Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Anyone experiment with glow-in-the-dark paint?
Neal
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-9-2022 at 16:38
Anyone experiment with glow-in-the-dark paint?

Has there already been threads on that?

Paint that has chemicals that can fluoresce or phosphoresce. Such as zinc sulfide.

Can you buy paint like that at retail stores, or only bought on-line?

Or, do you have to put the phosphor chemical in the paint, separately?

Zinc sulfide for example will phosphoresce upon UV light.

There is also cadmium sulfide but that is toxic.
paulll
Hazard to Self

Mood: It's fine. Really.

[*] posted on 21-9-2022 at 20:35

NileRed's video on the subject, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OfI-XpYAqM0 might be of interest to you if you haven't come across it.
Lionel Spanner
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-9-2022 at 02:19

You can buy doped zinc sulphide, which has different colours depending on what it's doped with - copper turns it green, manganese turns it red, silver turns it blue. Strontium aluminate is widely used as a glow-in-the-dark pigment as well, I believe it gives a brighter glow.

An easy way to make doped zinc sulphide would be to dissolve zinc nitrate and the nitrate of the doping element in water, then precipitating them both out together with an inorganic sulphide salt, or hydrogen sulphide.

Industrial chemist rediscovering the practical pleasures of pure chemistry.
Sometimes I make videos - https://www.youtube.com/@yorkshirechemist
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-9-2022 at 08:43

I usually despise graffiti, especially when I encounter them underground in quarries or bunkers but had to make some friends within that community because I can think of quite a few bright ideas with glow in the dark paint underground where I spend a lot of time. It was easier to ask the experts.

To summarize:
1) you cannot escape first applying a white base layer.
2) You can buy the paint, try several because their qualities widely differ. It's expensive.
3) You can make your own clear lacquer and add pigments to it. This works really well since you decide how much you put in. The more you add pigments, the more light.
4) Not all pigments are made equal !!! I have seen "pure pigment" adultered with something, probably fumed silica as it just takes space and doesnt hinder the light much. The absolute best pigments I've seen, and also the cheapest if you compare to some eBay / Amazon prices are the ones Onyxmet.com sells.

And one last tip, bring a UV lamp. You'll want to take pictures of whatever art you are going to make I assume :)
UV allows you to charge the pigments much faster which in turn helps with an "even" lighting from the pigments if your masterpiece is big.

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
Neal
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-9-2022 at 16:53

So basically buy doped zinc sulfide or doped strontium aluminate and mix it with liquid paint?

Quote: Originally posted by paulll  
NileRed's video on the subject, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OfI-XpYAqM0 might be of interest to you if you haven't come across it.

Question, how does test strips identify gases (like hydrogen sulfide)? At 18:50.

Does the test strip just do a color change when it's hit with H2S?
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-9-2022 at 04:46

Does this help?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E73GAOCfKeY
Neal
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-9-2022 at 06:28

So manganese, silver, and copper for red, blue, and green, when doped with ZnS, is that produce the same colors when doped with Strontium aluminate?

Any for purple?
Lionel Spanner
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-9-2022 at 16:55

You can create pretty much any colour by mixing red, green and blue in appropriate proportions - they are the primary colours of light. With that in mind, the easiest way to achieve purple is to mix red and blue.

Strontium aluminate has a very different electronic structure to zinc sulphide, so the same elements will have very different effects on the colour. Going by Onyxmet's website, doping with europium results in green luminescence, and doping with europium and dysprosium results in blue luminescence.

Industrial chemist rediscovering the practical pleasures of pure chemistry.
Sometimes I make videos - https://www.youtube.com/@yorkshirechemist
Neal
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-9-2022 at 19:19

Quote: Originally posted by Lionel Spanner  
You can create pretty much any colour by mixing red, green and blue in appropriate proportions - they are the primary colours of light. With that in mind, the easiest way to achieve purple is to mix red and blue.

Strontium aluminate has a very different electronic structure to zinc sulphide, so the same elements will have very different effects on the colour. Going by Onyxmet's website, doping with europium results in green luminescence, and doping with europium and dysprosium results in blue luminescence.

