Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: DCM shortages
Triflic Acid
Hazard to Others

Mood: Slowly Oxidizing into Oblivion

[*] posted on 13-4-2022 at 14:00
DCM shortages

Has anyone here heard about a dcm supply chain shortage for next year? I've been hearing rumours, but nothing conclusive. My current understanding is that natural gas from Ukraine was the main feedstock, and that's dwindling. Same thing with liquid helium for the nmrs at work.

There wasn't a fire, we just had an uncontrolled rapid oxidation event at the power plant.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-4-2022 at 15:24

No problem getting DCm so far, but liquid helium is getting harder to find, and will only get worse I think.

But we have had problems getting many random chemicals, but often another source will have it. But it keeps happening, from hexane to ethyl acetate to THF, different each month. But we have been lucky enough to get everything eventually. We couldn't get cloves for almost a year when covid started. Amazingly enough, Enamine (in the ukraine) has reopened at least for a short time...
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-4-2022 at 20:45

I dont know where you are but a couple of years ago (it was then already hard to get from chemical suppliers at that time) I got a five liters can from a boating / windsufring company on eBay that also sold all kind of fibers, resins, platicizers etc. They even sold 10l drums !
If you want to make stocks maybe you could look for similar businesses in your area or contact them through eBay. I made great contacts, even people I would now call friends like this. Leonid in Ukraine certainly isnt shipping chemicals at the moment.

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
PirateDocBrown
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-4-2022 at 08:40

Since I use very small quantities, the gallon or so I had has lasted quite a while. I have been substituting chloroform (which I can make) wherever practical.

Phlogiston manufacturer/supplier.

For all your phlogiston needs.
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-4-2022 at 22:07

I've bought this 25 L package more than 1 year ago at a price 55 EUR, few months ago I saw the price was almost 100 EUR and now more than 150 EUR and it is even out of stock (sold out)
https://sklep-chemland.pl/en/dichlorometan-chlorek-metylenu-...

Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 24-4-2022 at 03:46

guys- this might become a very long term problem

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/files.php?pid=672164&...
check 541

however, im hearing that MEK has very low solubility in water if Na2CO3 is added to the solution- otherwise ethyl acetate should not be hard to produce in workable yields, ether is also well doable, despite having about 6g/100mL solubility

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
alive&kickin
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-6-2022 at 17:32

Not sure where you're at, but if the U.S.A. like me, this is a Canadian company that ships here:
https://plasticworld.ca/product/methylene-chloride-dichlorom...
A bit expensive, but it's the only place I found since the government started making companies take it out of their products.
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-6-2022 at 22:13

40 € for 5L is the current DCM price. I must have four litres left, and given that I operate mainly mini or micro scale, that can last me a decade or more, I suppose.

Helium is not produced in Ukraine, as far as I know. The main resources are located in the south of the US. In any case, as you may now, helium is too light to be trapped by Earth’s gravity, so the sole source of it are pockets of gas generated by alpha radioactive decay and trapped into deep caves.
Deathunter88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-6-2022 at 10:33

Quote: Originally posted by alive&kickin  
Not sure where you're at, but if the U.S.A. like me, this is a Canadian company that ships here:
https://plasticworld.ca/product/methylene-chloride-dichlorom...
A bit expensive, but it's the only place I found since the government started making companies take it out of their products.

AFAIK it's only for paint strippers destined for the consumer market. Acrylic glues are not affected, so Weld-on #3 is still a good source in the US.
alive&kickin
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-7-2022 at 12:00

Deathunter88, looking at the MSDS for Weld-on #3, it also contains 5% to 15% trichloroethylene and 1% to 2% methyl methacrylate, and other chemicals that don't have to be listed. Only 75% to 90% dcm.
Deathunter88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-7-2022 at 09:27

Quote: Originally posted by alive&kickin  
Deathunter88, looking at the MSDS for Weld-on #3, it also contains 5% to 15% trichloroethylene and 1% to 2% methyl methacrylate, and other chemicals that don't have to be listed. Only 75% to 90% dcm.

Yes, however both have much higher boiling points than DCM, so a simple distillation will remove them. I think its always a good idea to distill commercial solvents anyways for peace of mind.

Go To Top