Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Successful Chloroform Synthesis
Oncorhynchus
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-9-2022 at 16:37
Successful Chloroform Synthesis

Although this forum is no stranger to the preparation of CHCl3 from acetone and bleach, I figured I'd share my recent success with a small-ish scale synthesis and contribute to the archives.

As it was the first experiment in my new abode, I figured I'd start with something simple. Using pool chlorinator (bottle said 7-12% NaClO, I assumed 7) and Klean Strip acetone straight from the can, I managed a higher than expected 79% yield of crude product that I will eventually purify through distillation.

Briefly, my procedure went as follows:

Added 800 mL of the pool chlorinator to a 1 L glass media bottle and chilled to approximately -13 C (it actually got fairly slushy). Once chilled, a stir bar was added and the bottle was placed in a salt/ice bath that remained between -2 and 2 C throughout the reaction. After a few minutes of magnetic stirring, 9 mL of cold acetone was added, the bottle was lightly capped, and the reaction was allowed to proceed for about 10 minutes. Once the temperature stabilized at around 1 C, the second 9 mL portion of acetone was added and the reaction was allowed to proceed until the green color had dissipated. After the temperature peaked at 16 C and began to drop, the reaction was removed from stirring and allowed to settle.

Once settled, the aqueous layer was transferred to a waste container and the remaining water and CHCl3 were transferred to a separatory funnel. The CHCl3 layer was drained directly into another separatory funnel and washed once with saturated NaHCO3 solution (could've used NaCl, but meh). The product was transferred to a preweighed bottle for storage and the crude yield was found to be 23.76 g (79% based on acetone). To slow decomposition, a few drops of >95% EtOH were added and the bottle was wrapped in aluminum foil.

Anyone have any thoughts on what I did well/poorly/etc based on the brief writeup?

[Edited on 27-9-2022 by Oncorhynchus]
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 26-9-2022 at 17:13

Seems like you did well here. You kept the temperature nice and low. And you separated your product quickly so as to not get degradation with NaOH present.

It is remarkable how accessible this particular reaction is. And always satisfying to accomplish.
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-9-2022 at 08:53

Well done! Your yield is very nice!
I would try to recover some extra small quantity of chloroform from the water phase, but maybe it wouldn't be worth it...
Maybe by distilling small amount of water+chloroform mixture from the water phase.
Maybe by salting out the water phase.
Solubility of chloroform in pure water is: 10.62 g/L (0 °C) 8.09 g/L (20 °C).
But you had some salts present in water phase so you certainly had much less of chloroform in water phase than the solubility in pure water.

Mateo_swe
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-9-2022 at 02:40

Can this simple preparation be done with Calcium hypochlorite and acetone also?
I have a box of solid Calcium hypochlorite for use in pools.
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 30-9-2022 at 03:35

Quote: Originally posted by Mateo_swe  
Can this simple preparation be done with Calcium hypochlorite and acetone also?
I have a box of solid Calcium hypochlorite for use in pools.

Yes. But separation is more difficult. IIRC, it is possible to get even higher yield with Ca(OCl)2. But I remember that I was not particularly successful last time I tried and I went back to supermarket bleach.
Mateo_swe
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-10-2022 at 02:56

Maybe mix calcium hypochlorite and water, chill, add acetone and when reaction seem complete as temp goes down, then distill out the chloroform from the reaction mixture.
Could this work and is there any danger to try this idea?
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-10-2022 at 03:38

Mateo_swe - interesting idea. Ca hypochlorite is quite cheap and widely available. Easier to transport as it is solid while Na hypochlorite is only as a solution in water. Some sellers in my country do not send solution of Na hypochlorite by curriers (you have to visit them personally) but send solid Ca hypochlorite without any problem. Maybe Ca hypochlorite is even more stable than Na hypochlorite which must be stored in cold (so older solutions have lower concentrations).
I would neutralize the final mixture before distillation as the Ca hypochlorite contains excess of hydroxide - with acetic acid? citric acid? or cheap HCl under control of indicator or pH meter? Also insoluble calcium salts tend to fall to the bottom so maybe magnetically stirring the content in a distillation flask?

