Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Lime Sulfur Dip for my Dog
chess86
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-1-2023 at 07:15
Lime Sulfur Dip for my Dog

Hi, I'm trying to make Lime sulfur dip safely for my Dog who has recurring ringworm.

I've been treating her for a year now. My vet prescribed chlorhexidine, miconazole nitrate shampoo, dermazole, and creams but it keeps coming back. I have tried vacuuming daily and bleaching my environment (No one is happy about this because we have wood panel floors). Everything feels like a lost cause at this point.

The vet also recommended Lime Sulfur Dip but I cannot buy it in my backwater country. I ordered some from Indonesia but it has been stuck in the mail for weeks.

I would like to be able to make some. I have seen it being made with no protective equipment on YouTube. But I would like your advice on how to do this safely.

I found a journal article online detailing the production of lime sulfur dip for
animals but I wanted some advice in order to do this as responsibly as possible.

The three ingredients I'm supposed to use in a ratio of 45:100:514 according to a journal article:
1. Lime Ca(OH)2
2. Sulfur
3. Water

My concern is the potential production of Hydrogen Sulfide Gas in the heating of these compounds together for approx. 1/2 an hour. What PPE should I wear?

I attached clips of the 12 page journal article below that shows the reactions.

Any advice you might have would be greatly appreciated.

SulfurDip.jpg - 461kB
Rainwater
National Hazard

Mood: indisposition to activity

[*] posted on 17-1-2023 at 07:37

https://www.chewy.com/vet-basics-lime-sulfur-dip/dp/163591?
Cured my dog.

"You can't do that" - challenge accepted
chess86
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-1-2023 at 07:58

Quote: Originally posted by Rainwater  
https://www.chewy.com/vet-basics-lime-sulfur-dip/dp/163591?
Cured my dog.

Glad to hear this cured your dog! This gives me hope. I tried to order from the link you sent but they don't ship to my country. I found an alternative brand that is coming from Indonesia but it has been weeks and still in Jakarta.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 17-1-2023 at 09:52

Yes, some hydrogen sulfide will inevitably form, but the amount should be relatively small under those conditions. With care, it should be doable even for someone with little to no chemistry experience. Conduct the process outside, ideally on a breezy day. Doing it indoors would be a very bad choice. Wear safety glasses and disposable gloves (mainly to avoid having your hands reek of sulfur afterwards).

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-1-2023 at 10:00

Hi chess86.
Personally I wouldn't wait for the parcel from Indonesia and prepare the remedy by myself :-)

The hydrolysis into H2S occurs even with the remedy from Indonesia but only at small extent. Due to CO2 from air.
H2CO3 and H2S have similar pKa1 circa 7

[Edited on 17-1-2023 by Fery]
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-1-2023 at 11:21

Had a similar problem years ago. No OTC product worked.
Out of the country I had no problem gettting a white pasty preparation that solved the problem almost overnight.
I never searched for the composition but I imagine the final aspect being similar to what you would get from your procedure.

I'd say go for it. It's easy enough to prepare and you'll feel like a champ if it works.

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen

Go To Top