Author: Subject: run away nitrocellulose nitration
Thanatops1s
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-12-2014 at 17:02

Quote: Originally posted by The WiZard is In  

Their (Busty) Nitrocellulose expert in the episode on
exploding pants, had copious amounts of nitrogen oxides
pouring from the cylinder she was using. Luck was she - yes!
That it didn't inflame.

That episode was just on yesterday. I had never seen it before but as soon as she was about to put the pants into a gallon or so of non-cooled mixed acids, I'm thinking to myself, oh god, you're just asking for a runaway nitration. Sure enough, it happened fast and NOx fumes started pouring out. I couldn't believe they didn't learn about what they were doing more before doing that. In an earlier episode she made a little and basically just dipped it in the acids for a second. And of course was garbage NC. She lit some and it took multiple seconds and left a big pile of carbon behind.
caterpillar
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-12-2014 at 00:07

I had such runaway once. When I washed NC. I took pieces of NC from mixed acid and put them into water. I tried to crumple them quickly, but once not quickly enough. Temperature within one piece increased and I got runaway- bubbles of NOxes and residual carbon instead of white NC. But as for me, concentrated HNO3 is too valuable thing to waste it, preparing NC. It can be obtained without distillation- mixed acid can be prepared with the aid of reaction between H2SO4 and dry Ca(NO3)2. No distillation at all. Having conc HNO3, I'd better use it for preparation of nitramines.

Women are more perilous sometimes, than any hi explosive.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top