Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: calcium chloride from calcium carbonate (using a chloride salt)
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

mad.gif posted on 24-4-2011 at 18:31
calcium chloride from calcium carbonate (using a chloride salt)

i don't want to use up my hcl acid
can i react sodium chloride with calcium carbonate
to yield calcium chloride one source says reactants are the products
and another says different

or calcium carbonate with manganese chloride (have a bit of that from my chlorine generator) forming manganese carbonate precipitate and soluble calcium chloride?
or any transition metal salt for that reason forming mostly insoluble metal carbonates

[Edited on 25-4-2011 by symboom]
ldanielrosa
Hazard to Others

Mood: transparent

[*] posted on 24-4-2011 at 21:23

Bad news bro, soluble salts share ions and if anything insoluble results it precipitates out. That is what you have with calcium carbonate. You need an acid to displace the carbonate with no cation to keep it in solution.
symboom
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-4-2011 at 22:43

your right maybe calcium hydroxide and transition metal chloride
like iron or manganese chloride forming manganese oxide hydroxide (as i read hydroxide does not exist) and calcium chloride
Ca(OH)2 + MnCl2> CaCl2 + MnO(OH)
NurdRage
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-4-2011 at 22:51

If you can get your hands on ammonium chloride then you can boil ammonium chloride together with calcium carbonate.

The reaction generates ammonium carbonate which boils out as ammonia and carbon dioxide.

You get calcium chloride left behind.
symboom
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-4-2011 at 07:22

thanks that helps abit. i think I've seen Sal ammoniac at the grocery store surprising i seen it.
interesting Sal ammoniac has also been used in the past in bakery products to give cookies a very crisp texture, although that application is rapidly dying due to the general disuse of it as an ingredient
i just need a little bit of calcium chloride and don't want to buy a whole lot
m1tanker78
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-4-2011 at 07:49

Why not run chlorine from your generator through a column of hydrated lime? Lime is excruciatingly cheap and easy to separate from the aqueous calcium chloride. Drying the calcium chloride is not so easy in any case :(

If you want to buy a small quantity, hit up your local pool supply store. IIRC, it's around 5 or 6 bucks for a 5 lb container (here). You'd probably still need to dry it because I'm pretty sure it isn't anhydrous.

Tom
symboom
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-4-2011 at 13:06

ok ill try that i use sea shells from the lake to make calcium hydroxide so that sounds like a good idea did not think of that
i live out there pool supply places arnt so common 6 bucks for cacl2 not bad it just finding rock salt that has all calcium chloride is hard to find ording online is another option but its only useful in bulk cheaper ill try a pool supply.
well i guess i say what i want to do make boron from FFC Cambridge process and make boron from (boric acid>boron trioxide>boron element)
m1tanker78
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-4-2011 at 19:27

symboom, I bought some stuff for my pool and looked in on the calcium chloride. I was a tiny bit off on the price. :D It's actually ~$13.00/5 pounds at this particular place. My bad...

Tank
g3ovn
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-6-2011 at 14:38

You can try to react it with CO2 and make the bicarbonate, which is soluble in water. I would put a tiny amount of dry ice in water and put the CaCO3 in it.
CaCO3 + CO2 + H2O → Ca(HCO3)2

Thats what happen when the dissolved carbon dioxide in rainwater reacts with limestone. Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weathering#Dissolution_.2F_Carb...

Go To Top