Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: What happened to NileRed, NurdRage, Chemplayer and Doug?
Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-8-2021 at 10:19

Quote: Originally posted by Keras  
Quote: Originally posted by Bmoore55  
I think everyone is being a bit tough on NileRed, he is currently moving and expanding his lab so that makes it very difficult to put out “new” material.

I'm not sure why he needs an upgraded lab. The premises he worked in during his last videos were already more than luxurious (unless he had a spat with his neighbours). I have cancelled my support, but if he resumes releasing quality videos, I'm more than willing to back him again.

To be honest I have only heard this through word of mouth. Several people say he is working on his new lab but I have never been shown evidence of it. Not saying it isn't true as I have not really followed NileRed for some time now but if anybody actually has evidence of why he needed to upgrade is already amazing lab would be nice.

The only thing I could possibly see as why is maybe zoning issues and he was forced to move. Or as MidLifeChemist said, maybe lease renewal issue or new scene.

SuperOxide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-8-2021 at 20:40

Quote: Originally posted by Syn the Sizer  
Quote: Originally posted by Bmoore55  
I think everyone is being a bit tough on NileRed, he is currently moving and expanding his lab so that makes it very difficult to put out “new” material.

I'm not sure why he needs an upgraded lab. The premises he worked in during his last videos were already more than luxurious (unless he had a spat with his neighbours). I have cancelled my support, but if he resumes releasing quality videos, I'm more than willing to back him again.

To be honest I have only heard this through word of mouth. Several people say he is working on his new lab but I have never been shown evidence of it. Not saying it isn't true as I have not really followed NileRed for some time now but if anybody actually has evidence of why he needed to upgrade is already amazing lab would be nice.

The only thing I could possibly see as why is maybe zoning issues and he was forced to move. Or as MidLifeChemist said, maybe lease renewal issue or new scene.

Evidence? Here ya go

I almost signed up to be a patreon, but it said he gets almost $7,500 per creation... Which is awesome, but I would think he could stop worrying about getting demonetized on YT at that point and go back to some of his own stuff... You know, chemistry. lol.

But like stated above - he's just a scienctainment channel now. Seems like a cool dude (seen him on William Osmans channel, Explosions&Fire, and a few others), but there's just no doubt that his channel seems to get more boring with the more money he makes, lol.

P.S. I hope this doesn't come off as me being jealous of his awesome old lab, and whatever his new one will be. He's done a lot of work, and has earned the support he gets from his patreons. I honestly think its amazing that he was able to get as far as he is. It just sucks that the "new" NileRed is more basic physics demonstrations, recycling old videos, or throwing glassware around. Very little chemistry. It does go to show that it's not the lab that made his channel great, it was the content. Some of his best videos were filmed in his garage.

[Edited on 19-8-2021 by SuperOxide]

Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-8-2021 at 20:51

Quote: Originally posted by SuperOxide  

Evidence? Here ya go

Awesome man, thanks, I haven't watched many of his videos for some time so missed that.

Triflic Acid
Hazard to Others

Mood: Slowly Oxidizing into Oblivion

[*] posted on 19-8-2021 at 06:00

I agree that some of his best videos were when he was working in his garage. I mean, I guess we are all biased, given that we all work exclusively in our garages, but back then his audience was mostly chemists. Now, he has to give content that the majority of people will want to watch, in order to get money.

There wasn't a fire, we just had an uncontrolled rapid oxidation event at the power plant.
SuperOxide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-8-2021 at 18:17

Quote: Originally posted by karolus28  
There is a way though. I have the same shit happening but I use youtubensfw.com . So basically when you're on an age restricted video, you just add "nsfw" to the url, click enter and it will redirect you to that site. After you click the link below the video should play.

... Well that's pretty awesome.

I get age restricted stuff a lot, but I never remember having to give anything to actually verify my age. I think YT accounts are linked to Gmail accounts now, right? Maybe that's why. I mean I never had to verify my age on my Gmail account either, but I've been using it for so long, maybe it just automatically assumes I'm of age, lol.

Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-8-2021 at 01:20

Quote: Originally posted by SuperOxide  
I think YT accounts are linked to Gmail accounts now, right?

They certainly are. Google is smart enough to link both sides.

Also, I never got any age check either.

As for NileRed, I regret his pandering to a less demanding public. I suppose he could shoot mainstream ‘low-quality’ videos while still maintaining a stream of high-end chemistry videos.
SuperOxide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-8-2021 at 04:40

As for NileRed, I regret his pandering to a less demanding public. I suppose he could shoot mainstream ‘low-quality’ videos while still maintaining a stream of high-end chemistry videos.

