Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: DCM
charley1957
Hazard to Others

Mood: Extracted

[*] posted on 23-1-2023 at 19:26
DCM

Today it was too cold to do anything outside so I decided to start extracting DCM from the last three gallons of DCM-containing stripper in my part of the world. From a little over 600 ml of the goop I was able to get 500 ml of crude DCM. This is gonna take a while to do all three gallons.

IMG_7022.JPG - 139kB

IMG_7023.JPG - 165kB

You can’t claim you drank all day if you didn’t start early in the morning.
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-1-2023 at 10:12

Why do it all at once ? You know DCM is an escape artist (someone else's words from SM but sooo true!).
I mean, if you have a container that has proven to be able to hold DCM even in summer why not. Otherwise, you might want to consider keeping it in a "stable" form and distill when needed.
I now have a lifelong supply in a metal can but I still remember losing one liter of the stuff I left in the HDPE bottle it was shipped in. The plastic bag that held everything wasnt even affected by the DCM evaporating. I only noticed it was empty when I picked up what was supposed to be an untouched bottle.

[Edited on 24-1-2023 by Herr Haber]

Edit by Texium: removed reply directed towards Neal (now in Detritus)

[Edited on 1-26-2023 by Texium]

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
charley1957
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-1-2023 at 11:42

Herr Haber, I had that same thought after I posted. I’ve had these cans of stripper now for a couple of years stored here in the lab where I have no AC, and they seem to have stood up to the desert summers just fine. I’m gonna do one more round of extraction then store the remaining stripper either in a freezer or refrigerator for the duration. With so many OTC chemicals going away these days I try to get enough while I still can to last for the foreseeable future.

thioacetone
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-1-2023 at 20:21

Can't you just buy DCM from chemical suppliers?
charley1957
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-1-2023 at 06:53

Of course I could buy DCM, if I want to pay lab supply house prices. But what’s the fun in that? For me something like extracting DCM from stripper is fun, instructive, and in the end I can say “I did this, I didn’t go out and buy it.” We can all buy any number of things OTC, but it’s more fun to synthesize or extract things for later use or for your element collection. That’s the spirit of home chemistry.

yobbo II
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-1-2023 at 10:55

DCM has disappeared from the high street paint remover products (in the EU anyways).
It is still available in 'professional' paint removal products. Try large car paint/accessory stores, industrial paint stores etc.

Yob
Texium
Administrator
Thread Split
26-1-2023 at 11:58

Go To Top