Author: Subject: Bugger YouTube
j_sum1
Administrator

Member Is Online

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 7-10-2021 at 03:24
Bugger YouTube

Venting here.

I just had a vid removed by YT. Yes, I know my channrl is neglected, has very few views and goes nowhere towards the aspirations I originally had but still, it is disappointing.

The video in question was an unsuccessful oxidation of toluene to benzaldehyde. It was titled, Benzaldehyde attempt 1. It had maybe 100 views in the three years it has been there.. Apparently, according to YT, I am instructing people kn how to make drugs. (Roll eyes)

What really smarts is the fact that I intended to have another go at some stage. There were some really insightful and useful comments made. And now those are lost.

Small stuff, I know. But annoying nontheless. If I hadn't mentioned the product in the title, I doubt it would have ever been noticed. I might give it a little time and upload again as toluene oxidation. Probably worth casting a critical eye over the remaining vids too.

Anyway, bugger youtube.
karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 7-10-2021 at 04:18

Damn, that sucks :(

I've also heard just today, that PoorMansChemist's videos are taken down right now, one after the other.

verrückt und wissenschaftlich
ShotBored
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-10-2021 at 04:32

Does YT have any form of recourse or appeals process for this bullshit? Is there any way to be able to lay out facts and possibly reverse the decision?
B(a)P
International Hazard

Member Is Online

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 7-10-2021 at 04:36

Sorry to hear that, what a shame. I had no idea benzaldehyde was an intermediate for an illicit substance. Either way I thought it was a pretty common and easily accessible compound? I actually watched and enjoyed that video, it seems wrong that you loose all of the comments also. YT is definitely heading in the wrong direction.
teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-10-2021 at 05:46

It is very bad. But probably we should understand that youtube is not a kind of social achievement, like a public library, it is just a private company.
I am wondering, how it would be legal to keep such kind of chemical videos on dedicated hosting. And link them from SM. With a kind of moderation, of course, but by people how at least understand chemistry. If you think it would be valuable addition to the board I will think and try to find the way to manage the IT part and the hosting itself. Because PoorMansChemist's and j_sum1's videos should really belong to the community, not to a private company.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 7-10-2021 at 06:11

Quote: Originally posted by teodor  
I am wondering, how it would be legal to keep such kind of chemical videos on dedicated hosting. And link them from SM. With a kind of moderation, of course, but by people how at least understand chemistry. If you think it would be valuable addition to the board I will think and try to find the way to manage the IT part and the hosting itself. Because PoorMansChemist's and j_sum1's videos should really belong to the community, not to a private company.

DavidJR attempted to do exactly what you described a few years ago, shortly after ChemPlayer got shut down:
https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=82...

It was short lived. To stand a chance at longevity, any future attempt would need to be at least somewhat decentralized. A community video hosting service can’t effectively be managed and hosted by a single person, no matter how pure their intentions.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 7-10-2021 at 06:19

You might want to check out LBRY

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.
teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-10-2021 at 06:33

Quote: Originally posted by Texium  
DavidJR attempted to do exactly what you described a few years ago, shortly after ChemPlayer got shut down:
https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=82...

It was short lived. To stand a chance at longevity, any future attempt would need to be at least somewhat decentralized. A community video hosting service can’t effectively be managed and hosted by a single person, no matter how pure their intentions.

I agree. I don't mean to manage it personally but I can make & host it for some time. And the actual videos/comments could be accessible by torrents, git or any other ways and everybody who want will be able to mirror it and put it in his/her own hosting. This way the things like, let say, Linux operating system was developed. It never was hosted only in a single place. This is the difference between "a company asset" and "a social asset".

I will try to examine the experience of DavidJR as well as anything you will mention in comments.

Also, if somebody can make it better, I will appreciate & use it. But I think I also have some relevant experience for this kind of job and I am doing some internet research, so I have a plan also to extend my resources available for hosting.

But the discussion should be open. It would be interesting to know what do you think about such a project.

[Edited on 7-10-2021 by teodor]
Fulmen
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-10-2021 at 08:56

https://lbry.com/

https://lbry.com/faq/what-is-lbry

https://odysee.com/

teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-10-2021 at 09:48

So, how I can make my own mirror of lbry or odysee, Fulmen?

Edit: I suppose it is not by any means easy. With a block chain technology you need usually
1) a special application (and nobody normally have time to fix or modify it except its creator. But its creator usually also have no time - I know because I was a creator of dozen such services already)
2) have to store EVERYTHING which is hosted on this platform, not only chemical video
3) be dependent on miners.
I have no idea why we need something so complex.
We can make just a site, put the code & instruction how to deploy it in some public access (github), allow torrents/ftp to mirror its content and put some redirection page on SM which will switch from one hoster to another one if previous one will have a problem. Or switch randomly to distribute load if several hosters want to keep it.

Also we need some administrator rights which could be different if different people will host it, so wee need some mechanism to merge edits made on different server. This is the most tricky part and definitely not something we should start with.

Also, this should be intentionally for video copyrighted with some free license, which should be accessible without fee or donations. For everything else we already have nice services like youtube, patreon etc.

Fulmen
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-10-2021 at 11:46

Why would you make your own mirror? Just use LBRY to host/distribute the vids. It's an open, proclaimed censor-free alternative to Youtube.