He'd rather spend his time filming the "shorts", lol.

karolus28
Hazard to Self

Mood: zgrzyt

[*] posted on 20-8-2021 at 06:13

Honestly, the "shorts" stuff is well.. not the best thing he made, but he's at the "top" of youtube, milliions of subscribers. If you're a big youtuber, yt has requirements for you, they want you to post regularly, if you don't do that, they might as as well cut you off and limit your views. So they want you to post a lot of shorts and make them money. Also these small videos he makes go aaalll the way to tiktok, so he's gathering a new(I assume giant) audience full of "normies" as the redditors call it.
SuperOxide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-8-2021 at 10:23

Quote: Originally posted by karolus28  
Honestly, the "shorts" stuff is well.. not the best thing he made, but he's at the "top" of youtube, milliions of subscribers. If you're a big youtuber, yt has requirements for you, they want you to post regularly, if you don't do that, they might as as well cut you off and limit your views. So they want you to post a lot of shorts and make them money. Also these small videos he makes go aaalll the way to tiktok, so he's gathering a new(I assume giant) audience full of "normies" as the redditors call it.

But this goes back to the patreon stuff, if he really earns over $7k/video, then you would think the requirements of YT would be less important and the quality of the chemistry would be what he concentrates on. Just my opinion.

Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 14-9-2021 at 11:27

Doug is alive and well, just busy.
valeg96
Hazard to Others

Mood: Moodless

[*] posted on 21-9-2021 at 01:45

Keras and SuperOxide: if you ever made a purchase on the web linked to that email, google knows your identity and that's why you don't have to prove your age. That's unfortunate because this restriction makes all alt accounts useless, if you have to submit an ID or payment info.

Also, glad to see people sharing my distaste in videos where NileRed throws stuff around to make fun videos or smashes stuff. I remember talking with some fellow chemists about this back when he started getting very mainstream and being accused of being envious. I just don't like people throwing stuff around for fun, and for years I seemed the odd one out.

Also, glad to hear Doug is fine. His videos were some of the best around!

[Edited on 21-9-2021 by valeg96]

stamasd
Hazard to Others

Mood: moody

[*] posted on 23-9-2021 at 08:49

NurdRage and E&F are the only ones I'm still actively following... Hopefully NR comes back soon. I always found his videos the most interesting and useful of the whole bunch. I've watched all of ChemPlayer's material several times and I hope they come back and make more at some point, but after such a long time I'm kinda losing hope.

(edit) ah and another one I have discovered not long ago and which I like is PoorMansChemist https://www.youtube.com/c/PoorMansChemist/videos

[Edited on 23-9-2021 by stamasd]

All your acids are belong to us.
SuperOxide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-10-2021 at 09:43

Quote: Originally posted by stamasd  
NurdRage and E&F are the only ones I'm still actively following... Hopefully NR comes back soon. I always found his videos the most interesting and useful of the whole bunch. I've watched all of ChemPlayer's material several times and I hope they come back and make more at some point, but after such a long time I'm kinda losing hope.

(edit) ah and another one I have discovered not long ago and which I like is PoorMansChemist https://www.youtube.com/c/PoorMansChemist/videos

Yes, I feel the exact same way. PMC is pretty awesome as well, even though he feels it's important to start every video with some political rant >_<

Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-10-2021 at 13:34

I do really like PoorMansChemist, hell, I run his Discord server for him. He himself is political in his videos but we do not allow politics in his Discord server.

Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-10-2021 at 11:43

The golden rule number one: never mix in politics, unless you run a politics channel, podcast or whatever that is based on ranting about stuff.

You really don't have to rant about how the big bad gov has banned x and y, instead just do a video how to make them. You can send a message and your viewers will agree with you without ever saying it out loud.
MichaelBijanAfghani
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-11-2021 at 10:22

it seems like YouTube hobby chemists don't last very long. It's such a hard and time-consuming and expensive way to be a YouTuber, they burn out and/or get too busy with life, let alone manage to post a new video every week.

Michael Bijan Afghani

macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 15-11-2021 at 10:59

I prefer nurdrage, nilered and E&F.
PMC has good content but the politics is hard to get past.
Particularly the covid crud, which is anti-science.

ps. doug is good too.

[Edited on 15-11-2021 by macckone]
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

Mood: satyric

[*] posted on 15-11-2021 at 12:05

Quote: Originally posted by macckone  

that dude is just top level stupid.

i once knew an egyptian coptic ordthodox christian, a researcher with a PhD in medicine and pharmacology studying the influence of Fluoroquinolone antibiotics on pancreatic cells, really a bright guy. once over lunch talk somehow the topic of evolution came up and it turns out he's a creationist as well. i asked him about how human fetuses at various stages of development somehow look like reptiles/aquatic animals etc. and if it wasn't at least a clue towards proving the concept of evolution right, and he outright denied that fetuses even do that and any photographic evidence of that is absolutely fake. :o :o

[Edited on 15-11-2021 by stoichiometric_steve]
SuperOxide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-11-2021 at 19:58

Quote: Originally posted by stoichiometric_steve  
Quote: Originally posted by macckone  

that dude is just top level stupid....

