Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: sulfur dichloride/sulfur monochloride sulfure precipitate
6dthjd1
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 9-2-2023 at 15:53
sulfur dichloride/sulfur monochloride sulfure precipitate

I had made disulfur dichloride mixed with sulfur dichloride in 2018. it was distilled.

Recently I discovered that it it has yellow precipitate which reminds me of sulfur.

But if it is sulfur it is weird as a 2004 sciencemadness link suggest one of the sulfur chlorides can dissolve up to 67% of S8 by weight.

I am thinking of bubbling Cl2 into the sulfur chloride in the hopes that I can dissolve this yellow precipitate.

Is this a good plan?
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 9-2-2023 at 19:07

In my limited understanding, sulfur chlorides have a limited shelf life. I would not be surprised to see S precipitate in dusulfur dichloride. What else could it possibly be? (You should not see anything in SCl2)

You have the choice of using the liquid present (if it is sufficient for your needs) or of reacting the sulfur precipitate with Cl2 as you have suggested – which is essentially the same as repeating the synthesis.

6dthjd1
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 9-2-2023 at 19:13

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
In my limited understanding, sulfur chlorides have a limited shelf life. I would not be surprised to see S precipitate in dusulfur dichloride. What else could it possibly be? (You should not see anything in SCl2)

You have the choice of using the liquid present (if it is sufficient for your needs) or of reacting the sulfur precipitate with Cl2 as you have suggested – which is essentially the same as repeating the synthesis.

Do you think I must re-distill or use heat? I'd desire to avoid to do so as time has been a bit short for me recently
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 9-2-2023 at 20:05

I guess it would depend on your procedure. If you have S precipitated then it would be logical to assume that what you have left is S2Cl2 and that some Cl2 has escaped since 2018. If there is no possibility of impurities getting in then I don't think distillation would be needed. If your procedure needs SCl2 then you will want to convert it by reaction with Cl2.

Bedlasky
International Hazard

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 10-2-2023 at 06:10

Quote: Originally posted by 6dthjd1  

But if it is sulfur it is weird as a 2004 sciencemadness link suggest one of the sulfur chlorides can dissolve up to 67% of S8 by weight.

I agree that this is quite strange. S2Cl2 reacts with sulfur to form dichloropolysulfanes SxCl2.

Go To Top