Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Poll: The rights of individuals to buy chemicals.
Strongly Agree --- 116 (66.67%)
Moderately Agree --- 46 (26.44%)
Neither Agree Nor Disagree --- 3 (1.72%)
Moderately Disagree --- 7 (4.02%)
Strongly Disagree --- 2 (1.15%)

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: The rights of individuals to buy chemicals.
Layvian
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-5-2012 at 10:45

In my opinion is that it is not ok to take those rights away. However, I think just allowing anyone to obtain whatever resource they need could be dangerous(Obviously).

There are two problems here:

1: You have safty aware individuals who know the precautions that need to be taken, and need or want access to certain chemicals.

and finally;

2: You have the immature joy rider, who skips into the incomming traffic that is chemisty(aka: Unsafe Dabblers).

What I would say is rather then allowing every chemical to be avaliable without a license to "purchase" them, rather there are readily avaliable complexes that are avaliable that we already use everyday. If someone is experienced enough with chemisty, it doesn't matter what someone labels something as, they are able to procure the chemical they need.

Does this take a lot of time and refining and sometimes money? Yes, however the equaliant for someone who is not well educated in chemistry would be easily put off by the tedious nature of trying to refine a chemical to the desired form.

I guess what I am trying to say is; Yes, it would suck not being able to "purchase" the chemicals, but if there is a will there is a way. That is the nice thing about knowing chemistry.

[Edited on 3-5-2012 by Layvian]
Migratory
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-5-2012 at 18:08

I think we can all agree that nuclear materials need to be regulated. However, I get the impression that this thread is aimed more at conventional chemicals.

Consider the DEA's list of restricted or monitored chemicals on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEA_list_of_chemicals

List one does not worry me overmuch. While elemental Iodine or Phosphorus don't seem worthy of restriction, they are not required for too many experiments and a good chemist can make them if necessary. So while I think some items on list one are unwarranted and aught to be removed, I don't see it as a direct threat to home chemistry.

List two contains much more basic chemicals, like acetone and hydrochloric and sulfuric acid. While these chemicals are not regulated so closely as the chemicals on list one, it is concerning to me that the DEA considers use of such basic chemicals, which can be used for an immeasurably broad range of science, to be suspicious.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top