Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Decontaminating HDPE
Curious George
Harmless

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 7-4-2011 at 12:03
Decontaminating HDPE

Have a supply of HDPE that is contaminated with an organic peroxide -- probably DTBP = Di-tert-butyl peroxide. This peroxide is typically used as a cross linking agent. The peroxide has been ABSORBED by the HDPE, but has not been heated yet, so there is no cross linking reaction. I need to EXTRACT the DTBP from the HDPE to prevent cross linking when the HDPE is melted.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
HydroCarbon
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-4-2011 at 15:16

You could possibly try soaking it in a solvent that the peroxide is highly soluble in, and also that swells the polymer. Im thinking methylene chloride, or chloroform.
Curious George
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-4-2011 at 08:39

Tried Xylene, and it worked well. Problem is that xylene is too expensive. Is there any way to do this in an AQUEOUS system?

I've tried adding caustic and adding ammonia to water. They have removed "something" from the HDPE (solutions become yellow to brown), but NOT the X linking peroxide.

Also tried several household detergents, but I'm assuming not enough 'driving force' to move the "plastic soluble" organics from the HDPE to the aqueous phase.

Any suggestions? I KNOW there are some BRILLIANT people out there !
Eclectic
National Hazard

Mood: Obsessive

[*] posted on 8-4-2011 at 08:51

Try kerosene?
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 8-4-2011 at 09:18

also ethylacetate (slower)- is the reason for extracting it because you want to melt the HDPE? If you heat it will it bond to the HDPE? (2 free rads)

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Curious George
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-4-2011 at 09:29

Kerosene or #2 heating oil are my next two choices. However, I'm afraid that the lack of aromaticity will prevent good extraction. Will report back...

Yes, I want to MELT the HDPE w/o triggering the crosslinking. As is, it starts to melt and then "sets up" before I can use it. I can either remove (extract) the XL agent, OR, is there some way to PREVENT IT from working?

Either way, I'd like to do this in AQUEOUS solution (or perhaps an emulsion?) if possible.

Appreciate any advice....
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 8-4-2011 at 10:28

Can't you just get new HDPE? Unless you are operating on a large scale of course

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
HydroCarbon
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-4-2011 at 13:58

I doubt you'll be able to do it with aqueous, as the solvent (water) won't be able to penetrate the polymer matrix. Heating oil and other low grade organic materials are also a bad idea as they would contaminate your polymer with the non-volatile contaminants that are present.

One thing you may want to try is grinding the polymer to a fine powder; then you may even be able to extract the peroxide with an aqueous solution, or at least a low amount of clean solvent.

Go To Top