Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Uranium
Ozonelabs
Hazard to Others

Mood: Oligomerised

[*] posted on 12-5-2010 at 03:38

We have a quantity of uranium nitrate, uranium zinc acetate and thorium nitrate available for sale. U2U or email for pricing.

Ozonelabs

peach
Bon Vivant

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-5-2010 at 14:14

Quote: Originally posted by 12AX7  
Too bad there's an awful lot of iron and other things in there.

Ask United Nuclear for one of their ridiculously powerful Neodym. monsters, that might take care of the iron for you.

I know people pull iron ores out of sand using the same idea.

You'd obviously want it as finely dispersed as you could get it, perhaps by dissolving it and then re-extracting.

Honestly though, as much as I hate the unnecessary fear surrounding these kinds of things, I'd still be wary of powering even the ore to a fine particulate and the possibility of it getting into the air.

A half face respirator with a P3 or something on it might be an idea. But that's prevention rather than cure, I wouldn't want it hanging around all over the place to start with.

It won't be hard to check if that's necessary, just check what the guys in the mines & refineries wear if there's dust around.

"What are we going to do tonight United Nuclear?"
"Same thing we do every night Pinky. Try to take over the world!"

[Edited on 13-5-2010 by peach]
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 13-5-2010 at 15:09

Ridiculously powerful magnets don't do much to aqueous iron...

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-7-2010 at 08:09
Uranium ore from Amazon

Amazon is selling small tins of uranium ore. Please, please, do yourself a favor and read the reviews; they almost constitute a genre.
plastics
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-7-2010 at 08:18

Quote: Originally posted by watson.fawkes  
Amazon is selling small tins of uranium ore. Please, please, do yourself a favor and read the reviews; they almost constitute a genre.

Almost as funny as the reviews (now removed) for the book by Martin Wank entitled "Sex, Freud and Folly: The Truth About Psychotherapy" eg "Wank has a firm grasp of his subject"

Sorry completely off topic but couldn't resist

[Edited on 23-7-2010 by plastics]
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 23-7-2010 at 09:32

You can get 100mg of U metal from eBay... for $20. no thanks

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
spong
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-7-2010 at 03:37

If you want to make it from ore, have a look here, it's only the first step as they haven't completed the rest but it'll make things a bit easier.
http://web.archive.org/web/20070911192343/http://www.unitedn...
It seems they've taken down that page so webarchive really comes in handy for stuff like that.
Otherwise, this place is in Melbourne:
http://www.vanbar.com.au/catalogue/product.php?id=72175
100g uranyl nitrate for $376.20. It would probably be cheaper to fly to a mine, collect some yellowcake and make your own for that price :P

[Edited on 28-7-2010 by spong]
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 28-7-2010 at 04:58

Quote: Originally posted by watson.fawkes  

:D

MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 31-7-2010 at 16:31

I realize this may sound a little pompous but, I don't care: some of those people on Amazon are morons.

Quote:

pleez tell me this is a joke guyz, omg! lik we wnt terrozists 2 b able 2 by dis nukular bomb juice!

*not a real quote

U.S. Uranium concentrations:

http://energy.cr.usgs.gov/images/other/uranium/uranium_conce...

Some mines:

http://www.defendblackhills.org/img/original/uranium-map-lar...

If you happen to live in or around Montana or the Appalachians, you're in luck.

Hmmmm... Looks like there are two small red dots in my area... I wish there were highly detailed maps I could get my hands on. Perhaps going to the geology department of the nearest University might lead you to some information regarding local U deposits.

Also, although my state is not well known for uranium deposits, I found a paper published almost 50 years ago that gives a very detailed description of a location with an anomolously large amount of "highly concentrated" uranium ore.

Just keep on looking (those of you that are interested in finding ore). I find this very fascinating (the potential of "proscpecting" for U ores).

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 31-7-2010 at 16:59

Quote: Originally posted by MagicJigPipe  
I realize this may sound a little pompous but, I don't care: some of those people on Amazon are morons.

Quote:

pleez tell me this is a joke guyz, omg! lik we wnt terrozists 2 b able 2 by dis nukular bomb juice!

*not a real quote

U.S. Uranium concentrations:

http://energy.cr.usgs.gov/images/other/uranium/uranium_conce...

Some mines:

http://www.defendblackhills.org/img/original/uranium-map-lar...

If you happen to live in or around Montana or the Appalachians, you're in luck.

Hmmmm... Looks like there are two small red dots in my area... I wish there were highly detailed maps I could get my hands on. Perhaps going to the geology department of the nearest University might lead you to some information regarding local U deposits.

Also, although my state is not well known for uranium deposits, I found a paper published almost 50 years ago that gives a very detailed description of a location with an anomolously large amount of "highly concentrated" uranium ore.

