Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: Secret Santa and Card Exchange – has begun.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 25-9-2022 at 21:37
Secret Santa and Card Exchange – has begun.

Here is the sign up sheet for this year's SS. These are the details you need to know.
  • Process will be similar to previous years. So no big surprises. More explanation can be found on the sign-up form.
  • New participants welcome. It has been a lot of fun.
  • A new option for this year – A postcard exchange. Send a postcard (or anything else envelope sized) to three other members. This means all can participate cheaply if so desired. It also opens up more options for international interaction, which is always fun.
  • Cut off date for signing up will be 28 October. I will send you your recipient's details via U2U and email (if provided) before the end of October.

Post comments in this thread if needed. I for one am really looking forward to it – always a highlight of the year. It is always great to have an influx of newbies. So ask questions if you have any.

https://forms.gle/4PhmuG14DuQJvx2fA

[Edited on 1-11-2022 by j_sum1]
    j_sum1
    Administrator
    Thread Topped
    25-9-2022 at 21:37
    B(a)P
    International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 26-9-2022 at 01:38

I am in for both. Looking forward to it. Thanks so much for organising this again J!
    MadHatter
    International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 26-9-2022 at 05:42
    Secret Santa 2022

All signed up.

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
    arkoma
    Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 26-9-2022 at 10:44

Coolness. I know we should have at least one new participant, as Organikum sez he's in. It's a lot of fun Org, think this will be year five for me

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

arkoma
    Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 26-9-2022 at 10:49

J_sum, I'ma gonna put this here, so those that are hesitant can see the "cultural norms" (rules a little to much) of our little tradition.

2022 Science Madness Secret Santa and Postcard Exchange
    It is that time of year again. I know this is a highlight for so many. If you have not ever participated in SMSS, now is a great opportunity to join in the fun.

There is a new option for this year – a postcard exchange. If you sign up for this you will be given the mailing address of three other SM members and you can snail-mail them a postcard from your region or something similar envelope-sized. This means that it will be possible to be involved with minimal expense and no package-shipping costs.

Sign up cut-off will be Friday 28 October. I will allocate partners and send them out before the end of that weekend. This will give seven weeks to research, purchase, and ship to synchronise timetables with the fat man in the red suit. Late sign-ups have been possible in the past, but it is a lot easier to do this in one batch.

For guidance in what to get, consider the following:
    * Look closely at the person's wishlist. (And for that matter, put a bit of detail into your own wishlist.)
    * Do some online stalking to find out about the kinds of projects and interests your recipient is into.
    * In terms of expense - something about the value of a nice flask is roughly appropriate. Although there are ways of being generous even if you are strapped for cash.
    * Shipping can be a big part of the expense and you can save money by drop-shipping.
    * Sometimes the most valued gifts are local items sent to someone far away. What might be cheap to you could be really valuable to someone else.
    * Think about local foods, local mineral samples,or anything unique to your area. They are always interesting.
    * Some people really enjoy getting a mystery chemical to analyse.
    * You might already have a gift at no expense. Are there things in your lab that you have excess of?

A final note -- if your circumstanes change or you get caught out with bad shipping times or anything else that is likely to make your gift late (or non-existent), please let me and/or your recipient know. (a) there may be a workaround. (b) a little up-front disappointment is better than having participants feeling ripped off.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

j_sum1
    Administrator

[*] posted on 26-9-2022 at 17:17

Four signed up already. And I have had U2Us from a few members saying that they will be on board again. (Including one who said this is the highlight of Christmas for him, but not to tell his wife because she thinks he likes all the other stuff.)
    Hilarious.

Thanks for posting that, Arky.
    Phosphor-ing
    Hazard to Others

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 27-9-2022 at 02:24

I’m in. The anticipation is already killing me. ;)

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" -Ronald Reagan
    Admagistr
    Hazard to Others

Mood: The dreaming alchemist

[*] posted on 27-9-2022 at 06:40

I signed up for exchange of postcards, next time maybe even SS;-)!
    Texium
    Administrator

Member Is Online

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 27-9-2022 at 08:37

Signed up! I regretted skipping last year and missing out on the fun. But now I'm back in it, and I have lots of fun stuff to give away this year!

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
    They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
    j_sum1
    Administrator

[*] posted on 30-9-2022 at 01:52

Bump.

Just keeping this on the "today's posts" page.
    Participants are trickling in. Plenty of room for more.
    j_sum1
    Administrator

[*] posted on 6-10-2022 at 03:25

Entries still trickling in, but the numbers are not real high.
    I am sure there are some like me who have not signed on yet but intend to. (My wish list for Santa's lap is growing.)

