Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: What reagents would you bring during an apocalyptic scenario?
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-8-2022 at 10:02

Quote: Originally posted by SuperOxide  

I wonder what NaCN would be useful for? I have like a kg of it, wondering if I should put some in my bug-out bag (kidding).

Anyone played Fallout ?
I just imagined looting the grinning skeletons of a family around a campfire only to find a note explaining their suicide because of radiation poisoning.
In that world, I expect Karlos would be making good use of brahmin dung fumes :cool:

That makes me think that I'd go for lysergic acid diethylamide. It's the only reagent I consider you are 100% certain to get a reaction with :D
Can I get a drum too ?!

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-8-2022 at 20:37

Quote: Originally posted by Herr Haber  
When I offered to make KI individual doses I discovered people would actually be more interested in NaCN in case of apocalypse.
Weird.

That's fukt up. Says a lot about people was my first thought. 2nd thought was
how extensive and diverse was your research on the matter?
SuperOxide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-8-2022 at 12:27

Quote: Originally posted by Herr Haber  
When I offered to make KI individual doses I discovered people would actually be more interested in NaCN in case of apocalypse.
Weird.

That's interesting.. I'm assuming they meant they wanted it for suicide, correct? I don't think cyanide poisoning is a very pleasant way to go (You can find videos of people taking it in court after a guilty verdict). Something like inert gas asphyxiation would be more ideal (though not as convenient).

Or maybe they just felt like doing some electroplating or gold extraction during the apocalypse?... lol
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-9-2022 at 19:41

Quote: Originally posted by draculic acid69  

That's fukt up. Says a lot about people was my first thought. 2nd thought was
how extensive and diverse was your research on the matter?

Yes, well... research is a very generous word ;)
It's rather the recollection of having similar conversations over the years about the use of KI (how, when). I do have a lot of misanthropes among my friends and many of them have extensive knowledge of caves, quarries, underground shelters etc.
In case of a nuclear power plant accident they will happily take the iodine, party underground for a couple of weeks and then take a peek topside.
But I also heard many simply say they dont like the world as it is and would like it even less if the nukes fell so they'd rather witness the blast in all its glory than see people turn on each other etc. And have NaCN as a backup if the blast and neutron flash arent enough...
Most recent conversation was with a neighbour who is a bit chemophobe. When I tell her what I do some weekends she goes "lalalala I'm not listening". She'd trust me more with a suicide pill than a refill of her hand sanitizer bottle. That I made, and she used ! She trusts me with her cat though...

Nope, dont always understand people...
I'm more in the process of upgrading my bug out bag. I'd like to see a nuclear winter with my own eyes so that means surviving till then.

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top