Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Disposal of Nitrogen Oxides
Runic7
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-9-2021 at 04:36
Disposal of Nitrogen Oxides

Reposting this here cause it fits the specific board better:

Hello all, I'm looking to perform a reaction involving liberation of quite a lot of nitrogen dioxide. How can I efficiently neutralize this toxic gas? I've looked into multiple methods from the use of bubbling it through a 20% NaOH solution and a solution of sodium sulfite. I also found some have found success using a solution of 35% hydrogen peroxide. Another way to do it that came up was the use of drying agents to absorb the gas such as Drierite or silica gel. So now I have a couple questions left unanswered. Would the first possibly produce nitrogen monoxide? Just another poisonous gas that defeats the whole purpose of neutralization.. Do the drying agents actually work, and have any of you found personal success with them? Finally, which of these methods is most efficient? If I've missed a method that may be worth exploring, please let me know. Thanks! :)
teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-9-2021 at 10:42

NO gas (which is not possible to absorb by water) could be absorbed with an aqueous solution of acidic FeSO4. It forms Fe(NO)SO4 complex. I didn't try that but I already posted references where this method was studied.
For NO2 I see no problems if you have water.
DBX Labs
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 15-9-2021 at 13:44

From my experience, bubbling NO2 through a 10% ammonium hydroxide solution will capture almost all of the NO2. The drawback with a simple single bubbler like this is that the air bubbles that do surface are saturated with aerosolized ammonium nitrate. This can be visible as small white clouds of "smoke" that are carried up by each neutralized bubble.

Runic7
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-9-2021 at 16:17

Thanks teodor and DBX for the responses. I'll attempt to try both methods to the best of my ability. Possibly the iron sulfate could be used in combination with water.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 15-9-2021 at 16:39

NO reacts readily with oxygen to form NO2.
My suggestion is to draw off your gases with a vacuum pump but have a hole in the hose so that you draw excess air in as well. That will ensure you are working with NO2 only. Then bubble through a solution of NaOH. You could either calculate the NaOH so that it is stiochiometric with your synthesis or you could add an indicator so that you know when it is depleted.
Runic7
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-9-2021 at 19:40

Update: It worked! For anyone else that needs this information in the future, I found success in bubbling the reaction by-products (NO2, and NO) first through a cold 20% solution of NaOH, then bubbling the NO through a solution of Iron(II) sulfate. In the Iron sulfate solution, a brown participate formed when the gas rushed into the flask. I was left with what I can only assume is a complex ion of [Fe(H2O)5(NO)]2+.

Thanks again for all the help! -Runic

[Edited on 9-16-2021 by Runic7]
Johnny Cappone
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 16-9-2021 at 18:30

Quite interesting thread. I've been thinking about NOx absorption/neutralization last week. By the way, I know that when distilling nitric acid from a nitrate and H2SO4 some NO2 inevitably forms; would some NO also be formed? If so, would a solution of H2O2 oxidize it to HNO3/NO2? I know atmospheric air does a good job.

teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-12-2021 at 08:52

I was thinking about a more stable binding of NO than [Fe(H2O)5(NO)]2+ anion and eventually, I found

"There is, however, another
absorbent for nitric oxide which leaves nothing to be desired, whose
use and value have remained unknown. This is a strong solution of
either sodium or potassium sulphite to which a little alkali hydroxide
has been added. It quickly absorbs every trace of nitric oxide, which
it fixes in the form of hyponitrososulphate, Na2N2O2SO3"

Attachment: divers1899.pdf (52kB)
This file has been downloaded 234 times

I believe somebody (probably woelen) mentioned this method before, but I think it should be mentioned in this thread because, according to the article, it is far better absorbent than Fe(2+) salt.

Now I am curious, could be Na2N2O2SO3 isolated in a crystalline form.

Go To Top