Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ethanol as a sensitizing fuel
holmes1880
dushbag

Mood: Egregious

[*] posted on 29-4-2011 at 15:42
Ethanol as a sensitizing fuel

Patent 4,093,478 on AN activation mentions in one of the tests that ethyl alcohol produced partial detonation of the 1kg charge with #6 blasting cap, but that it can have application in certain conditions. In that particular trial test, there was also NM in the mixture ~ 20%. I am planning on testing it with #8 cap in the original combination with NM and then by itself as the main charge (so, 7-8% for OB).

I find it alluring because of its lower toxicity, albeit it is 95% denatured, but still beats methanol or, God forbid, xylene.

Has anyone tested the mixture or found any references on its performance or lack there of? We know it is hygroscopic, so the composition has to be sealed immediately.
textex
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-4-2011 at 07:12

Ethylene glycol works good at a AN sensitizer, allthough less powerful than diesel. And the difference is just one oxygen atom, so i guess ethanol would be a pretty good sensitizer aswell. But i would have boosted it a bit in any case.

I detoned a almost OB AN-EG-AL with aprox 3% AL a few weeks ago, and with aprox 10grams of ETN as a booster i think the whole 1kg charge went pretty much high order.

[Edited on 30-4-2011 by textex]
holmes1880
dushbag

[*] posted on 30-4-2011 at 08:03

I want to circumvent the nasties- ethylene glycol being one of those. Ethanol is considered a clean fuel and while I can only get 90-95%, it is still "healthier" than other fuels to work with. Clean Strip Green denatured comes at 90%, I'd assume. Not ideal, but still best out of what I can get my little restless hands on.

[Edited on 30-4-2011 by holmes1880]
textex
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-4-2011 at 08:10

I guess ethanol is the best one then yeah. I guess you could make your own 100% ethanol with some kind of dehydrating agent and then distill it, but i guess 95% denatured should work aswell.
SB15
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-4-2011 at 10:32

Proppylene glycol may work approximately as well as ethylene glycol, and it is essentially non-toxic.
holmes1880
dushbag

[*] posted on 30-4-2011 at 11:55

Propylene glycol would fit the bill very well too. Unfortunately for me, finding it would be more challenging, since store employees are not familiarized with the chemical composition of the products and the labels often omit key ingredients- which is absurd, IMO. My online search, didn't produce any list of brands carried by local retailers. :(

It's all right, I already got 95% ethanol for a very reasonable $6/quart. Although, if you are aware of any retail brands, let me know because I like its properties.

[Edited on 30-4-2011 by holmes1880]
gnitseretni
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-4-2011 at 14:29

Propylene glycol is kind of expensive! It would make more sense to use it to make PGDN.

Go To Top