Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ni-chrome wires from a toaster
karolus28
Hazard to Self

Mood: zgrzyt

[*] posted on 2-12-2021 at 10:59
Ni-chrome wires from a toaster

I acquired a broken toaster recently. Took it apart and took out two(thats why it was broken) lenghty pieces of nichrome tape and a few cool components too.

Hi, please read about exif data.
sauveurdumonde
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-12-2021 at 14:25

Good to know, what do you plan to use ni-chrome for?

"There is a shadow of a nation behind you, the hope of a people... yet it may not matter. The Divide still stands against us."
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 2-12-2021 at 19:24

THe mica sheets may be useful too.
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 2-12-2021 at 21:55

Space heaters are similarly useful.
karolus28
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 3-12-2021 at 08:10

Quote: Originally posted by sauveurdumonde  
Good to know, what do you plan to use ni-chrome for?

could be used for electric det caps I think,
also I have a wet dream od making an ostwald reactor - if the catalyst temperature won't be able to self sustain itself, some outside heating could help

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
The mica sheets may be useful too.

you mean the "walls"? haha I broke them up because they were wet, luckily I still have a bigger piece left

Actually a few days earlier I watched a video of someone initiating BP with nichrome from toaster and a few days after that we had a "troubling trash" day where you put troublesome things to deal with outside your house and they come pick it up. just before leaving to school i thought "I wish someone's toaster just broke" and when I finally went outside a 15 year old beauty was waiting for me to be torn apart

lolol pictures from that aliexpress link have exif GPS data in them

[Edited on 4-20-6969 by karolus28]

[Edited on 4-20-6969 by karolus28]

[Edited on 3-12-2021 by karolus28]

arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 3-12-2021 at 09:41

I cannibalized an old slow cooker and wrapped the tape around a fair sized soup can with the control unit still attached. I have occasion to need melted paraffin, and this does trick perfectly. Just push the "start" button until the "warm" indicator lights, and I need not fear burning down the house if I get distracted...................

I have a small electric furnace that I made out of kiln bricks and space heater nichrome. I learned rather quickly that nichrome does NOT like being spliced. 90% of my troubles were from splices (they pass total circuit current) and quickly overheat and burn up. Solder also pretty much useless.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-12-2021 at 10:45

I tried to remove nichrome wire from an iron that I didn't need anymore ,but I am not sure if I found it in there.

That being said, if you need nichrome wire, Aliexpress has many shops selling them real cheap:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32826888683.html?spm=a2g0s.9...

You can get 20 meters per spool with thickness ranging from 0.1mm to 0.45mm. I experimented with various sizes. I would think that the 0.20mm would be easiest to work with. While the thinner ones might require less power to heat up, they are far less solid and like to bounce around, meaning I needed to use more of it and getting it to attach correctly was harder. The 0.25mm (which I had first) doesn't have that problem.

I did manage to light up a 0.25mm wire electric match with 2 AA batteries. I used 22 ga wire. The wires were somewhat short, so I don't think it would work if you used longer wires.
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 4-12-2021 at 22:13

If you are going to buy wire go with kanthal a1.
It is only marginally more expensive and it has higher temperature rating and durability.
ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-12-2021 at 06:44

Quote: Originally posted by macckone  
If you are going to buy wire go with kanthal a1.
It is only marginally more expensive and it has higher temperature rating and durability.

I never of that... does it require less voltage/current to get it to heat up as well?
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 18-12-2021 at 03:00

as for det caps, you can just use steel sponge and maybe some "golden powder" near it as it ignites at low temperature, make it with chlorate and you dont need to mix it with water, if you do you will barely be able to dry it out without it self-igniting from temperature, ignites with about 60*C

if youre gonna do anything high-temperature related to fetch yourself some Al2O3 ceramic wool, its the highest grade stuff you can get and they sell it moderately cheap on wish, especially if youre lucky and the site glitches up.

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
karolus28
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-12-2021 at 07:39

huh the Al2O3 wool sounds cool.. do you know how to search on wish without getting socks and other clothes thrown in your face? Do you maybe have a link to the product because even If i just search "alumina" or "Al2O3" this bitch doesnt show a single product containing aluminum oxide

I am only able to find(NOT from wish tho) something like ceramic wool 40% Al2O3 60% SiO2 and they say that it can stand up to 1200*C so I might just buy that

[Edited on 18-12-2021 by karolus28]

Go To Top