Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Production of alkali metals
necteur
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-2-2023 at 14:31
Production of alkali metals

Hi,
(This is my first post on the forum so I apologize if i am not in the right section and/or if someone has already answer to this question (i have made some research but i haven't found anything).
After synthesising some sodium metal by the reduction of sodium hydroxide by magnesium catalyse by menthol. I was wondring if we could use the same methode to synthesis other alkali metal by replacing the sodium hydroxide with potassium/lithium/rubidium/cesium hydroxide. On this page of the wiki, they say that it should work but it still seems untested (i think that because in the catalyst performance table their is only a result for sodium).

Thanks
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 18-2-2023 at 14:58

One of the longest threads on this forum is dedicated to potassium isolation: https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=14...

It predates the sodium procedure, and is in fact the inspiration for it. Cesium probably can't be obtained the same way, but with a home-made apparatus, a good vacuum pump, and some inert gas, it can be distilled from a mixture of CsCl and lithium: http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=6981&a...

Please try searching harder in the future before starting new threads. I recommend going to Google and entering your query along with site:sciencemadness.org to effectively find what you are looking for, because our built-in search engine is troublesome and not user-friendly. I'm closing this thread because we prefer to keep discussions on topics consolidated rather than having many open threads covering topics that have already been thoroughly discussed.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
18-2-2023 at 14:58
Texium
Administrator
Thread Closed
18-2-2023 at 14:58

Go To Top