Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Microscale spinning band distillation up for sale
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-5-2022 at 21:33
Microscale spinning band distillation up for sale

Just ran into a microscale spinning band distillation apparatus for sale on Ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/195024798644?hash=item2d686243b4:g:...

That's a pretty decent opening price if anybody is interested.

I'm not the seller.

Beware: this thing is tiny and very slow to use.
Check out the specs from the manufacturer before you bid.

Edit: there probably won't be much competition on this auction as it is listed as a "Di stilling column"

If memory serves, it has like 12 theoretical plates, but is maddeningly slow to use.

This one is missing the distilling and collection flasks, but those are regular 14/10 equipment and not hard to find. Or particularly expensive.

It also has a 14/10 condenser included, which is not original equipment or needed. (the apparatus works with an air condenser, see diagram)

Anyway, this is a rather specialized and tiny piece of equipment and not for everybody (Frankly, its hardly for anybody), but if it's something you want or need here's a chance to get one minus the collection and boiling flasks at probably a lot less than whatever a new one cost these days.

[Edited on 6-5-2022 by SWIM]

Edit: It also has an second air condenser with no fitting at the top end which is also not part of the apparatus included.

These two extra condensers were probably thrown in with the original apparatus by accident. I believe they couldn't be used with the original thermometer but maybe with a thermocouple.

Edit again: oh yeah, if you check for prices online check with Ace Glass. Places like Neobits often mis-label the band or column casing as the complete apparatus.

Ace is currently asking 690 USD for this thing new (with the collection and boiling flasks).

Edit yet again: this reads like the most schizophrenic post ever. I'm telling all about this neat thing while at the same time I'm warning you against buying it. I'm practically telling you to run for the hills and hold onto your balls.
Well, that is about the size of it. sorry.

Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-5-2022 at 22:32

Christ, this is way overpriced. For little over that price I can buy a brand new microscale kit with condenser, still head, several flasks and all the caboodle.
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-5-2022 at 22:39

Quote: Originally posted by Keras  
Christ, this is way overpriced. For little over that price I can buy a brand new microscale kit with condenser, still head, several flasks and all the caboodle.

Yeah right, where?

Somebody selling Ace glass products at less than 1/3rd of Ace prices?

I think you're looking at some Mis-labeled stuff on some site like Neobits.

Or do you not know a spinning band column from a regular 14/10 kit?

Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-5-2022 at 01:56

Quote: Originally posted by SWIM  

Or do you not know a spinning band column from a regular 14/10 kit?

That’s right, the kit I mentioned has no spinning band. I doubled checked. My bad.

Go To Top