Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Update on my YouTube science channel
Thyzoid
Harmless

Mood: Alive.

[*] posted on 6-6-2023 at 09:40
Update on my YouTube science channel

Hello there guys!

You may or may not have heard about my youtube channel before (Youtube: Thy Labs) but nevertheless I thought you may want to hear this. In a year I am going to stop producing chemistry videos. I have done this for long enough and I simply don´t care anymore. Editing takes a long time which I am not willing to spend. I will not stop completely with chemistry and there will be an occasional synthesis project but with chemistry videos I'll be done.

The reason for this post is the following: If i stop posting or replying I am not dead or such but simply decided to leave all of this behind.

It's been fun doing everything but I cannot continue forever. If anyone is from my area feel free to contact me if you planned any interesting chemistry project. I may allow you to use my lab, equipment and chemicals.

[Edited on 6-6-2023 by Thyzoid]
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 6-6-2023 at 13:03

Well, it will be said to see you go!

I look forward to your videos.

"Question everything generally thought to be obvious." - Dieter Rams
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 6-6-2023 at 18:29

I commented on your YT post -- briefly while I was sorting out the chaos that was my household this morning. That's life.

I fully appreciate the position you are in. I think that chem videos require a surprisingly large investment of effort and time. Not only is there the normal camera work, there is the complication of getting really good shots of what you are doing: nice close ups etc. Then there are sound matters. It is not easy to talk and do chemistry and filming at the same time. So you have to write a script and edit sound in later. Which leads to a lot of editing. And that is before you get to any graphics or formulas or animations that you might need to support your explanations. This is nothing like the unboxing or commentary / vlog style videos that many youtubers churn out.

Which is to say that this is a demanding thing to fit around normal everyday life. It is easy to lose motivation or to get way behind on what you hoped to achieve.

So, thanks for all that you have done. I have really enjoyed your videos. I do hope that this is not a permanent goodbye and that you at least get to do some chemistry even if you are not making videos of what you do.

J.
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-6-2023 at 00:49

I didn't even know about your channel. Too bad. There seems to be a lot of nice experiments there.

Before it’s too late, I would advise you to hand out all your videos to the Internet archive (archive.org) much like Chemplayer and others did. That way, they will be protected from any crazy YouTube policy that might kill them otherwise, and will be there for others (like me) who will discover them in the years to come.

In any case, thanks for your time, effort and dedication to the cause :)

Viel Spaß für die Zukunft. Mach’s gut.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-6-2023 at 02:04

Wow!.... Lots of interesting videos
I never came across your YouTube channel before.
I'm going to watch a few now.

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
Rainwater
National Hazard

Mood: indisposition to activity

[*] posted on 7-6-2023 at 03:41

Been watching since you had 3 or 4 videos.
Sorry to see you getting out of videos, top notch production
Turning fun into work ruins the fun.
If you want to talk about your latest and greatest projects, please, post about it here. Keep us updated.

"You can't do that" - challenge accepted
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 7-6-2023 at 12:00

Quote: Originally posted by Keras  

Before it’s too late, I would advise you to hand out all your videos to the Internet archive (archive.org) much like Chemplayer and others did. That way, they will be protected from any crazy YouTube policy that might kill them otherwise, and will be there for others (like me) who will discover them in the years to come.

In any case, thanks for your time, effort and dedication to the cause :)

Well said, Keras.

Thy, thank you for the piece of your life you have given to our community!

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

Thyzoid
Harmless

Mood: Alive.

[*] posted on 30-6-2023 at 11:17

To anybody who cares: A month ago I said that I will quit youtube. I truly did not give a fuck about the channel anymore and it (alongside other things going on) contributed to me being depressed and literally in a "choose your poison" situation. I really meant to quit.

It was a pretty dark place and a self made prison. It looked like it was not worth continuing and the consideration to stop and never look back / never reply to comments and never upload again, to just disappear and delete everything was reasonable.

The last week proved me wrong. It may be worth continuing and I gained back at least some motivation to film again.

To anyone else who does youtube, feels down and thinks about quitting listen to someone who thought the same and please don´t. I got my life back together and am happy to have done so.

If anyone of you ever feels down feel free to contact me if you want somebody to talk to. I may not be the best person when it comes to helping out but I have been in the same dark place and am more than willing to listen and talk.

[Edited on 30-6-2023 by Thyzoid]
Sir_Gawain
Hazard to Others

Member Is Online

Mood: Yes.

[*] posted on 30-6-2023 at 11:48

I was very disappointed after your first post and I'm glad you've decided to continue! Chemistry videos are among the hardest to film and edit, so good chemistry youtubers are few and far between.

“Alchemy is trying to turn things yellow; chemistry is trying to avoid things turning yellow.” -Tom deP.

Go To Top