Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: KNO3 Fertilizer
#maverick#
Hazard to Others

Mood: hybridised

[*] posted on 8-5-2011 at 19:06
KNO3 Fertilizer

what brand of fertilizer do you guys use with a high KN03 content i cant seem to find any maybe im not searching enough
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

[*] posted on 8-5-2011 at 19:34

Quote: Originally posted by #maverick#  
what brand of fertilizer do you guys use with a high KN03 content i cant seem to find any maybe im not searching enough

what your thinking of is npk fertilizer nitrogen phosphorous and potassium
15-0-0 npk rating ive used what are you planing to use it for.
#maverick#
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-5-2011 at 19:48

Well tbh. Some smoke bombs for paintball and also might use it make RFNA once my distillation set up comes in. Thanks for the quick answer
#maverick#
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-5-2011 at 19:53

I only need about a half a pound or a pound. And I'm not gonna blow money on reagent grade for something where purity isn't really a factor
Justin
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-5-2011 at 20:21

I've got some NaNO3 tech grade i'll let go of for cheap
Mumbles
Hazard to Others

Mood: Procrastinating

[*] posted on 8-5-2011 at 21:24

I've always liked Champion or Haifa brand.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-5-2011 at 03:54

Quote:
15-0-0 npk rating ive used

The potassium in the KNO3 would imply that the third number should be non-zero. Sounds more like calcium nitrate? Anyway you can't go just by the NPK numbers (except in rare cases) as many other compositions, e.g. a bag of mixed urea and sand, could give you the 15-0-0 NPK number.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 9-5-2011 at 04:30

A good rating for KNO3 fertilizer would be something like 12-0-42 to 13-0-44. A fertilizer with such a rating almost 100% sure is based on KNO3. The latter is nearly pure KNO3. The former also is rather pure KNO3, but it contains some other stuff. I myself have used rating N-P-K +Mg = 12-0-42 +4. This is somehwere between 90% and 95% pure KNO3, with MgO and probably some filler material in order to keep the material in the form of prills. I used this to make nice pure KNO3 by dissolving this material in boiling water (appr. 150 grams of fertilizer for 100 ml of water) and then quickly filtering the hot solution through a coffee filter. The resulting liquid is pale yellow and (almost) clear. This liquid is allowed to cool down at room temperature and finally it is cooled down further to around 0 degrees. The result is a lot of big crystals:

From 400 grams of fertilizer I could obtain almost 300 grams of pure KNO3 crystals. I also had a clear solution left, which probably contained a few tens of grams of dissolved KNO3, but I did not bother isolating that as well. I diluted that and used it as plant food in our garden.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-5-2011 at 04:50

Hi-Yield stump remover has potassium nitrate. unless it must be fertilizer.
#maverick#
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-5-2011 at 05:10

No it dnt have to be fertilizer. As long it's KNO3. I bought stump-out and quickly realized it isn't KNO3
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-5-2011 at 11:26

woelen how long do you leave your solution at zero temp? Hi-Yield has mostly KNO3 but does have impurities now.
#maverick#
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-5-2011 at 12:16

i found a fertilizer that is 29-0-3 i didnt buy because i am assuming since it has such a low K number most of the nitrogen is from other sources am i right
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-5-2011 at 12:22

@cyanureeves: I left my solution at low temperature overnight. But most of the crystals already had appeared after one day of standing at room temperature.

@maverick: Fertilizer with 29-0-3 most likely hardly contains any KNO3. I can imagine that this is mostly NH4NO3 with a little KNO3 as well. Over here we have fertilizer which is 27-0-0 and this is NH4NO3 with some dolomite mixed in. Read on more carefully on the label of the fertilizer. It certainly will tell in which form the nitrogen is present. If it indeed is mostly NH4NO3, then you can use that for making KNO3 as well, by mixing it with K2CO3 and boiling off the formed NH3.

#maverick#
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-5-2011 at 12:24

ahh, yea i cant find one fertilizer that even has that close to a rating ill try some gardening centers tomorrow
#maverick#
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-5-2011 at 12:25

o btw woelen i just wanted to let you know that your website is blocked at my school cuz apparently the dumb filter thinks it has articles on how to make bombs, gave me and my chem buddies a nice chuckle
#maverick#
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-5-2011 at 12:42

looked online on the websites of hardware stores around me the highest i could find is 24-0-12 are there any specific brands you guys purchase
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-5-2011 at 00:44

Asking for brands is not very useful, unless people from the same country as yours provide you with an answer. I do not even know the names of brands of fertilizer, I just look at the bag and see what N-P-K rating it has and read any further descriptions. I have the impression that where I buy fertilizer, that brands change every year. At least the bags look different each year.

--------------------------------------------

If my website is blocked at your school, just tell the responsible persons about that and have them look at the website personally. Then they can see that the site has nothing at all to do with bombing and that its main goal is to raise interest in science in general and chemistry in particular. Probably a chemistry teacher in the school can do better judging than some software-filter, which only scans on some words and thinks it is about bombing when it contains words like 'chlorate', 'nitrate', 'perchlorate'.

[Edited on 10-5-11 by woelen]

#maverick#
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-5-2011 at 04:37

Yes u are right woelen brands do probably change. I will go to more stores and if I can't find I'll just buy from Justin.
smuv
National Hazard

Mood: Jingoistic

[*] posted on 10-5-2011 at 04:54

If you are after NaNO3, I have seen that at the hardware store as nitrate of soda; it was sold in 4 pound bags made by bonide.

http://www.mastergardening.com/too-2023.html (pic)

Also, for stump remover: Grants, Spectricide and green light are the ones that contain KNO3. You probably bought bonide brand (which is sodium metabisulfite).

All this is for the US, but something tells me you are american

"Titanium tetrachloride…You sly temptress." --Walter Bishop
#maverick#
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-5-2011 at 08:15

^ your assumption is right and yes i did buy the bonide brand and metbisulfate can be useful too
#maverick#
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-5-2011 at 18:44

Bought some stump remover that clearly says contains kno3. So to extract I heat water and dissolve the kno3. And the let stand till room temp. Filter any impurities then cool to 0C to crystallize the kno3 right
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 11-5-2011 at 20:02

Love KNO3 crystals! So nice and easy to make

Yeah just dissolve it all in boiling water, hot filter, let cool, then put in the freezer for a while. Make sure they didn't put any plant poison in it

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
#maverick#
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-5-2011 at 20:40

for sure and yea kno3 crystals look amazing
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-5-2011 at 16:39

i just made potassium and sodium nitrate crystals. both formed crystals the same day upon cooling however the sodium nitrate i made with sodium bicarbonate and ammonium nitrate did not salt out as much as the Hi-Yield stump remover and both were about the same in weight. i put both remaining solutions in the freezer and got a little more precipitate but still not as much as i expected from the sodium nitrate, as i remembered the weight when i first made it. i heated this remaining sodium nitrate solution to almost total evaporation, when it cooled down no salt appeared but as soon as i swirled it around, it all turned to a solid.i know this white solid has alot of sodium nitrate but how would i go about making crystals?i'm not even gonna bother with the potassium nitrate solution since i got most of the nitrate back in needle crystals. gorgeous crystals! these are keepers.
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 13-5-2011 at 17:18

If you look at the solubility cure you will get most of the KNO3 with one crystallization. For NaNO3 you need to boil it down several times to get several batches. If the surface starts to get scummy its gone too far. Just add boiling water again and do it over.

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top