Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Unsure if Followed Dinitrophenol Synthesis Correctly
CwisGons
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-8-2021 at 19:28
Unsure if Followed Dinitrophenol Synthesis Correctly

Hello everyone. I tried to follow this procedure in order to make dinitrophenol:
https://sci-hub.st/10.1055/s-2003-42063

Once I mixed everything, there was some red gas (probably nitrogen dioxide) and I had to go outside. Also, I added the TCCA, then the Sodium nitrite together, next the wet silicon dioxide, and then the phenol. Once the reaction completed, I washed it with DCM and filtered it. It created a very red filtrate which doesn't look anything like the yellow dinitrophenol. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

IMG_6782.JPG - 2.2MB
Triflic Acid
Hazard to Others

Mood: Slowly Oxidizing into Oblivion

[*] posted on 14-8-2021 at 06:57

That looks like tar, did you keep the temperature under control? Generally phenol nitration is pretty messy

There wasn't a fire, we just had an uncontrolled rapid oxidation event at the power plant.
CwisGons
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-8-2021 at 14:23

How do I keep the temperature down? It heated up really fast when I mixed the TCCA and sodium nitrite, and released nitrogen dioxide. I have two ideas:
Could I freeze the wetted silica?
Or should I keep the reacting mixture in salted ice water?
Do you have any other ideas?
Boffis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-8-2021 at 03:51

Have you tried steam distillation for the optimistic :)? Mix the reaction mixture with water instead of DCM and boil it off into a condenser.

I must admit that the reaction sounds too good to be true. The way I see it, you mix a fuel with a highly reactive oxidizing agent then add another equally reactive oxidizing agent and finally a catalyst for good measure. With no solvent there is no means of thermal homogenization so you are going to get localised overheating and with such a mixture this is surely going to lead to a hellish heterogeneous reaction mixture and therefore charring and tar formation. Nitrating phenol with ice-cold dilute nitric acid is problematic enough but this procedure is much less controllable.

To be honest I think you are lucky to still have your eyebrows (I presume you still do!). I have seen this paper before but never tried it because it didn't sound like the sort of reaction that I could safely scale up. So I have to congratulate you for your attempt and don't be too disheartened.

One point though is that in the paper they give the example of 4-chlorophenol. This phenol is considerably less susceptible to oxidation and so maybe the reaction works better on such a substrate.

Go To Top