You know someone originally told me about this as radium-paint with doped ZnS, which is radiation paint that glows in the dark, but it was discontinued when they discovered how dangerous the radiation emitted was..

But then... why discontinue both.

Okay, so it's not gonna be the color of the paint, but the color of the doped metal. Which means, don't use red on red or blue on blue because the color shade could still be very off.

Which means, dope all that with white paint.

But now my question is, wouldn't you need very thin layer of paint? Or just dope it on the painted wall itself? If you did the 2nd, it wouldn't be very mixed out, so I wonder how effective mixing doped-phosphor on the white paint does, as maybe the paint could be too-thick for the light to glow on the inside. And on the inside, would require sunlight to go deep enough.

I would love to 1st hand experiment this. I would imagine you would need kilos and kilos of doped-phosphor to mix with the paint.

[Edited on 25-9-2022 by Neal]
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-9-2022 at 03:34

Why do I even bother ?

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
Neal
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-9-2022 at 14:35

Quote: Originally posted by Herr Haber  
I usually despise graffiti, especially when I encounter them underground in quarries or bunkers but had to make some friends within that community because I can think of quite a few bright ideas with glow in the dark paint underground where I spend a lot of time. It was easier to ask the experts.

To summarize:
1) you cannot escape first applying a white base layer.
2) You can buy the paint, try several because their qualities widely differ. It's expensive.
3) You can make your own clear lacquer and add pigments to it. This works really well since you decide how much you put in. The more you add pigments, the more light.
4) Not all pigments are made equal !!! I have seen "pure pigment" adultered with something, probably fumed silica as it just takes space and doesnt hinder the light much. The absolute best pigments I've seen, and also the cheapest if you compare to some eBay / Amazon prices are the ones Onyxmet.com sells.

And one last tip, bring a UV lamp. You'll want to take pictures of whatever art you are going to make I assume :)
UV allows you to charge the pigments much faster which in turn helps with an "even" lighting from the pigments if your masterpiece is big.

Ok, are there 2 main types of paint in the market? Water-based, and oil-based? Which 1 is best, or just go with the cheapest.
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-10-2022 at 09:31

I dont know what you are painting on and where it will be so I cannot really answer your question.
That's more a question for the guy working in the paint section of your hardware store but:

- You'll always want to first apply a white coat. If your surface is dark it will dim the light.
- You dont want to use paint that already has pigments. Go for a lacquer, a varnish I dont know how to call it. Something that is transparent. You can sometimes find data on how much pigments are in commercially available products and this can give you an idea on how much you need to get yourself. That's also very important if you plan to use different colors on your work. Your blue will never be as bright as your green if you use the same weight of pigments.
- Some people suggested that it would be better to use pigments to enhance a painting. For example, picture a musician playing on a stage under spotlights. You could use phosphorescent pigments in the circle of the spotlights. I've seen people paint stars with blue pigments on a black background. It works... but it's the worst combination. Kinda cool to sleep under though :)

In my case though (stone surfaces, underground with high humidity and people passing) I'd go for a paint that has good mechanical performance. Water based paints cant really be brushed of cleaned so they are out.
You can tell if your landlord is cheap by the paint he used in the bathrooms and kitchens.

What's your project anyway ? A form of art or something else ?

Neal
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-10-2022 at 15:55

Quote: Originally posted by Herr Haber  
Go for a lacquer, a varnish I dont know how to call it.

Is a lacquer a precursor to paint? Maybe that is what I should be getting, a precursor to paint.

Anybody worked in the paint industry, what is the materials that they buy to make paint, from?
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-10-2022 at 07:41

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lacquer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varnish

I dont know how you would call a paint without pigments. I'd call that a lacquer, a varnish, maybe a clear coat. That is what you are looking for. It should represent a high enough % in any paint section of hardware store so that you cannot miss it.
Then you pour your pigments in, make a suspension and grab a brush.

Go To Top