Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Seeking chem sources in Australia
warteo
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-3-2011 at 02:06
Seeking chem sources in Australia

Hi,

I'm hoping some fellow Australians can share information with me regarding reliable suppliers of chemicals who will supply to individuals. Would also be good to know how much monitoring of purchasing takes place, should I expect visits from the authorities for ordering common acids etc.? I'm certainly not planning on doing anything illegal but of course I'd rather avoid having my door kicked in by the police at 3am just because someone suspects that I *might* be up to no good.

Since this is my first post, I will quickly state what I'm doing in the hope I may find someone with similar interests. As well as pursuing chemistry as a hobby in general due to having a lifelong interest in all of the sciences, I have more specific aims. I'm planning on using chemical mutagens for the purpose of mutation breeding of ornamental plants, mostly by seed treatment although I will also try direct application to meristems. Obviously I will need to purchase/synthesize the required agents and since these are by nature hazardous further chemicals will be needed to neutralize any leftovers. Hence my need for finding a chemical supplier that I can order from with the minimum of hassles.

Really hoping someone can provide good advice and point me in the right direction here.
Bismuth
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-3-2011 at 02:48

Check your U2U.
trezza
Harmless

Mood: ok... I guess

[*] posted on 30-3-2011 at 16:57

SO Bismuth, would you care to spread the love to another Aussie (me)? If there was any love there.
Bismuth
Harmless

[*] posted on 31-3-2011 at 00:06

There's enough love here, I might as well be a care bear. In a more serious tone, no problems, I'm all for helping fellow Australians to try amplify this hobby and expand our canvas of chemicals/labware. However, at the same time, I know from history it is not in 'our' best interests to be throwing out sources for all of the public to see. And I do apologize for this somewhat clandestine way of helping people out, but I believe we all know why it's within our interests to occasionally act in such a manner.

I'll make it more official. For anyone in the australasia region, please don't hesitate to contact me via U2U if they need a hand finding sources. If there's anything I've particularly picked up over the years, it would be chemical/equipment acquisition. I don't wish to make this an advertising campaign, but I'll be able to personally help people out with lab equipment in the next few months, with hopefully an added sense of security and a better price than most. Stay tuned. Trezza, check your U2U.
theflickkk
Harmless

[*] posted on 31-3-2011 at 01:10

On a similar note, does anyone know of any ways places to acquire chemistry related things in Singapore? The laws are really strict here... but they mainly pertain to potential explosives and their precursors.

Go To Top