Printable Version  
Author: Subject: this is what?
food
Hazard to Self

Mood: mithering

[*] posted on 22-3-2011 at 16:33
this is what?

Hello.
It's tiem. To id some equipment. Hopefully.

The snaps could be better. No one that I've asked can identify it. Perhaps someone here recognizes this piece[s]? Thanks.

unknown_1.jpg - 8kB unknown_0.jpg - 8kB
bwpatton1
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-3-2011 at 16:38

Mmmm.... Maybe some type of large reaction vessel with a large Graham condenser mounted on top? Oh my bad, mounted nearby. At quick glance it looked like it was on top of the vessel

[Edited on 23-3-2011 by bwpatton1]
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 22-3-2011 at 16:41

It's really hard to tell, both pictures of the glass are like of them being tucked away from far away then cropped out?

I'm pretty ignorant to glass-ware but yea it looks like a big reaction flask with a heating thing around it and a big reflux condenser. Those steal valves/ports are some industrial shite.
food
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 22-3-2011 at 16:44

Quote: Originally posted by bwpatton1  
Mmmm.... Maybe some type of large reaction vessel with a large Graham condenser mounted on top? Oh my bad, mounted nearby. At quick glance it looked like it was on top of the vessel

[Edited on 23-3-2011 by bwpatton1]

may be in a state of disassembly though

I've not seen it first hand. There would be a bit of a drive involved. Trying to decide if it's worth it. The current owner is ignorant as to it's original use.
ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

Mood: High Spin

[*] posted on 22-3-2011 at 17:24

I have a feeling the top thing is a reflux condenser.

hey, if you are reading this, I can't U2U, but you are always welcome to send me an email!

crazyboy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Marginally insane

[*] posted on 22-3-2011 at 18:28

Definitely a reaction flask and condenser. All the metal fittings make me think high temperatures and or high pressures.

[Edited on 23-3-2011 by crazyboy]

bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 22-3-2011 at 19:19

Pilot plant glassware? Or small scale manufacturing.
food
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 22-3-2011 at 19:54

thanks for the input. If I go and look at this, and at the moment I'm inclined to think that I will, I will at least get some better pictures. Peach probably already has one, but the rest of youse may be curious to have a gander. I doubt that it's something that I could use at home though.

Chordate
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-3-2011 at 23:27

That appears to be an unjacketed two piece vacuum reactor with a pilot plant head and an unjacketed condenser coil, possibly a jacketed condenser coil.

You can see a lot of glass of this type in the aceglass reactor catalogue, found here: http://www.aceglass.com/html/3dissues/Reactors/index.html

Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 23-3-2011 at 23:57

its QVF gear (obvious from the flange style and colour), if you dismantle it be prepared for some financial shocks as to reassemble it you will need new flange liners and teflon seal rings which are expensive, if you can avoid dismantling it do so. if you need any further qvf glass parts your looking at thousands for seemingly simple pieces, however its the industry for pilot plant gear.
When dismantling the flanges undo the bolts slowing at little at a timer, the flange inserts and flanges will be stuck fast to the glass however assume they are not as they can easily come loose and those cast flanges weigh a lot and one sliding down your condenser will cause some trouble. to loosen them for removal tap lightly around the edges with a rubber mallet until its loosened. likely the flange with the flange liner will come away from the glass, you now must remove the flange liner from the flange if you want to remove the flange from the glass, this is awkward as it remains loose around the glass, a screw driver and rubber mallet and lots of fabric will see you there. Once separated its unlikely you can remove the liner without cracking it so don't be precious, it's intended to be a consumable, just break it away.

[Edited on 24-3-2011 by Panache]

peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 26-3-2011 at 06:14

Make sure you give it a good wash, it's probably lined with amphetamine or meth. ;)

food
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 28-3-2011 at 08:36

Hi. Looked at this over the weekend. It's labelled QVF as Panache said. Once I saw it first hand I realized that I wouldn't be taking it home, and from what's written above, that's a good thing. Relatively large pieces. Also, the price was rising from what I'd seen on the ad. Anyway. These pieces were scavenged from the local university; the guy had been doing some work over there and retrieved them from the dumpster. This university had an outlet at one time where they offloaded surplus stuff; everything from furniture to glass syringes to pc's. As you can imagine it was a real Aladdin's cave. Local gear fetishists and budget tinkerers still get a far away look in their eye when remembering the 'Serf' outlet.

<edit>that's a flashlight on top of the vessel for scale</edit>

IMG_9595.jpg - 121kB IMG_9599.jpg - 121kB IMG_9593.jpg - 135kB IMG_9587.jpg - 163kB

[Edited on 28-3-2011 by food]

Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 28-3-2011 at 15:56

i have u2u'ed you on this in case you don't check it

food
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 28-3-2011 at 16:31

Quote: Originally posted by Panache  
i have u2u'ed you on this in case you don't check it

will read; thanks everyone btw for the input

Go To Top