UC235
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-10-2021 at 15:15

Seems they rolled out some sort of new filter or algorithm because I just got dinged for Phenylacetylene of all things. Chloroform and nitric acid still fine, apparently. Well, youtube can suck a dick. I'm just going to put everything on unlisted. Won't break links to the videos but they're unsearchable. Let me know in U2U if you want a link to anything.
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 7-10-2021 at 16:48

Y'all haven't been spending enough time on-site and/or clicking enough ads? Maybe a video/creator has to generate revenue (for youtube) each year, or Some Excuse is given to delete it? My Marianne Faithfull video (and nothing else) is still up after 15 years...because it has a jillion views. I suspect that many youtube and ebay takedowns are the end result of being targeted by a malicious individual...or LE.

Quote: Originally posted by karlos³  
PoorMansChemist's videos are taken down right now, one after the other.

Making cyanide is there. Other benzaldehyde videos are there. Nitroethane and mercuric salt videos...

Quote: Originally posted by B(a)P  
I had no idea benzaldehyde was an intermediate for an illicit substance.

It's hard to believe but the more discussed subjects here are drug and explosive precursors...and poisons, but that also kind of comes with the territory.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
Tdep
National Hazard

Mood: PhD is done! It isn't good but it's over lol

[*] posted on 7-10-2021 at 20:55

Hearing lots of reports of video takedowns over the last day or so on old chemistry videos. AussieChemist had a phosphoric acid video with a strike, and Corrosion got a strike on a triphenyl bismuth video. Both for drug synthesis.

Looks like a change in the strike algorithm. This happens from time to time, Youtube changes what 'the great big machine overlord' is looking for, and a whole heap of videos suddenly get strikes. Stay safe everyone, it should pass. Hopefully Youtube re-adjusts soon and can start to realise that not all chem is goddamn drugs
wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-10-2021 at 05:17

About ten years ago I posted on youtube a short video of curious young lambs checking me out. It is still up and it only has 16 looks and one like.

Perhaps youtube likes cute lambs more than chemistry.

I am wg48 but not on my usual pc hence the temp handle.
Thank goodness for Fleming and the fungi.
Old codger' lives matters, wear a mask and help save them.
Be aware of demagoguery, keep your frontal lobes fully engaged.
I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.
teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-10-2021 at 05:49

Quote: Originally posted by wg48temp9  

Try to post a video about some lamb with the name "Mercury".
wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-10-2021 at 10:04

Quote: Originally posted by teodor  
Quote: Originally posted by wg48temp9  

Try to post a video about some lamb with the name "Mercury".

Yes I suppose we could probe the rejection criteria by posting various videos with suspected rejection criteria.

I am wg48 but not on my usual pc hence the temp handle.
Thank goodness for Fleming and the fungi.
Old codger' lives matters, wear a mask and help save them.
Be aware of demagoguery, keep your frontal lobes fully engaged.
I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 8-10-2021 at 10:42

I have no trouble finding songs about cocaine on YouTube......

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 8-10-2021 at 12:23

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  
I have no trouble finding songs about cocaine on YouTube......

From white lines "Little jack horner, sat on the corner with no shoes or clothes because he took his money and sniffed it up his nose".

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of the drug.

The real problem is almost anything can be used to make one drug or another. If you start with methanol, ethanol and glycerine, you can make the vast majority of organic compounds with the correct hetero inputs. Obviously this is not efficient but it is possible.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 8-10-2021 at 13:02

Video of me firing a fully automatic Sten Gun on YouTube, and another with a nutty Lady friend of mine getting the shit knocked out her (willingly) by a Anti-Bark shock collar. But let's shit can science instead, WTF we need to learn anything for?

*edit* isn't "bugger" pretty vulgar in Oz? Curious. And if so "Bugger" them assholes.

[Edited on 10-8-2021 by arkoma]

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

j_sum1
Administrator

Member Is Online

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 8-10-2021 at 14:14

To answer the language use question, "bugger" got signigicantly toned down in NZ a couple of decades ago as the result of a highly popular Toyota ad on TV. (Ironically, an aussie actor.) Let's see if I can find it.
https://youtu.be/ZUNJd06iyWU

We could all conduct an experiment by posting cat videos titled phenylpropanone and see what happens.
CouchHatter
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-10-2021 at 14:19

It's a slim shot, but someone might have archived the page on archive.org. If you can still dig up the video ID from bookmarks or history, it'd be worth checking. Not that I've ever had luck with this method, but in theory, it could work. Especially if you're mostly interested in comments.
TheMrbunGee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Phosphorising

[*] posted on 10-10-2021 at 05:51

I got my ammonium permanganate prep video removed, I made an appeal, because they claimed it was narcotics cookery video, which was surprise for me. Can anyone explain what narcotics I am able to make since I have ammonium permanganate and I could really use some? :D

karolus28
Hazard to Self

Mood: zgrzyt

[*] posted on 10-10-2021 at 06:20

I think KMnO4 is used for making coke so I guess the algorithm just connected some facts

Hi, please read about exif data.
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-10-2021 at 07:34

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Venting here.
I just had a vid removed by YT. Yes, I know my channrl is neglected, has very few views and goes nowhere towards the aspirations I originally had but still, it is disappointing.

Upload it on the Internet Archive.
That’s what Chemplayer did.

[Edited on 10-10-2021 by Keras]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top