Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Scientific Diagramming Software
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 27-4-2011 at 22:36
Scientific Diagramming Software

Is there something that you guys can recommend? I already have ChemBioOffice and Electronics Workbench but I would like something that would make it easier to create diagrams (something that takes up A LOT of time for me right now because I do it in paint--and it looks like crap) quickly, neatly and efficiently.

A good example would be the following image (more examples here):

F2_6_Photo_Tube.gif - 13kB

A better example would be this image (how are things like this typically made? Like in a textbook. Are they drawn by artists usually? I can definitely tell that modern textbooks use computers, Quantum Chemistry and Spectroscopy 2nd Ed. by Engel being a GREAT example):

phototube.jpg - 18kB

Thanks!

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
m1tanker78
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-4-2011 at 13:10

I've used AutoCAD for years. In fact, I still have the habit of typing most commands. :D The rendering is very flexible. You can create exploded diagrams. I gather that's one of the features you're looking for.
SovereignSolip
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-5-2011 at 07:58

Yeah auto CAD is excellent, and I can't imagine a program that can beat it out. Although Google Sketchup does work for simple purposes. AutoCAD does cost a couple grand iirc, google is free.

With either of these you should be able to render simple 3-d diagrams and take stills of them from any angle.

Go To Top