Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: legality of c. paspali?
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 28-3-2011 at 03:05

Given that some strains of ergot are potent plant pathogens that attack grain crops I would be wary of cultivating it.
Extracting the alkaloids that are controlled substances is also of dubious legality.
beergod
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-3-2011 at 21:12

he says this strain cant infect crops... also just because you buy it doesnt mean you are planning to ferment it and extract LSA - thats quite a stretch logically for law enforcement to bother with. Im sure its just fine buying it
Magic Muzzlet
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-3-2011 at 21:14

Give it a go and let us know how it went :P

You might be amazed at what law enforcement can be bothered with.
beergod
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-3-2011 at 21:22

cmon like they are gona set up a reverse sting hinging on on the possibility of using the fungus to produce compounds which will be converted into precursor? While people on there are buying kilos of bark that converts directly into the illegal DMT. I don't have an aseptic setup for working with agar dishes or I would buy it, pretty pricey tho.
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 29-3-2011 at 03:23

It is expensive and ultimately a bit of an exercise in futility if you are not going to make LSA.
If you want to do practical mycology why not cultivate edible fungi like oyster mushrooms which are expensive and yummy or psilocybes which are easy and hallucinogenic?
madscientist
National Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 29-3-2011 at 03:56

They do "reverse stings" all the time. They've even attempted it here. Search for "The Chemical Closet."

And yes, if they find you cultivating this, you are definitely going to prison (at least in the US). Sure, you could try to fight it in court, and convince a jury that's been hammered with Drug War propaganda all their lives that you were just growing it for fun and had no idea it was churning out a precursor to the most (in)famous psychedelic drug on the planet. But that's about as likely to work as claiming you didn't know all those pot plants in your basement were illegal (I just thought they looked nice!). Any sane lawyer would urge you to take a plea deal, and accept 10 years rather than risk 20.

I weep at the sight of flaming acetic anhydride.
Ephoton
Hazard to Others

Mood: trying to figure out why I need a dark room retreat when I live in a forest of wattle.

[*] posted on 29-3-2011 at 03:59

I can not find this post on the shroomery :(

can you let me know were it is you realy have me curious now.

e3500 console login: root
bash-2.05#

piracetam
Hazard to Self

Mood: copacetic

[*] posted on 1-4-2011 at 19:57

Quote: Originally posted by madscientist  

And yes, if they find you cultivating this, you are definitely going to prison (at least in the US)..

source?

http://www.erowid.org/plants/ergot/ergot_law.shtml

[Edited on 2-4-2011 by piracetam]
beergod
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-4-2011 at 09:47

That link says:

Quote:

Claviceps purpurea is unscheduled in the U.S., but it is also listed as a "poison" according to U.S.C. Title 21 Chapter 7. This designation as a poison means that products made from ergot must either be labelled "for external use only"; or labelled as a "poison" and records kept about who it is sold to. The fungus itself is legal to cultivate and possess.

One of its constituent chemicals, ergotamine tartrate, is a watched chemical because of its use in the manufacture of LSD. Because of this, the cultivation or possession of large quantities of Claviceps purpurea might be considered suspicious.

[Edited on 3-4-2011 by beergod]
overunity33
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-4-2011 at 17:37

Chiming in to say that I received my paspali culture yesterday... I wasn't really worried about it being a problem but after talking to the seller I realised hes a little too educated to be some kind of semi legal sting operation.
piracetam
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 3-4-2011 at 18:22

:D

a bit of paranoia is healthy, but it's not very likely that narcs will kick in your door over a paspali plate. the fungus itself doesn't produce alkaloids on an agar plate, only as secondary metabolites in liquid culture

and LSA is C-III

[Edited on 4-4-2011 by piracetam]
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 4-4-2011 at 08:43

Quote: Originally posted by overunity33  
...after talking to the seller I realised hes a little too educated to be some kind of semi legal sting operation.

Sounds like a real fun-guy!

