Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nice to meet you
Parakeet
Hazard to Self

Mood: V (V)

[*] posted on 23-12-2022 at 20:00
Nice to meet you

Hello.
I’m Parakeet, just a beginning student learning chemistry. I have been a lurker here for about a year, but I decided to create an account and join this forum. I love conducting science experiments. Due to the lack of knowledge and money, I have only done simple (mostly inorganic) experiments, but I’m interested in organic chemistry too.

I’m also an English learner. Please correct my English anytime if I make any mistakes.

I’m looking forward to learn chemistry in this forum.

By the way, are there any rules here that I should know? I have already read the FAQ page.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 23-12-2022 at 20:12

Welcome to the board.

Rules are pretty simple -- focus is on scientific content and so there's an expectation that you can back up claims that you make. Really good to include citations if you open a thread about a procedure or synthesis.
We are a bit different from other boards in that we prefer relevant content to be appended to an existing thread even if it is old. This keeps all the information together in one place. So, use the search engine and do some reading before opening a new thread.
Energetics and drug synthesis always walks a tight line between what is valid experimentation and what is legal in any given location. So, we do discuss the chemistry. We don't respond to spoonfeed requests or post explicit procedures that are likely to be illegal or get individuals in trouble. There are plenty of compounds in the realm of drugs that only have illicit applications and so we tend to take a dim view of these.

Other than that, just enjoy the community here. You will find that it is really supportive and encouraging and there is a wealth of high quality information here.

J.
Parakeet
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 24-12-2022 at 04:37

OK, I understand. Thank you for your explanation.
My main information source is chemistry books/textbooks (most of them written in Japanese) but can I cite them too?
Bedlasky
International Hazard

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 24-12-2022 at 07:49

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 24-12-2022 at 11:22

Quote: Originally posted by Parakeet  
My main information source is chemistry books/textbooks (most of them written in Japanese) but can I cite them too?

Google translate can do a lot, so if the reference is good, why not. Welcome to the forum!
Admagistr
Hazard to Others

Mood: The dreaming alchemist

[*] posted on 24-12-2022 at 12:39

Quote: Originally posted by Tsjerk  

Google translate can do a lot, so if the reference is good, why not. Welcome to the forum!

Much better than Google translator is DeepL translator, there's no comparison...
Parakeet,I look forward to your posts and any links in Japanese;-))What do you enjoy most in chemistry?
Parakeet
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 24-12-2022 at 16:07

I agree. DeepL is more accurate than Google.

Quote: Originally posted by Admagistr  

Much better than Google translator is DeepL translator, there's no comparison...
Parakeet,I look forward to your posts and any links in Japanese;-))What do you enjoy most in chemistry?

Like many of you here, I like experiments with beautiful visual effects. Do you know the blue bottle experiment in which you mix methylene blue and glucose and shake? Easy and simple but fun. I sometimes show this to my friends.
Admagistr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-12-2022 at 00:31

I agree. DeepL is more accurate than Google.

Like many of you here, I like experiments with beautiful visual effects. Do you know the blue bottle experiment in which you mix methylene blue and glucose and shake? Easy and simple but fun. I sometimes show this to my friends.

Hi and thanks for the reply.I have never tried the reaction you write about, nor seen it with my own eyes.Do you have any video of your own experiment?I am interested in solid state inorganic chemistry, especially in the synthesis of compounds that are or have the properties of gems. I have found quite a few great tutorials on the internet for gem synthesis in Japanese and translated them, with the help of DeepL.The Japanese are currently among the best in the world in this field, in my opinion.
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 25-12-2022 at 03:41

Blue bottle is rather fun and really easy. Great as a bit of a spectacle.

I have decided to upload a few junior-science videos to my yt channel. Blue bottle us among them. Probably happening early in the New Year.
Parakeet
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 25-12-2022 at 05:45

There are a lot of web sites and videos about the blue bottle. There’s actually a Wikipedia article. And NileRed has a video.
I’d love to watch yours too, j_sum.

I’ve read a method that uses microwave to make gems somewhere. I only have a microwave for cooking, so never tried it. I might try it in the future.