I would hat for anyone to miss out.
    SnailsAttack
    Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-10-2022 at 09:46

I might be in. Will see if I can prepare some stuff fun enough to be worth sending :)
    B(a)P
    International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 12-10-2022 at 11:27

Quote: Originally posted by SnailsAttack  
    I might be in. Will see if I can prepare some stuff fun enough to be worth sending :)

I encourage you to participate SnailsAttack. It is a lot of fun and you don't need to be able to send exotic chemicals, equipment or glassware if these items are not accessible to you. SS is certainly not meant to be exclusive, you are limited only by your imagination/forum stalking skills. You could send interesting food items (as appropriate for the time in transit/local customs requirements), local mineral samples or just something interesting from your local area.
    I have not seen anyone post that they regretted participating, but many have posted they regretted not participating.
    violet sin
    International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 12-10-2022 at 18:27

I've just completed my entrant form. Love this part. Love this forum. Thanks for doing this again J
    Dr.Bob
    International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-10-2022 at 11:24

Just signed up, look forward to doing it again. This is a great way to celebrate.
    j_sum1
    Administrator

[*] posted on 17-10-2022 at 14:41

Bumping this again.
    The window will be closing soon and I would hate for anyone to miss out.
    arkoma
    Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 17-10-2022 at 22:09

I have some mussel shells and a piece of coal from Kentucky, sand from a mine under Paris, a piece of limestone from Lourdes, a bear postcard from Maine, a coffee mug from Riverside California and an Australian $1 Kookaburra off the top of my head. All of these things from around the world from various Secret Santa's are actually pretty prized possessions of mine, they don't get used up, and were economical for the senders. Sentimentals, I still get joy out of them.

My point is, don't sell yourself short about what you may or may not be able to do. Also, this is a daggum "nerd to nerd" gift exchange, and as the old saying goes, "it takes one to know one."

j_sum1
    Administrator

[*] posted on 18-10-2022 at 16:53

Quote: Originally posted by arkoma  

I have some mussel shells and a piece of coal from Kentucky, sand from a mine under Paris, a piece of limestone from Lourdes, a bear postcard from Maine, a coffee mug from Riverside California and an Australian $1 Kookaburra off the top of my head. All of these things from around the world from various Secret Santa's are actually pretty prized possessions of mine, they don't get used up, and were economical for the senders. Sentimentals, I still get joy out of them.

My point is, don't sell yourself short about what you may or may not be able to do. Also, this is a daggum "nerd to nerd" gift exchange, and as the old saying goes, "it takes one to know one."

Which is an excellent advertisement for going international in the SS exchange.
    SnailsAttack
    Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-10-2022 at 18:37

Quote: Originally posted by arkoma  

I understand completely.
    arkoma
    Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 19-10-2022 at 17:29

I opted out of international this year because of the reagents I have to share, but it might be a fiasco incountry as I've already tipped off my Post Mistress. Oops.

arkoma
    Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 22-10-2022 at 00:43

BUMP

Phosphor-ing
    Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-10-2022 at 05:31

Please get in touch with someone if you aren’t going to be able to get a gift/postcard out in time. I received nothing last year and it doesn’t feel good. Mine might have been lost in the mail or something else so I’m not mad or anything, but it did hurt.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" -Ronald Reagan
    j_sum1
    Administrator

[*] posted on 23-10-2022 at 06:05

You should have mentioned something to me.
    This has only happened a few times and it is not in the spirit of things.

In the past, when there has been genuine and unexpected difficulties, I have been able to organise at least something. There are such generous people around here and some have offered to contribute to others and not just the person they were allocated.
    Phosphor-ing
    Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-10-2022 at 05:25

Bump. To everyone sitting on the fence. This is a lot of fun. Can’t wait to figure out what to send my recipient. And then wait in eager anticipation like a kid on Christmas morning to receive my own gift.

P.S. I never wait till Christmas to open it. Sometimes I don’t even get back in the house.

j_sum1
    Administrator

[*] posted on 26-10-2022 at 23:19

Yay!
    I finally got around to signing myself up for this. (I can excuse myself for being a bit tardy.)

Here are some stats you might find interesting…
    I am really happy that so many are interested in the postcard exchange. Just quietly, I think that might be the highlight this year.

sm1.png - 15kB
    sm2.png - 20kB
    sm3.png - 32kB
     Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top