Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: RoseBoom
Microtek
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-4-2023 at 03:41
RoseBoom

I have just become aware of a new computational tool for predicting the performance of energetics. It's called RoseBoom, and has an actual GUI (with a horrendous pink/green color scheme) Klapötke has published a couple of papers on it where he compares it to Explo5. It seems to be about as accurate as that program but much, much easier to use. As far as I know only the structure and density of the material is required, bypassing the need for heat of formation calculations.
It would be very useful to have access to such a program, but I don't know what a subscription would cost...
Raid
Hazard to Everyone

Mood: School

[*] posted on 17-4-2023 at 09:11

Nice find! I kind of have a feeling that subs for this would be expensive…
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-4-2023 at 09:54
Honeytrap?

Maybe not, but it would be an easy thing to do.

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
Microtek
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-4-2023 at 21:57

I had the same thought, but I don't really think so. As far as I can tell, the intelligence community (at least in the EU) is much more focused on finding people with radicalized political or religious tendencies rather than people with theoretical and/or practical knowledge of energetics. Besides, most places simulating or reading about explosives is not illegal.
simply RED
Hazard to Others

Mood: booM

[*] posted on 25-4-2023 at 11:26

The intelligence community in EU is only focused on licking us asses.

When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead...
dettoo456
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-4-2023 at 11:10

@Microtek Not to delve into politics too much, and in the US it might be different, but whether you like it or not, the whole ‘Overton Window’ is a real phenomenon in the modern world. Things we once thought of as commonplace are radical, or label with some overused epithet to disregard any and all sensible points. I don’t trust any court to give me the benefit of the doubt if they find books about explosives or destructive devices in my property - I’d say they (both US 3-letter agencies and Eurotrash ones) would rather lock me up for 20yrs for the publicity/political stunt and promotion. The whole use of programs to assume energetic properties seems fairly pointless to me too (from the amateur pov) since we can already make predictions off of physical and moietilogical (not a real word but who cares) characteristics of energetics at the amateur level. Hell, HMXs properties have been known about since the 40s and the only real improvements made regarding it are studies on toxicology. TKX-50, LLM-105, and NTO are nothing fantastic compared to HMX, RDX, and PETN (or even HNS) but they only have gained favor due to overinflated military budgets to justify their synth costs and marginally better det velocities, pressures, etc. If you actually want to put a molecule to market then yea, the program can help to persuade contractors, but if you just make it in your backyard on a weekend, then the one that has the most NO2(or N3)/$, hammer-impact stability, and shelf life will be fine. Just my two cents.

TLDR: retard rants
Hey Buddy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-4-2023 at 16:41

Not to delve into politics, are there any ultra-right wing, simple calc softwares? Something like "BTFU_fax.exe"? Not for me. Asking for a friend.
Microtek
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-4-2023 at 00:23

I live in the EU and have been ordering papers on energetics through my public library (as a private individual) for more than 20 years. Then they print them out for me, and I pick them up. I also know that there is an exception in the national laws governing pyrotechnics and explosives. This exception means that high school teachers are allowed to make such substances with their students providing it is for educational purposes.
Hey Buddy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-4-2023 at 18:50

In all seriousness, i'm surprised the energetic materials forum havent put together a program with at least all of the basic equation calculators, oxygen balance calculator, pyro valence calculator etc. There should be plenty of expertise. Surprised, I am.
Microtek
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-4-2023 at 01:28

IIRC, there was someone who developed his own model, but it still required the heat of formation to be input. This will usually require quantum chemical calculations which can take a really long time. Roseboom is apparently able to fudge this calculation while still achieving decent precision.
Hey Buddy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-4-2023 at 16:51

I've never attempted detonation calculation methods, the farthest I've gone are simple calculations. I have run into a publication many times while doing unrelated literature searches. I have no idea of its validity, never attempted to use it. Have you seen "Predicting the Detonation Velocity of CHNO Explosives by a Simple Method" Mohammad Hossein Keshavarz -2005? I used to see it all the time. It uses heat of formation so it's not much different, but just wondering if you are familiar with the method, if it is accurate? Or for that matter, do you know which general source equations are used in calculation software?
Microtek
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-4-2023 at 01:35

Not really my area of expertise but yes, I am aware of the papers by Keshavarz. IIRC, they are group additive models that take a number of parameters as the variables, and are then fitted using methods from multiply linear regression to determine the constants. The issue with that kind of model is whether it also works well on materials that weren't part of the set that it was fitted on.

Go To Top