Ah man, idk about that. I mean I'm no genius or anything, but he seems very smart to me, and I learn a lot watching his videos.
Regarding his politics, even though I agree with most (not all) of his political views, it's a little tiring to hear politics come from every direction, then get them even from there. I suppose from his perspective he has a platform and political views he feels are important enough to put on a chemistry channel, but from my standpoint as a viewer, I wish he would at least keep the politics to a minimum.
But... he can do with it as he wants :-) Im sure he knows how people feel about it.

Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 19-11-2021 at 04:45

About NileRed, it is just a behaviour i noticed in many channels.
They start small, gather a nice niche, doing specific out of the ordinary stuff. Their quality increases and they start to get more subscribers/donators.
The pool of people interested in that kind of stuff is pretty limited though, so to expand and get more views/subs/patreons they start making videos on "normie" subjects. The pool of normies is a few orders of magnitude greater than us, so it isn't profitable anymore to work a few weeks to make a single video that would be watched by maybe 300k people, once they honed their style they can get millions of views out of a single video that took them a few days to make.

My best example is The King Of Random. I subscribed on his 5th video probably, he had cool projects and shoot them in a professional way. With the growing of views and subs each video got dumber and dumber, and in the end i just ignored every video he/they poster. I unsubscribed the channel the year before his death, and now the channel isn't any better.

Nurdrage oscillated between "normie stuff" and cool projects, i think his idea was to get enough money from the simple and hopefully viral videos to fund his more scientific and interesting ones.

I can see why one would feel down seeing the video they worked on for weeks getting 50k views, while the video they shot for shits and giggles got 3mil views.
If you have passion and a job, you can do whatever you want, if youtube is your job, you need to produce something that earns you money.

Big youtubers simply can't do it for passion anymore

Before anyone says that patreon gets you out of the youtube ads policy, giving you more freedom to do whatever you want, eh yes and no, people are greedy, 10k a month for shooting simple stuff is still better than 10k a month while busting your ass off

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-11-2021 at 02:08

Quote: Originally posted by Ubya  
About NileRed, it is just a behaviour i noticed in many channels.
They start small, gather a nice niche, doing specific out of the ordinary stuff. Their quality increases and they start to get more subscribers/donators.
The pool of people interested in that kind of stuff is pretty limited though, so to expand and get more views/subs/patreons they start making videos on "normie" subjects. The pool of normies is a few orders of magnitude greater than us, so it isn't profitable anymore to work a few weeks to make a single video that would be watched by maybe 300k people, once they honed their style they can get millions of views out of a single video that took them a few days to make.
[…]

Yeah, I quite agree. I’m just wondering what NileRed's is living off these days, given that he outputs videos at a *very* slow rate.

Sic transit gloria mundi, as the Romans used to say…

[Edited on 20-11-2021 by Keras]
Bedlasky
International Hazard

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 20-11-2021 at 09:29

Few months ago I came around a channel Applied science. And I must recommended this one. He doesn't post frequently (cca 1 video per 2 months), but quality of videos is really good. He always pick some very interesting topic.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AppliedScience/videos

macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 30-11-2021 at 10:42

nurdrage posted a couple of days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLEo57DXgiE
SuperOxide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-11-2021 at 16:11

Quote: Originally posted by Bedlasky  
Few months ago I came around a channel Applied science. And I must recommended this one. He doesn't post frequently (cca 1 video per 2 months), but quality of videos is really good. He always pick some very interesting topic.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AppliedScience/videos

I also can't recommend his channel enough.. He has some amazing videos. He has one where he built a mass spectrometer from an old popular science magazine article, definitely my favorite.

DIY mass spectrometer measures potassium in dietary salt substitute

Hes probably one of the best science related YT channels, I just didn't include him in this list because he only has a few chemistry related videos.

[Edited on 1-12-2021 by SuperOxide]

SuperOxide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-11-2021 at 16:19

Yeah, I quite agree. I’m just wondering what NileRed's is living off these days, given that he outputs videos at a *very* slow rate.

Sic transit gloria mundi, as the Romans used to say…

That's for sure. I was on his patreon for a bit, and I did see he had more videos there, and I forgot how much he makes per a video, but it's something like $7k. I think his silly little "NileRed Shorts" are maybe to get more people attracted to his channel, then his old videos get them to sign up to patreon, maybe? Just speculation.

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top