Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: In a Polish plaster factory, rubies and sapphires are created by an unknown and undesirable process!
Admagistr
Hazard to Others

Mood: The dreaming alchemist

[*] posted on 15-11-2021 at 14:58
In a Polish plaster factory, rubies and sapphires are created by an unknown and undesirable process!

In the calcination furnace of one of Poland's plaster factories, by the corrosion of refractory lining of kiln emerges corundum - ruby and sapphires of different colours as well as dark blue. The process of their formation has not been satisfactorily explained and is undesirable because it disrupts the furnace lining...Is it possible that something similar is happening elsewhere in the world in the same or similar type of furnace...Has anyone experienced this? I'm sending a link to the article, Unfortunately, it's only in the Polish language, and I don't know that language well enough to translate it into English...But there are some pictures and expert information!

https://realgarblog.com/?p=232
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-11-2021 at 22:44

I just looked at this on Google and it translates it to english quite well.
Very interesting article. It seems like ruby was formed but in there analysis
it only says corundum formed al2o3 with no mention of Chrome or cobalt
anywhere. Maybe that's an issue with there equipment sensitivity or the type of analysis they did. I don't know but definitely looks like synthetic ruby stuff.
Either way it was a good read
Admagistr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-11-2021 at 16:00

Quote: Originally posted by draculic acid69  
I just looked at this on Google and it translates it to english quite well.
Very interesting article. It seems like ruby was formed but in there analysis
it only says corundum formed al2o3 with no mention of Chrome or cobalt
anywhere. Maybe that's an issue with there equipment sensitivity or the type of analysis they did. I don't know but definitely looks like synthetic ruby stuff.
Either way it was a good read

I've read that high-content refractory bricks of Al2O3 are often joined by Cr2O3 to improve their properties! Chamotte/andalusite, in turn, contains Ti and Fe oxides of natural origin. The blue colour of those Polish sapphires is certainly not caused by cobalt oxides, but the Fe and Ti oxides contained in chamotte and andalusite refractory materials as a natural ingredient. The best translator I know was developed in the Czech Republic, at Charles University, in Prague is based on neuron networks and artificial intelligence. It's free for non-commercial use, here's the link:
https://lindat.mff.cuni.cz/services/translation/
Okrutnik2137
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-11-2021 at 17:15

PL native here. If something is not clear or help with translation is needed just ask me.
Admagistr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-11-2021 at 17:46

Quote: Originally posted by Okrutnik2137  
PL native here. If something is not clear or help with translation is needed just ask me.

Great, thank you for me and the other members for the offer!

[Edited on 21-11-2021 by Admagistr]

Go To Top