Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chromatography Silica 60Å, 15-40µm
Mateo_swe
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-8-2021 at 05:43
Chromatography Silica 60Å, 15-40µm

Does anybody know any shop/webstore in EU that sells chromatography silica gel 60, 0.015–0.04mm for a decent price?
I just need 1kg or 2.

My ordinary supplier only has 60Å, 40-63µm, but i need 60Å 15-40µm.
And i need a shop that sells to private individuals as im a hobbyist and i dont have a company.
Chromatography silica doesnt seem to be common in the stores that sells to private people.

I guess i could ask one of the EU based sellers that have sell-threads on this forum, but it would be easier if i could order it myself somewhere.
Any ideas?
Even ebay doesnt seem to have any 60Å, 15-45µm silica.
happyfooddance
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-8-2021 at 09:33

You could grind and sieve it yourself: be careful if you do as this can be very dangerous. Do not use plastic anything as static electricity can send that stuff flying.

I usually construct a sealed apparatus to do the deed, and transfers can be tricky and require a little engineering.
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-8-2021 at 12:57

Check eBay.de. Bought me some stuff from there.

Also, check the Reagents section, I believe Mario could get you some.

Grinding silica gel is something I would absolutely not do. It generates silica dust, which is almost as harmful as asbestos, and even if you had PPE, you will contaminate all of your surroundings with the dust, which persists.

I ground some powdered reagents by having a grinder, bucket and a sieve inside a large, transparent plastic bag, which I made very rudimentary holes for hands and was able to contain basically all of the dust. This, if you can't do it outdoors. If it's toxic, this is not nearly enough containment, though.
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 13-8-2021 at 18:17

Mixing vinegar and baking soda produces gas that kills all animals. AND causes global warming.

If SiO2 was so dangerous that grinding silica gel would be so scary, everyone living in or near deserts would be dead.

There must be a reason "crystalline" silica is always specified?

Does anyone have factual data on the risks of dried silica gel, not to be confused with submicron quartz?

The only way to obtain a usable amount of vacuum chromatography gel by grinding is with a large ball mill or something, which will be sealed anyways. I'm not sure that good ball mills can be bought at any price these days.

[Edited on 14-8-2021 by S.C. Wack]

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
Mateo_swe
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-8-2021 at 00:54

I dont want to grind silica myself so buying it is probably the only option.
I could not measure the particle size even if i try grind some myself and the dust isnt healthy.
I dont find any at ebay.de, maybe it pops up sometimes but right now i cant find any sellers.
I have looked at alibaba but the chinese cant specify microns, mesh etc. correctly so ordering from alibaba probably will be a lottery what one actually get.

I found a few webshops that have 0,015-0,04mm silica but i dont know if they sell to private individuals and the prices are mostly very high.
Standard cromatography silica 60A, 40-63µm i can buy at 33Euro for a kg or 2.5kg for 60Euro.
If looking at several other webshops it seems many want like 100Euros for a kilo or even more, thats really expensive.
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-8-2021 at 06:56

Quote: Originally posted by S.C. Wack  

There must be a reason "crystalline" silica is always specified?

Does anyone have factual data on the risks of dried silica gel, not to be confused with submicron quartz?

[Edited on 14-8-2021 by S.C. Wack]

Amorphous silica- i.e. silica gel is counted as "nuisance dust" in terms of toxicity with a workplace exposure limit of 5 mg/m3
Crystalline silica has a limit of 0.1 mg/m3
Mateo_swe
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-8-2021 at 05:23

The think the dangers with silica dust is related to the particle size.
Any powder with around the same particle size (or smaller) and that the body cant break down or get rid of naturally are really bad if inhaled.
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-8-2021 at 09:49

Quote: Originally posted by Mateo_swe  

Any powder with around the same particle size (or smaller) and that the body cant break down or get rid of naturally are really bad if inhaled.

Which is why silica gel which is soft an soluble is much less hazardous than crystalline silica which is neither.

Go To Top