Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Safely conducting an Alkali Fusion
Triflic Acid
Hazard to Others

Mood: Slowly Oxidizing into Oblivion

[*] posted on 9-6-2022 at 23:18
Safely conducting an Alkali Fusion

As part of my vanillin synthesis, I plan to do alkali fusion of my p-TsOH to get p-cresol. Was wondering about how to safely do this. I have melted sodium hydroxide before, but that was just to dissolve some glass to make sodium silicate. I'm also concerned about temperate control to prevent decomposition. Additionally, all of my p-TsOH is in the form of the monohydrate. I'm concerned that the release of water vapor could cause the molten hydroxide to bubble, which would be very bad to put it lightly. Any advice on how to stay alive and get a good yield is appreciated :P

There wasn't a fire, we just had an uncontrolled rapid oxidation event at the power plant.
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 10-6-2022 at 00:28

Do you have toluene? You can dehydrated the TsOH by azeotropic distillation.
Triflic Acid
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-6-2022 at 09:35

I do, that's how I made the TsOH. I also have a dean stark trap, so that shouldn't be too hard. But will I need to dehydrate the TsOH in order for this to work?

There wasn't a fire, we just had an uncontrolled rapid oxidation event at the power plant.
UC235
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-6-2022 at 19:44

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=11...

You might be better off preparing sodium tosylate. The naphtholsulfonic acid sodium salts can be recrystallized from 10% aqueous NaCl. No need to neutralize. They will steal the sodium ions they need and crystallize out. Probably you can just dissolve the pTsOH in as little water as possible and add brine then filter off the product.

Fusion is easier to do with 60:40 w:w KOH:NaOH which is a low melting eutectic. The molten hydroxide will spit somewhat. Heavy gloves/jacket/face cover strongly recommended. Also IIRC, a LOT of SO2 is released when you dissolve and neutralize the product.

Further reading: https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=11...

[Edited on 11-6-2022 by UC235]
Triflic Acid
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-6-2022 at 19:56

I'll do the neutralization, that's a stupidly simple idea that I'm disappointed I didn't think of doing. I'll probably do this tomorrow then, followed by the alkali fusion. Will report as to how that goes.

Go To Top