Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Does triiodoethanol exist?
gemar14
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-9-2022 at 15:48
Does triiodoethanol exist?

Hello, everyone! I've recently decided to try out some trihaloethanol esterifications just to see how quickly these esters cleave after the fact. I'm aware that 2,2,2-trifluoro, trichloro and even tribromoethanol are all known and commercially available. However, not only have I not seen any commercial sources of the triiodo variant, but I have also not found it mentioned in any papers anyway. Does it simply not exist at room temp?
Boffis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-9-2022 at 01:12

Hi gemar14,

I couldn't find anything on 2,2,2-triiodethanol but it might be possible to prepare it from iodoform and formaldehyde though the three iodine atoms on one carbon are going to make it pretty crowded but the is a 1,1,1-triiodoethane.

The is a 1,2,2-triiodoethanol though which surprised me but on a quick search I couldn't out much about it.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 29-9-2022 at 14:58

Usually simpler compounds like that have all been synthesized centuries ago. It's easy to think that perhaps there is some barrier to their preparation if you can't find anything. After all, generally if someone made 1,1,1-tribromoethanol for the first time their next inclination would be to try to repeat the process to make the triiodo material. Still, sometimes things like this just fall through the cracks. If think that if there was some reason why it couldn't be synthesized (randomly underwent dehydration or the like) you'd be more likely to find information on it. But - like others here, I couldn't find anything on it on Reaxys or just a general search of the ACS journals. So, perhaps it has just never been a synthesis target.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
gemar14
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-9-2022 at 21:33

Yeah, that seems to be the choices I'm struggling with as well. Is it not reported just because it's not possible to make or because no one has bothered to make it? I usually lean away from the "no one has bothered" explanation, but who knows in this case
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 30-9-2022 at 21:44

Sounds like the prelude to one of those stories where an anatuer does it because he didn't know it couldn't be done.

Seriously though, it would be nice to have some clearer guidance.
Boffis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-10-2022 at 01:15

Given that ethanol undergoes the iodoform reaction I suspect you would have great difficulty in preventing the molecule from falling apart :).

I still think the best route to try would be the reaction of formaldehyde with iodoform in ethanol. The iodoform may just act as an oxidizing agent giving formic acid and diodomethane.
Bedlasky
International Hazard

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 1-10-2022 at 07:10

Quote: Originally posted by Boffis  
Given that ethanol undergoes the iodoform reaction I suspect you would have great difficulty in preventing the molecule from falling apart :).

It does the same with bromine/chlorine to form bromoform/chloroform. Still trichloro/bromoethanol exist.
gemar14
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-10-2022 at 18:01

What's even weirder is that apparently triiodoacetic acid exists both commercially and in the literature. Yet not a word about the alcohol
Boffis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-11-2022 at 03:35

Interestingly and coincidentally today I spotted some information on 1,1,1-tri-iodoethane or as he calls it "methyl-iodoform" in Arun Sethi's chemistry book where it is described as a pale yellow solid, sparingly soluble in alcohol and Mp 95 C. Unfortunately there is no reference
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 1-11-2022 at 19:02

Chloral is not further oxidized by chlorine, which is why it is so easy to make. Only when alkali is added does it decompose into chloroform and formate. So presumably triiodoacetaldehyde would behave similarly. But the problem is, the diiodoacetaldehyde might not be further oxidized due to the carbonyl withdrawing electrons from the hydrogen. This doesn't mean that triiodoethanol doesn't exist, but it would make it harder to produce than the trichloro or tribromo compound, since enol iodination is not available.

Possibly, the reaction of ethanol with iodine monochloride would give triiodoacetaldehyde, this later being reduced to triiodoethanol. The same trick works for arene iodinations.

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
gemar14
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-11-2022 at 11:39

Quote: Originally posted by clearly_not_atara  
Chloral is not further oxidized by chlorine, which is why it is so easy to make. Only when alkali is added does it decompose into chloroform and formate. So presumably triiodoacetaldehyde would behave similarly. But the problem is, the diiodoacetaldehyde might not be further oxidized due to the carbonyl withdrawing electrons from the hydrogen. This doesn't mean that triiodoethanol doesn't exist, but it would make it harder to produce than the trichloro or tribromo compound, since enol iodination is not available.

Possibly, the reaction of ethanol with iodine monochloride would give triiodoacetaldehyde, this later being reduced to triiodoethanol. The same trick works for arene iodinations.

What do you feel about triiodoacetic acid to acid chloride with SOCl2, then reduction to the alcohol with borohydride?

Go To Top