Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Reaction between zinc chloride and sodium hypochlorite?
BlazeBall
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-4-2011 at 16:32
Reaction between zinc chloride and sodium hypochlorite?

Would there be any significant reaction between zinc chloride and sodium hypochlorite in an aqueous solution of 0.5% and 0.1% respectively?
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 27-4-2011 at 19:34

Why don't yout give it a try?

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 28-4-2011 at 06:22

There is no reaction between zinc ions and hypochlorite ions.
Zinc cyanide in waste plating solutions is routinely treated with hypochlorite to destroy the cyanide and free the zinc for precipitation as the carbonate.
This is then separated out and sent for disposal.
bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-4-2011 at 06:59

In that case though one would expect the zinc to be precipitated as hydroxide by the NaOH present, no? With enough ZnCl2 I bet you could evolve chlorine gas, too... concentrated, it's acidic. But a 0.5% solution probably wouldn't do the job.
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 28-4-2011 at 07:13

You are right about the hydroxide, that is what drops out;

http://www.wastech.com/pages/zinc-removal

I doubt those solutions would evolve chlorine gas when mixed, they might behave like the chlorine water of old :)
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 23-5-2011 at 19:35

I would not rule out the possible production of some oxy-chloride which are commonly created with the metals Copper and Lead (which also has an oxy-nitrate).

Any chance the compound is white, amorphous zinc oxychloride, 2 ZnCl2,3 ZnO.11 H20?
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 24-5-2011 at 14:51

Another possibility is:

2 NaClO + ZnCl2 = 2 NaCl + Zn(OCl)2

namely, Zinc Hypochlorite, which exists and per Wikipedia was original reported per the now defunct Groliers' Encyclopedia as being formed by heating a water solution of ZnCl2 upon which the Zn(OCl)2 solid forms. I suspect the O2 in the water oxidized the ZnCl2. In our case, NaClO is the oxiderizer.
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 24-5-2011 at 18:27

I hate to say that I am the best, but honestly, I just came across this reference that establishes that BOTH of my opinions expressed in this thread (even though one might think there are mutually exclusive) are in fact CORRECT.

REFERENCE
"A comprehensive treatise on inorganic and theoretical chemistry", Volume 2 By Joseph William Mellor

LINK
http://books.google.com/books?id=7XoGAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA274&a...

Extract of Page 274
" A. J. Balard likewise formed a soln. of zinc hypochlorite by the action of hypochlorous acid on zinc oxide. The soln. behaved in an analogous manner when the attempt was made to concentrate it in vacuo. A. J. Balard also prepared a similar soln. by double decomposition of zinc sulphate and an excess of calcium hypochlorite. G. Lunge and L. Landolt obtained a soln. of zinc hypochlorite by a process similar to that employed by P. Grouvelle. They found that some chlorate was formed when working at 15°, and still more at higher temp. The zinc hypochlorite was found to decompose into zinc chloride or oxychloride and oxygen. Very little chlorate is present in the soln. obtained by decomposing zinc sulphate with a soln. of bleaching powder. The soln. of zinc hypochlorite is less stable than that of the calcium or magnesium salt. R. Bottger found that hypochlorous acid has no appreciable action on zinc."

From this it is evident a double replacement with ZnCl2 and NaClO most likely does produce Zn(OCl)2 and further, the Zn(OCl)2 is unstable decomposing into zinc chloride or oxychloride and oxygen, the latter being my first speculation.
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-5-2011 at 21:36

@AJKOER please don't post multiple times repeatedly, just use the edit function. Also if something accidentally gets posted twice please delete it.

Thanks for the reference.

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 25-5-2011 at 04:43

Sorry, I a new guy.

I just figure out how to delete, namely check DELETE box and proceed to re-edit. This apparently works, although normally re-hitting the EDIT button just puts me in an infinite loop with no-edits.

I will delete this message also for more practice!

Go To Top