Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Grocery store vinegar is not very clean
SnailsAttack
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-2-2023 at 08:30
Grocery store vinegar is not very clean

I've been working with store-bought 'distilled white vinegar' for a year and a half and have only just now linked it to all the impurities that keep appearing in my metal acetates.

Maybe this should've been obvious, but the impurity only makes itself apparent when pyrolyzed or treated with certain chemicals under unknown conditions.

IMG_4510.jpg - 197kB
Brown material that forms on pyrolysis.

IMG_4511.jpg - 272kB
Various metal acetates affected by the vinegar impurity (left) compared to clean water (right). Recrystallization is effective for purifying sodium acetate and perhaps copper acetate, but few of the others.

With calcium acetate I've tried with isolation with hot water, cold water, and various solvent extractions such as hot 90% isopropanol, to no avail.

Now I get to save up for a liter of ACS grade acetic anhydride, since apparently it's only about twice as expensive per gram of acetic acid compared to store-bought vinegar.

Deathunter88
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-2-2023 at 09:41

It's sugar left over from fermentation + also added for taste. Wreaks havoc when trying to dry sodium acetate (as you've experienced).
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 28-2-2023 at 10:20

Yep. It’s very well known on this forum that food grade vinegar is not pure. I’m surprised that you weren’t already aware.

As for buying acetic anhydride to make acetic acid though, that is pure sacrilege! You can buy clean glacial acetic acid online for cheap. My favorite source: https://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=acetic

It works great and it’s a much better $/mol than vinegar too.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 28-2-2023 at 10:54
DudaDiesel

Texium, I wholeheartedly agree with you on this supplier. That bunch in Alabama
does a great job. I have purchased KNO3 from them in the past.

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
SnailsAttack
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-3-2023 at 07:54

Quote: Originally posted by Deathunter88  
It's sugar left over from fermentation + also added for taste. Wreaks havoc when trying to dry sodium acetate (as you've experienced).

Actually I think sodium acetate itself is somewhat hygroscopic. I measured the dissolved solids content of my store-bought vinegar at only 0.57 ± 0.10 g/L (which, to be fair, is a lot for something meant as a streak-free window cleaner!), which I knew months ago but ignored because it seemed so innocuous.

Vinegar_impurity.png - 154kB

Pictured above is 0.008 grams of the impurity. It's colorless, but as I said in the original post, I suspect that the nasty brownish-green colors emerge on pyrolysis and/or exposure to certain chemicals over time.

Quote: Originally posted by Texium  
Yep. It’s very well known on this forum that food grade vinegar is not pure. I’m surprised that you weren’t already aware.

As for buying acetic anhydride to make acetic acid though, that is pure sacrilege! You can buy clean glacial acetic acid online for cheap. My favorite source: https://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=acetic

It works great and it’s a much better $/mol than vinegar too.

Oh man, that's way cheaper than any source of acetic acid I was able to find. Thanks, I'll order some now.

Go To Top