Just keep on looking (those of you that are interested in finding ore). I find this very fascinating (the potential of "proscpecting" for U ores).

Thanks for sharing!
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 9-8-2010 at 10:48

I made a webpage about solutions and precipitates of uranium compounds. Its chemistry is quite interesting and I think it would be nice to share with others:

http://woelen.homescience.net/science/chem/solutions/u.html

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 9-8-2010 at 13:01

Notice that most of the argument against uranium is that you wouldn't eat it?

These are people who NEED to eat it.

Edit: No wonder people are fat. "Ooh what's this then? *nom*"

[Edited on 9-8-2010 by psychokinetic]

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 9-8-2010 at 18:32

Quote: Originally posted by psychokinetic  

Edit: No wonder people are fat. "Ooh what's this then? *nom*"

Globey
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-8-2010 at 06:29

A UVA (black light) will help in the abandoned mines, but really, mostly what you'll get is composed of U238, and not the fisible 235 isotope. In fact, I believe Yellow Cake itself is used in the pottery/glazing business. Until recently, the refined ore represented the naturally occurring isotopic distribution. But now, almost all ceramics grade pigment has already been processed by one of our national plants to remove the valuable 235. And this process is one of the reasons U235 is so expensive. Also, the necessary closed loop controls make control of heroin & cocaine look like a walk in the park. Trying to acquire uranium, even depleted, is likely one step worse than making meth, counterfeiting greenbacks (or whatever colors hey are now), and(or) being a pedophile child molester sexual baby predator.
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 19-8-2010 at 16:33

Quote: Originally posted by Globey  
Also, the necessary closed loop controls make control of heroin & cocaine look like a walk in the park. Trying to acquire uranium, even depleted, is likely one step worse than making meth, counterfeiting greenbacks (or whatever colors hey are now), and(or) being a pedophile child molester sexual baby predator.
WTF are you rambling on about, son? Uranium is easily available to anybody.
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-8-2010 at 16:42

I can only assume he was talking about pure U235 (which I still think would be a cool thing to have in an element collection!) If you could pull that off (getting a sizable amount) you wouldn't be posting here and you'd be rich; and possibly also an accessory to mass murder.

Well, I don't know... Maybe you would post here...

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 20-8-2010 at 16:59

Quote: Originally posted by MagicJigPipe  
I can only assume he was talking about pure U235 ...
Why would you assume that? He said "Trying to acquire uranium, even depleted, is likely one step worse ..."

Depleted is not pure U235. But you knew that.

Has your fall semester started? What courses are you taking this year MJP?
Contrabasso
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-8-2010 at 23:56

Just be aware that the chemistry of uranium has hazards as well as the radio-chemistry hazards. Even the fine particles of U238 (stable isotope) are regarded as possible problems with acute human contact.
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 21-8-2010 at 08:19

Quote: Originally posted by Contrabasso  
Just be aware that the chemistry of uranium has hazards as well as the radio-chemistry hazards. Even the fine particles of U238 (stable isotope) are regarded as possible problems with acute human contact.
Contrabasso, I agree about U toxicity, but amateurs do perform uranium chemistry without serious problems.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 21-8-2010 at 11:05

Yes, I also did some home chemistry with uranium (I posted a web page about that a few days ago), such as reducing it to lower oxidation states and testing its fluorescent properties. I now made some of the formiate, which is not fluorescent.

Uranium salts are toxic, but not as toxic as salts of e.g. mercury, lead and cadmium.

My starting material is some powdered uranium oxide (a dark green powder, mostly U3O8, UO2 and maybe some silicate material in it as well). I think it is crushed pitchblende ore. It dissolves fairly easily in 50% nitric acid, when the acid is heated. Some insoluble crap remains (the silicate stuff) and with H2O2 I can precipitate the uranyl content of the solution. Then I have the material for further experimenting.

Btw, the posted link is a fantastic one. This is really nice home chemistry. Everything (except maybe the last step of reduction to metallic uranium) could be done by even a moderately equipped home chemist.

[Edited on 21-8-10 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-8-2010 at 16:52

Quote:

Why would you assume that? He said "Trying to acquire uranium, even depleted, is likely one step worse ..." Depleted is not pure U235. But you knew that. Has your fall semester started? What courses are you taking this year MJP?

You're right, I just chose to assume he didn't know what depleted U was.

Yes, the fall semester just started last week. I will be taking one chemistry course (damn scheduling conflicts), a physics course, a math course and a programming course. Also, a couple of hours of undergrad. research in chemistry and possibly physics. Details are in U2U.

uchiacon
Hazard to Self

Mood: Financial

[*] posted on 12-9-2010 at 01:08

This guy here has 3g of depleted uranium for sale for like $55.
Just found it while lurking through ebay. It looks of a decent size.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pure-Uranium-Metal-Sample-RARE-2-728-gra...
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top