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-6-2011 at 16:53

Quote: Originally posted by mr.crow  
All this talk about LSD made me look up the synthesis

"A totally pure salt, when dry and when shaken in the dark, will emit small flashes of white light." HOLY CRAP, how many people get to experience something like that.

What is the purpose of the phosphoryl chloride? I thought it couldn't form acid chlorides. Or does it create the amide in a different way?

the phosphoryl or thionyl chloride is for dehydrating the lysergic acid monohydrate so it can react with the diethylamine. the synthesis of lysergic acid from the amide produces the monohydrate crystal using KOH, alcohol, and ammonia to cleave the amide and leave the acid. to obtain the anhydrous form the synthesis is carried out with anhydrous hydrazine which is dangerous so most people prefer the aqueous method. neither method is safe. hydrazine is notoriously explosive and the phosphoryl chloride is no walk in the park either. besides, you would need to have your end product run through spectral analysis and who are you gonna just walk up to and say please test my lsd!

piracetam
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 11-6-2011 at 19:39

I run nLC-MS/MS like you run your computer.
Use 18-crown-6 as a complexation reagent to differentiate between the epimers;
they're easily distinguishable on a chromatogram.

[Edited on 12-6-2011 by piracetam]
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-6-2011 at 07:43

ok ok but does the common jerk off doing chemistry in a small corner sectioned out at home usually have that capability?

piracetam
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 12-6-2011 at 08:35

if that common jerk off pursued a path in chemistry academically, then yeah...more than likely.
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-6-2011 at 08:45

agreed. however that does not apply to most people here. if we all had that benefit we would also be able to source the precursors with less difficulty. me personally i would love to be able to take college chemistry courses, but i have to sit home and play mister mom while the wifey finishes nursing school. then there are the children to care for. chemistry is a wonderful outlet for me but an academic selection? perhaps when the kids graduate and leave home...i will be old and gray before i can even think about it.

anyway, on topic, ergot fungus is dangerous to the user and to crops. the legal implications are more than enough to keep me away from thinking about it.

piracetam
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 12-6-2011 at 12:13

ergot is primarily dangerous if consumed, and the nonsporulating variety (producers) are no threat to plants. the legal issue is another matter, and an ambiguous one at that. keep the wheaton bottles away from the petri dishes, and it pretty much looks innocuous.
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-6-2011 at 14:51

being of ambiguous legality means it will likely come down to who can afford the better lawyers...and that ain't me brother! unless of course it is a jury issue. unfortunately, in my jurisdiction, the jury folk are more educated by the loud southern preacher than common sense and it would be decided by: *deep southern accent* the evils o' drinkin' 'n' drugs 'n' dancin' 'n' immoral sexshality ect. ect. to illustrate, i even live in a dry county. no booze whatsoever. ahh the bible belt is a wonderful place no?

piracetam
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 12-6-2011 at 16:18

lol

I hear that.
not dry here, but liquor stores are closed on sundays, and the grocery store won't sell beer before noon:30. bible thumpers are the worst, most hypocritical phux
*preaches to the choir*

[Edited on 13-6-2011 by piracetam]
jon
Hazard to Others

Mood: paranoid distrustful apprehensive

[*] posted on 9-7-2011 at 11:59

my old man was in chem lab back in the 60's when the fibbies confiscated all the lysergic acid.
think that was '66.
his chem teacher said that pocl3 was the best way to make lsd.
i've always wondered about that too.
why pocl3?
because forming acid chlorides of lysergic acid tend to lead to decomp.
the thing is pybop is really good because of the chirallity of the end product 90% d-epimer.
don't even need to run it through a column.
thing is, some journals say to obtain dry lysergic acid, really harsh conditions and, high vacum are required.
but, from what i've learned, it really is'nt so.
1-2 mm vacum at 80C for about a day gets the job done.
so, pybop might be a good way.
keeping those strictly anhydrous conditions would be a pain in the ass.
probably why most folks just stick to the pocl3, still the favorite method of lsd production.

[Edited on 9-7-2011 by jon]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top