Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sensitive derivates from TNT
otonel
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-5-2011 at 08:59
Sensitive derivates from TNT

I read somewhere about sensitive TNT compound from reaction with NaOH or another hydroxides.
It is possible to make sensitive explosive from trinitrotoluene to use in detonators as primary explosive?
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 8-5-2011 at 09:48

Nope!
And if you ever prepare TNT, keep it well away from everything alkaline . . .

otonel
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 8-5-2011 at 11:21

I search on the internet about that and I find something but not enough for my research.I make copy/paste with some information, but I want more information about that explosive substance like what result from reaction of tnt with nitric acid and lead, who theoretically is good as priming explozive
"
Reactivities/Incompatibilities
TNT and potassium hydroxide in methanol will interact even at -65 deg C to give explosive acid-nitro salts (presumably o-quinonoid, or possibly Meisenheimer complexes). The explosion temperature is lowered to 160 deg C by the presence of a little potassium hydroxide.

Trinitrotoluene in contact with nitric acid and lead or iron produces explosive substances which may readily be ignited by shock, friction or contact with nitric or sulfuric acids. Such materials have been involved in industrial explosions.

Reacts vigorously with reducing agents

Strong oxidizers, ammonia, strong alkalis, combustible materials, heat [Note: Rapid heating will result in detonation].

During investigation of effect of 1% of added impurities on the thermal explosion temperature of TNT (197 deg C), it was found that fresh red lead, sodium carbonate and potassium hydroxide reduced the explosion temperatures to 192, 218, 192 deg C, respectively.

The formation of aci-quinonoid transient intermediates by electronic excitation has been identified spectroscopically. Proton abstractors (bases) such as sodium hydroxide, potassium iodide or tetramethylammonium octahydrotriborate induce deflagration in molten TNT.

During oxidation of TNT in sulfuric acid to trinitrobenzoic acid, starring of the viscous reaction mixture must be very effective to prevent added portions of solid dichromate causing local ignition."
aquaregia
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-5-2011 at 23:05
why not experiment

Otonel,
this is an interresting subject. Why not experiment with minute quantities of TNT? And I mean minutes (in the order of tenth's of gram), with proper PPE (personal protective equipment)?
Check the library for any information, but at he end of the day you might bring something to the community. Whatever result you find might make TNT synthesis a bit safer for the hobbyist?
In any case, when I managed to make TNT (a couple of grams) as Hissingnoise implied, I made sure I stuck to the rules as far as nitration is concerned in terms of chemicals purity and process as well as making sure my glass was very clean. Just remember that all too often, you can only be careless once with energetic materials... It is not forgiving. But I assume you are aware of all that anyway.:)
safety first.

Go To Top