Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Drying, Handling, Purification, Storage and Long Term Stability of Choline Chloride
VeritasC&E
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-8-2022 at 07:57
Drying, Handling, Purification, Storage and Long Term Stability of Choline Chloride

I've read some of you have already used Choline Chloride based DES / Ionic Liquids; and I suspect some have already experienced some frustration over its hygroscopic properties.
Since in any case most of you have more experience than me with chemistry I'd love to get your input on the topics mentioned in the title:

How do I dry Choline Chloride with most commonly available / simple / cheapest means?
It is cheap to buy but only in large quantities of fairly impure product: Should I dry 25Kg at once or can I leave the bulk wet and only dry "smaller" quantities before use? (I live in a humid region so this will probably be hell to me)
Is it nonsense to think about using MgSO4 for drying?

I was thinking about purifying it via a single recrystalization in absolute ethanol: does this sound right? Does anyone have experience with that (e.g. could share solubility curve shape and maybe data at different temperatures)?

I'll of course store it in an airtight container, but other than that I don't know what is useful for its storage. Inert gas? Some common dessicant to get rid of traces left of water?

Since I plan to buy a cheap 25Kg bag: Will I see any degradation after a decade? What drives degradation? O2 in air? UVs? Water content? Bacteria? Heat? How to keep it stable over many years (preferably at room temperature)?

Go To Top