Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Adapting non-quickfit to quickfit glassware
hasani10
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-10-2022 at 04:26
Adapting non-quickfit to quickfit glassware

I've recently found a cheap source for some large rbfs and conical flasks, but they don't have ground glass joints. I want to get them as it would save me some cash compared to getting the same sizes at 24/29.

Is there an adapter you can use to go from non-ground glassware to ground glassware? I'm imagining just like a simple thing you'd put in a bung with a female adapter to 24/29 but not quite sure what to search to find it online.

Also, would doing this affect how a distillation/ reflux runs much? Compared to using ground glass joints.

Thanks kindly :)
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-10-2022 at 04:56

Other than ptfe, resin/rubber/plastic compositions have various chemical compatibility issues with common solvents, acids, bases, oxidisers etc. so choose your materials carefully.

For simple distillation (no reflux) you could use a stopper with a hole and something like
https://laboyglass.com/glass-straight-inlet-adapter-with-24-...

For refluxing or fractional distillation the gas/vapour has to go up while liquid is falling down,
a hole as small as in the adapter above would choke.

I would rather have two ground glass RBFs than five plain neck RBFs - if of similar cost.

PS I have literally dozens of used PYREX flasks with plain necks - part of a job lot - one day they may be useful - one day...

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 30-10-2022 at 07:59

They’re cheap because they’re virtually useless (the RBFs anyway, the conical flasks are good to have)

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-10-2022 at 12:25

Yes, it is hard to make non-jointed glassware work for real distillations or complex reaction (inert, multineck, etc).

But there are many reactions that are simply stiring chemicals in a flask, and those work fine in any vessel, I use vials, test tubes, bottles, and other vessels to do simple reactions sometimes, when I have lots of parallel reactinos, or want to test multiple conditions or reagents at one time. So they may be useful, just not for distillations.

Go To Top