[Edited on 13-10-2022 by Fery]

Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-10-2022 at 04:22

Quote: Originally posted by Fery  
Mateo_swe - interesting idea. Ca hypochlorite is quite cheap and widely available.

I've tried that. This is a mess. Calcium acetate is little to not soluble in water, adsorbs about all the chloroform. The work-up is impossible to carry out.

Best way if you want to increase the yield is to make your own sodium hypochlorite, by bubbling Cl₂ into a NaOH solution. But then again, be careful because the haloform reaction is highly exothermic, and acetone should be dripped into the resulting concentrated NaClO solution.
Mateo_swe
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-10-2022 at 01:57

Maybe its better to use Sodium hypochlorite (bleach in the stores) then.
Sad that Ca hypochlorite cant be used easily as its so avaliable in the form of pool chlorinating powder.

I guess one could make the Sodium hypochlorite as Keras suggestion.
If larger amounts of chloroform is needed this might be the best economical option.
A simple sodium chloride solution with 2 electrodes from a power supply makes chlorine gas at one of the electrodes if i remember correctly.
But maybe there is better ways of generating chlorine gas.

[Edited on 2022-10-14 by Mateo_swe]
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 14-10-2022 at 02:37

Yes. Yhrre are better ways of making chlorine. Electrolysis of anything is a slow process. Unless you operate at ridiculous currents.
Ca(OCl)2 and HCl make an acceptable cjlorine generator. Of course you need an addition funnel to control the rate of production. Ans a fumd hood. And all other appropriate safety measures for working with chlorine. (Breathing Cl2 is not fun.)
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 14-10-2022 at 02:42

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=65712
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-10-2022 at 02:50

Quote: Originally posted by Keras  
Quote: Originally posted by Fery  
Mateo_swe - interesting idea. Ca hypochlorite is quite cheap and widely available.

I've tried that. This is a mess. Calcium acetate is little to not soluble in water, adsorbs about all the chloroform. The work-up is impossible to carry out.

The solubility of calcium acetate is nearly twice that of the hypochlorite.

The reaction using "bleaching powder" is well established.
eg
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ie50042a005
https://qsstudy.com/laboratory-preparation-chloroform/
I think you probably need to distil the product as it's formed.
Whether that's easier for you than making chlorine is another matter.
Mateo_swe
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-10-2022 at 05:53

See this reference, it contains relevant info in note1 & 2.

Organic Syntheses, Coll. Vol. 2, p.428 (1943) - β-NAPHTHOIC ACID
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-10-2022 at 06:12

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  

The solubility of calcium acetate is nearly twice that of the hypochlorite.

The solubility of calcium acetate decreases with rising temperature.

The problem is that you never get pure calcium hypochlorite. The purest form I found contains only 60% of it. You have to filter the solution, which contains a significant amount of other things, like calcium chloride, etc.

To generate chlorine, just use TCCA and HCl. It’s very simple, and you get a lot of chlorine (The three of the TCCA + that of HCl). Alternatively, drop HCl into bleach.

[Edited on 14-10-2022 by Keras]
Junk_Enginerd
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-11-2022 at 08:30

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  

I think you probably need to distil the product as it's formed.
Whether that's easier for you than making chlorine is another matter.

I've tried that way and it worked great. Rather than bothering with chilling everything etc, I used a minimal amount of water to make basically a slush of calcium hypochlorite. Then I just added the acetone dropwise and let the temperature go as high as it wanted. After a while, the chloroform was boiling off simply from the heat of adding acetone, and could be easily collected with a condenser.
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-11-2022 at 11:46

Junk_Enginerd - cool and clever method! Was it necessary to stir the reaction? I suppose also some part of acetone distilled out, how did you separate it from chloroform - washing with water?

Go To Top