Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Compressor cooling for the home lab
garage chemist
chemical wizard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-5-2011 at 11:06

I am getting a refrigeration solenoid valve. These are meant to be brazed in, are absolutely leakfree and made for high-pressure service (test pressure 60bar I think). No need to improvise when proper parts are available.

About cryocoolers: Rapp Instruments has sucessfully made a working model of a pulse-tube cryocooler, reaching -116°C with an air fill:
http://www.rapp-instruments.de/Hotcold/Kryo/Pulsetube/pulset...
and -180°C with a helium fill and a powerful compressor:
http://www.rapp-instruments.de/Hotcold/Kryo/HeKompressor/kom...
Oil separation from the compressor discharge gas is the main problem in operation, requiring multistage filtration and an activated carbon absorber as the last stage.

If I had an air liquefying cryocooler, flammability issues with the oxygen in the liquid would be the least of my worries.
It's a small price to pay, just like the flammability issue when charging a selfmade refrigeration system with propane instead of using a nonflammable halocarbon refrigerant.
And if you leave a small dewar of liquid air to slowly evaporate, the oxygen will not concetrate to above 50% anyway. Getting LOX of reasonable purity from liquid air requires fractionation through an efficient column.

www.versuchschemie.de
Das aktivste deutsche Chemieforum!
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 1-6-2011 at 07:57

Thanks for the link GC, that looks really interesting! And, being in German, I probably wouldn't have found it without.

I'm reading it through Google Translate. I'm getting the idea of it but the translator isn't doing a brilliant job.

[Edited on 1-6-2011 by peach]

garage chemist
chemical wizard

[*] posted on 1-6-2011 at 10:41

Ask me if you have questions.
Though the german description is far from sufficient to replicate this cryocooler- lack of detail. You'll have to buy the book that the author is selling.
The cooling power of such a device is very low (below 2W) and the energy consumption is substantial (the compressor pulls roughly 800W). Liquid air from this machine would be expensive.

I think that such a device is practically useless for chemistry lab use, and I see the chance of successfully making an air-liquefying cryocooler as practically zero.
If you're after dry-ice or even lower temperatures, your best option is either a real cascade (propane-ethylene-tetrafluoromethane-methane will liquefy pressurized nitrogen) or a mixed refrigerant autocascade. The latter is used in commercial ultra-low-temperature freezers, like ones for -150°C, and has the advantage that it uses only one compressor, and not too high pressures.
Look here:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=66842
The schematic has one small but important mistake, the oil separator must come before condensator 1.
A good refrigerant mix for starters is propane + CO2. This one reliably reaches -70 to -80°C.
More advanced combinations are propane + ethane + methane, and ones including tri- and tetrafluoromethane.
For cryogenic temperatures, the mix also includes a "ballast gas" like helium or neon.

www.versuchschemie.de
Das aktivste deutsche Chemieforum!
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
19-11-2023 at 16:35
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top