Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Supplier of unusual inorganic from Poland
Boffis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-10-2021 at 02:29
Supplier of unusual inorganic from Poland

Over the years a supplier of unusual inorganic compounds has been referred to on this forum but now I cannot find the name. The name is, as far as I recall, something like "Oxymet" but I have tried searching for this with the search engine and I have tried various similar name but I can't find a single reference.

Can someone please enlighten me as to the correct name? I believe the business is in Poland.
chemship1978
Harmless

[*] posted on 31-10-2021 at 02:33

https://onyxmet.com/
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 31-10-2021 at 02:59

And they provide great service, worldwide!
Boffis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-10-2021 at 03:01

Very many thanks! Onyxmet… God my memory is going gaga.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 2-11-2021 at 01:16

Yes, I can wholeheartedly recommend Onyxmet. The owner of the company is very helpful and the quality of the products is good! I purchased rare and difficult to obtain chemicals from them quite a few times.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
metalresearcher
National Hazard

Mood: Reactive

[*] posted on 2-11-2021 at 02:52

I also recommend Onyxmet. Good experience with that helpful guy.
Admagistr
Hazard to Others

Mood: The dreaming alchemist

[*] posted on 5-12-2021 at 19:52

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
Yes, I can wholeheartedly recommend Onyxmet. The owner of the company is very helpful and the quality of the products is good! I purchased rare and difficult to obtain chemicals from them quite a few times.

As for Onyxmet, it often does not indicate the purity of the chemicals, while others are suspiciously often 99.9% pure. I had a lot of elements and chemicals brought in from Onyxmet, and sometimes the quality was very poor, and it was clear from a simple glance that there wasn't the stated purity of 99.9%! If I really care about cleanliness I prefer Chemcraft, even if it's outside the European Union and the purchase gets very expensive because of custom and the like...It's nothing personal at all against Mr Thomas, I'm sure he tries and he cares about quality too, but he doesn't always keep it safe and probably doesn't have expensive equipment to check for purity. The problem is probably his suppliers, not him...

[Edited on 6-12-2021 by Admagistr]
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 6-12-2021 at 00:14

I think that all good suppliers every now and then make mistakes or have less than ideal purity of their products. Overall, I am happy with Onyxmet's products, but I am equally happy with Chemcrafts' products. With both of these suppliers I indeed had a disappointment once, but that was only once:
- Onyxmet had MnCl2.2H2O, a beautiful bright pink solid (much brighter than the more common MnCl2.4H2O). But when I received it, it appeared to be adultered with and a pink dye was added. I mentioned this to Tom and he made his excuse and investigated his supplier.
- Chemcraft sold V2O4, a quite uncommon oxide of vanadium (normally you can buy V2O5). V2O4 is a dark blue, nearly black solid and I now how some from another supplier. Chemcraft's material was dark green with a brownish hint. While experimenting with it I found out that the material contained a lot of vanadium in +5 oxidation state and I think that it is some indeterminate mix of V2O4 and V2O5.

I purchased mainly display samples from Onyxmet (e.g. elemental As, 3N and 5N in old containers with original labels, many binary compounds). From Chemcraft I purchased some display samples, but mostly chemicals for experimenting.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Admagistr
Hazard to Others

Mood: The dreaming alchemist

[*] posted on 6-12-2021 at 14:37

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
I think that all good suppliers every now and then make mistakes or have less than ideal purity of their products. Overall, I am happy with Onyxmet's products, but I am equally happy with Chemcrafts' products. With both of these suppliers I indeed had a disappointment once, but that was only once:
- Onyxmet had MnCl2.2H2O, a beautiful bright pink solid (much brighter than the more common MnCl2.4H2O). But when I received it, it appeared to be adultered with and a pink dye was added. I mentioned this to Tom and he made his excuse and investigated his supplier.
- Chemcraft sold V2O4, a quite uncommon oxide of vanadium (normally you can buy V2O5). V2O4 is a dark blue, nearly black solid and I now how some from another supplier. Chemcraft's material was dark green with a brownish hint. While experimenting with it I found out that the material contained a lot of vanadium in +5 oxidation state and I think that it is some indeterminate mix of V2O4 and V2O5.

I purchased mainly display samples from Onyxmet (e.g. elemental As, 3N and 5N in old containers with original labels, many binary compounds). From Chemcraft I purchased some display samples, but mostly chemicals for experimenting.

Thank you Wilco for conveying your experience! I know an expert in synthesizing extra-pure inorganic compounds. He made them all his life and exported them through a company he co-owned around the world, His wife died recently and he dropped everything, he's an older man now. He still has his supplies. I also got some VO2 and V2O3 from him, and it's exactly the color it should be according to literary data! He also offers elements and compounds spectroscopically pure! He probably doesn't speak much English because he studied and worked during the Soviet occupation of our country and everyone had to know Russian compulsively, English could only be taught privately because unfortunately it was considered the language of an imperialist enemy...If you're interested, write me an email and I'll tell you the details and send you a link...
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 8-4-2022 at 17:53

So I just tried to place an order with Onyxmet. Can I ask those that have used them, are you supposed to pay based on the first confirmation email you get, or will they send another? If it is the first email, how do you make payment? Thanks in advance.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 8-4-2022 at 18:30

Every time I have ordered I have ended up having an email conversation with Tom to organise payment.

One time there was an option to make a direct deposit into an aussie bank account.
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 8-4-2022 at 18:36

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Every time I have ordered I have ended up having an email conversation with Tom to organise payment.

One time there was an option to make a direct deposit into an aussie bank account.

Ah good one, thanks for that.

Go To Top