Oh, and if anyone is having trouble reading Japanese paper or something, I might be able to help. Please try Google Translation or DeepL first, but if that doesn’t work, you can message me. Of course I’m not a professional translator, so don’t expect a perfect translation.
Admagistr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-12-2022 at 11:45

There are a lot of web sites and videos about the blue bottle. There’s actually a Wikipedia article. And NileRed has a video.
I’d love to watch yours too, j_sum.

I’ve read a method that uses microwave to make gems somewhere. I only have a microwave for cooking, so never tried it. I might try it in the future.

Oh, and if anyone is having trouble reading Japanese paper or something, I might be able to help. Please try Google Translation or DeepL first, but if that doesn’t work, you can message me. Of course I’m not a professional translator, so don’t expect a perfect translation.

Thank you very much for the offer of translation!I can't translate this image using a translators,it may be interesting for others too.So I very beg you to translate this image in the attachment from the http://limejuice.jugem.jp/?eid=269... Thanks!;)

20190507_2552333.jpg - 374kB

[Edited on 25-12-2022 by Admagistr]
Parakeet
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 25-12-2022 at 18:53

Sure!

B5D74605-6083-4796-9181-9A7F747E424D.jpeg - 359kB
This is what it says. The red letters in the corner are actually characters on the envelope. The writer seems to be reusing an envelope to draw the sketch. If you have any questions about the translation, feel free to ask.

[Edited on 26-12-2022 by Parakeet]
Bedlasky
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-12-2022 at 22:41

Check out video I made yesterday, one of my favorite reaction:

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=15...

Yeah, blue bottle experiment is simple and nice. I tried to impress one beautiful lady with it back in the days.
Parakeet
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 26-12-2022 at 05:14

That is very beautiful!:o I was amazed when I first made [Cu(NH3)4]2+, but this one is even more fantastic. I wish I had some Mo componds.
Admagistr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-12-2022 at 05:54

Thank you very much!Do amateur chemists have a problem buying basic chemicals in Japan??I heard that you have some strict pharmaceutical law there and one professional seller from Europe was fined because of this when he sent a very toxic metal to Japan, I think Thallium, and sold it via Ebay...Also, did you manage to impress some beautiful lady with the "blue bottle";):)?
Bedlasky
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-12-2022 at 09:53

That is very beautiful!:o I was amazed when I first made [Cu(NH3)4]2+, but this one is even more fantastic. I wish I had some Mo componds.

Sodium molybdate and ammonium heptamolybdate are sold as nutrition supplement for plants. Maybe you can find it in some gardening store?

Also, did you manage to impress some beautiful lady with the "blue bottle";):)?

No, I didn't. We were just friends, but even that didn't last long.
Parakeet
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 26-12-2022 at 19:03

Do amateur chemists have a problem buying basic chemicals in Japan??I heard that you have some strict pharmaceutical law there and one professional seller from Europe was fined because of this when he sent a very toxic metal to Japan, I think Thallium, and sold it via Ebay...

I’d say it’s quite strict. We have a law called the Poisonous and Deleterious Substances Control Act, and many chemicals needs paperwork to obtain. Also, chemicals listed in that law are often hard to find sellers. NaOH and KOH are relatively easy to get if you do some paperwork. Concentrated HCl and H2SO4 are difficult to get, but 10% solution can be bought online. (You can’t buy battery acid unless you buy the whole battery)
For organic solvents, sales of ethyl acetate is restricted, but THF can easily be bought online. Funny thing.:D

Importing is one way, but I have heard that it requires many procedures in customs. Though, I know one person who managed to import acetic anhydride and c.H2SO4 from Estonia legally, so it should be possible.
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 6-1-2023 at 15:17

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Blue bottle is rather fun and really easy. Great as a bit of a spectacle.

I have decided to upload a few junior-science videos to my yt channel. Blue bottle us among them. Probably happening early in the New Year.

And here is the series.
Blue bottle is number 6.
Parakeet
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 7-1-2023 at 03:42

Nice videos!
They are concise and beautiful. I personally want to try the recrystallization of sulfur soon.

BTW I thought your YouTube channel was this. https://www.youtube.com/@j_sum1959
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 7-1-2023 at 03:51

It is a nice way to purify sulfur. If your source is gardening supplies, it can be full of all kinds of junk. Solvent is xylene although toluene also works.

Yeah, that account is also me. But not one I post to. Glad you liked the videos.

Go To Top