Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ballistic visor as face protection?
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-10-2021 at 02:00
Ballistic visor as face protection?

Originally this idea came up when I was doing vacuum distillations and though of safety measures in case of implosion and glass fragments and possible hot, corrosive liquids. Even a single, small glass shard in eye will immediately cause inability to operate visually, and can cause permanent damage or blindness in long run.

visor.jpg - 27kB

Has anyone got experiences on these equipment? They may not actually be up to NIJ standards, but should be good for stopping smaller-than-bullet-fragments. Ordinary polycarbonate face shields that are used for grinding and corona can also be an option, but the sheet is usually very thin, and may not protect against fragments that have higher energy. It would serve as an all-purpose face shield, from splashes to dust to small particles and all the way to actual high energy fragments, in the worst case scenario. Even common M-80 type firework device can blast fragments up to very high velocities, including possible tools that are used to manipulate the device. For the record of safety, manipulating these devices would be wise with pliers and other devices that create a distance from fingers, as blast damage from skin explosion will usually be total, but even few cm cap can reduce the damage even down to zero.

It would also be useful for angle grinder work, in case the disk explodes, which definitely is not stopped by corona visor. I have never had an exploded disk, but apparently it can be quite devastating event. This is especially crucial as I often do precision work with angle grinder, as it is extremely versatile and fast way to work high tensile materials without heavy duty machining equipment.

[Edited on 1-10-2021 by Fyndium]
Nitrosio
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-10-2021 at 09:40

Tetranitromethane can be used as a component of highly explosive liquid explosives as an oxidizing agent. It forms highly explosive mixtures with all flammable substances. When experimenting with this substance, do not use paper for filtration! Even small impurities make tetranitromethane an explosive that explodes on impact or friction. A tragic lecture experiment at the University of Münster in 1920 is well known, where a small steel tube containing tetranitromethane, toluene and absorbent cotton detonated shortly before burning out in such a way that more than 30 students were injured, some seriously;[15] however, on the basis of the rector's office records, as many as 10 deaths and more than a dozen injuries are documented.[16] Thereupon the German Chemical-technical Reichsanstalt determined a detonation speed of 9300 meters per second. Alfred Stettbacher then proved comparatively that this mixture was far more explosive than hexogen, pentrite, blasting gelatine or panclastite and thus represented the most destructive explosive of all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetranitromethane
Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 1-10-2021 at 11:26

I have real problems seeing how an imploding flask could generate anything that would rival an angle grinder. So if it's rated for power tools it should be safe for glass.

In many cases I would be more concerned about the content.

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
1-10-2021 at 15:13

Go To Top