Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Low-level atomic gardening of Ocimum basilicum
sauveurdumonde
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-2-2022 at 18:06
Low-level atomic gardening of Ocimum basilicum

I just started my experiment with atomic gardening of Ocimum basilicum (Sweet basil) by Am-241. In exactly one month from February 17th, 1:07 AM UTC, I will germinate and garden the seeds. For now, I will post my hypothesis and variables.

For my low-level radioactive source, I'm using approximately 3.5 μCi of Americium-241 (wrapped in aluminium foil to block α-particles and any possible β from reaction chains), taped to 20 seeds. The seeds are receiving about 2.56 μSv/hr of γ-radiation (this was calculated with this formula:

((x - y)0.80) = z

x being the reading of the source, y being the reading of the source through the seeds, z being the radiation absorbed by the seeds, all with estimated 80% efficiency.

(11.30 μSv/hr - 8.11 μSv/hr) x 0.80 = 2.56 μSv/hr absorbed. 1 month is 730 hours, so 2.56 μSv x 730 = 1.87 mSv absorbed dose, possibly more. The 80% efficiency was a generous subtraction

I hypothesize that the irradiated seeds will germinate and initially grow faster because the γ-rays will sterilize any mould or disease, but after the initial weeks, the growth will be stunted from genetic damage. I doubt that there will be any actual visible change- this dose is very low.

I'll post a report a few days after March 19th, and give an update on germination rates and any other notes. And, of course, updates when the plants actually grow.

"There is a shadow of a nation behind you, the hope of a people... yet it may not matter. The Divide still stands against us."
CharlieA
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-2-2022 at 20:00

quote: "I hypothesize that the irradiated seeds will germinate and initially grow faster because the γ-rays will sterilize any mould or disease, but after the initial weeks, the growth will be stunted from genetic damage. I doubt that there will be any actual visible change- this dose is very low."

To begin with, let me make the disclaimer that I know very little about biology, have never taken any biology course, or know very much about plant growth. This is not meant in any way to demean your experiment, and I am looking forward to reading about your results. That being said, if you doubt that there will be any actual visible change" how do you intend to identify any effects from the radiation. Will you also plant unirradiated seeds as a control?

And also, where did you get the americium? I have seen references to Am being isolated from smoke detectors, but I have never personally attempted that.

Good luck with your experiment!;)
sauveurdumonde
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-2-2022 at 04:05

Quote: Originally posted by CharlieA  

how do you intend to identify any effects from the radiation. Will you also plant unirradiated seeds as a control?

And also, where did you get the americium?

Yes, I forgot to mention I'll be growing a control group with the same amount of seeds. I will check the effects by just looking at them, as well as comparing leaves under a microscope, and just by regular growth observations. I'll post any results I find

Yes, I got the Am-241 from smoke detectors. I'm using four, 0.9 µCi pins from the detector source. Here's what they look like

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg - 92kB

"There is a shadow of a nation behind you, the hope of a people... yet it may not matter. The Divide still stands against us."
CharlieA
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-2-2022 at 14:50

Quote: Originally posted by sauveurdumonde  
Quote: Originally posted by CharlieA  

how do you intend to identify any effects from the radiation. Will you also plant unirradiated seeds as a control?

And also, where did you get the americium?

Yes, I forgot to mention I'll be growing a control group with the same amount of seeds. I will check the effects by just looking at them, as well as comparing leaves under a microscope, and just by regular growth observations. I'll post any results I find

Yes, I got the Am-241 from smoke detectors. I'm using four, 0.9 µCi pins from the detector source. Here's what they look like

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking forward to reading your observations.
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 19-2-2022 at 00:38

I'm afraid you will need something a bit more radioactive, 0.1 kGy would be 100 Sievert.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3758825/#:~:tex...

sauveurdumonde
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-2-2022 at 04:21

Quote: Originally posted by Tsjerk  
I'm afraid you will need something a bit more radioactive

Since I don't want to have to worry about storing extremely radioactive γ sources, I'll probably construct a "hard" x-ray generator. I have managed to generate very weak x-rays with regular vacuum tubes (and 15 kV) but I think I'll order one specifically designed for it.

sauveurdumonde
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-3-2022 at 03:40

My cat knocked over the control group. There will be a bit of delay as I make another.

Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 23-3-2022 at 05:58

Shouldn't you have the control group next to the irradiated group?
sauveurdumonde
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-3-2022 at 08:12

Quote: Originally posted by Tsjerk  
Shouldn't you have the control group next to the irradiated group?

They are right next to eachother. Only the control was knocked over, so I'll just replant in the same conditions and make an offset. Not ideal but the best I can do

E.G.: Experimental's day four is now control's day one

zinc finger
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-4-2022 at 23:56

Please keep your cat away from your radioactive samples. If it somehow incorporates any parts of them, the radiotoxicity could have very serious consequences :(

Go To Top