Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Sodium methoxyde by electrolysis?
Dave Angel
Hazard to Others

Mood: 0 K

[*] posted on 24-3-2005 at 16:33
Re: Sodium acetate in methanol

Today I have been electrolysing a saturated solution of sodium acetate in methanol. I used a computer PSU's 5.5 V line which managed to get a current of between 300 and 400 mA flowing, the current increasing as the electrolysis proceeded. I didn't use a salt bridge for this - it was done in a single pyrex bowl with the cathode (copper) and the anode (graphite) as close together as possible. The 'apparatus' was lightly covered in clingfilm to limit evaporative losses of the alcohol although ingress of moisture wasn't prevented with this set up. The current was passed and plenty of bubbling was observed on the cathode, much less so at the anode as it's quite a hunk of graphite (a crucible) with large surface area.

After ca. 4 hours I came back to the set up and found that there was a good deal of white precipitate in the bowl, with no appreciable difference in level of methanol. This could of course be due to displacement of the remaining methanol by the precipitate as it forms... or something else. So, I added some straight methanol to the bowl and dissolved up most of the precipitate, allowing the solution to remain saturated. Checking the pH of the initial solution against this with universal indicator solution showed that the solution which had undergone electrolysis had a higher pH than it started off with.

Another 5 hours or so and yet more precipitate! The solution was filtered and pH of both filtrate and a saturated solution of the precipitate in methanol were checked, although the precipitate was still quite wet and the tests both gave a similar result to the previous one - both solutions had higher pHs than saturated sodium acetate solution, so some more accurate work is needed.

I hope that Tacho is right and that NaOMe is being produced! :)

What's next? I'm building a new set of electrodes which will be separated by 2-3 mm. The set up will likely a 2L 3-neck rb flask fitted with a condenser and drying tube, the electrodes and a stopper in the final neck. Stirring is probably a good idea to prevent build up of precipitate in any one place, especially around the electrodes and one could even heat the flask if desired.

With any luck, fractional crystallisation could be used to separate the product(s) from the acetate.

I also should note that initial tests using a copper anode produced less than satisfactory results. Whilst there is a build up of blackness on the cathode over time which does not affect operation, a copper anode quickly becomes covered in a green layer which prevents any current flowing. Graphite seems to be doing a good job for now.
a123x
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-5-2005 at 21:42

Sodium amalgam to make sodium methoxide. I recently read that sodium amalgam can be produced by electrolyzing a solution of sodium chloride, sodium hydroxide, and I would assume sodium acetate with a mercury cathode. Rather than release hydrogen, it forms the amalgam. I figure that this might allow for rather convenient production of sodium alkoxides by simply electrolyzing a solution of sodium acetate in an anhydrous alcohol using a mercury cathode. This will form the amalgam which, when the current is stopped, will react with the alcohol to form the alkoxide. Thus, with a small amount of mercury, one could make very large amounts of sodium methoxide since the mercury is recycleable in the process. Too bad mercury is toxic(although I imagine it shouldn't contaminate the methoxide much). I know molten gallium and liquid gallium/indium/tin alloys can dissolve aluminum to make a substance similar to aluminum amalgam and should be able to dissolve sodium but the thing I wonder is whether gallium can be used as a cathode to form such an alloy starting with a solution of sodium salt. I realize that gallium is fairly pricy but only a small amount is needed and I tend to prefer pricy to toxic, even if the toxicity is generally exagerated.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 1-6-2005 at 07:20

A decent idea that has been discussed before, the major hurdle being that the solid amalgam formed only contains a few precent of sodium and therefore this process would have to be repeated many times before any major results were obtained, not to mention drying the amalgam before reacting with methanol otherwise adhering water would decompose the methoxide and additionally it takes some time for these alloys to react entirely with methanol.
a123x
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 11-6-2005 at 22:06

I was actually thinking along the lines of making the sodium amalgam in a methanol solution and then just stopping the current to allow it to react.

Also, one of the main uses for methoxides is in nucleophillic substitutions with halogen groups on aromatic rings. So, I had a thought. Rather than make a duel chamber electrolytic cell with a salt bridge to use in making methoxide directly by an electric current(as opposed to the indirect method of making the amalgam and reacting with methanol), why not have a single chamber which results in the methoxide being reacted before it can reach the anode and be oxidized. For example, have a cell containing sodium acetate in methanol and also bromovanillin/bromoanisaldehyde/some other bromoaromatic dissolved in the methanol. Include a bit of copper powder as the catalyst. It'll need to be heated to fairly high temperatures as well and have a reflux condensor. The methoxide is formed at the cathode and reacts with the bromoaromatic rather than being oxidized at the anode. I assume that some will reach the anode and some will react with the bromoaromatic to form NaBr(which I'm guessing is insoluble in methanol, if it is soluble than there are issues with Br2 forming). If NaBr is soluble then a duel chamber cell might be used with one containing a bromoaromatic and the other containing the initial aromatic which will react with bromine formed to give the bromoaromatic. I figure if built properly it would ultimately give a low maintanence cell which would need little more than a fresh supply of methanol, aromatic, and electricity to produce methoxylated aromatics.

Now, I'm sure there's something wrong with this idea so feel free to let me know what it is.
jarynth
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 4-9-2008 at 16:48

After reading the thread about Na production by Castner cell, I succeeded in electrolyzing NaOH with a Ni welding electrode as the anode. The main obstacle that remains is the removal of liquid Na above the cathode during the process. Instead, the Na/NaOH solution was simply allowed to solidify. The presence of sodium metal was confirmed by the observation of small yellow burning and fuming beads on contact with water.

Now, the analogous reaction with anhydrous MeOH (or EtOH, etc) would yield NaOEt (which dissolves) contaminated with NaOH (less soluble in the anhydous alcohol).

This procedure involves one simple electrolysis step, anhydrous alcohol and a means to separate NaOH and the alkoxide from the alcohol, thus should prove no harder than the alternatives presented above. The question remains, how to separate the sodium compounds and store the purified alkoxide.

@a123x: what happens at the cathode is always nice and smooth, but to skip an accurate analysis of the anodic processes would be unforgivable. With halogenated benzenes you'd get biphenyls and whatnot at the cathode: polymeric mess. Plus, methoxylations are more successfully carried out in weakly ionizing solvents, so you'd get only a tiny current flowing. Most importantly, the NaOAc is a weak base and will probably cleave the halogen before you even reach reflux (but we'll need an expert opinion on this). The number of electrolysis products increases exponentially with the number of species in your flask. The reaction won't be as clean as you purport.

[Edited on 4-9-2008 by jarynth]

[Edited on 4-9-2008 by jarynth]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top