Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Alternative to Nitric acid /research
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 18-5-2011 at 08:10

The beaker tath have frosted is now like a beaker with plaster in....
''If you eat it or rub it on your skin, sure. But frankly almost every other compound you're working with (H2SO4, HOCl, Ca(OCl)2, to say nothing of Cl2O) is more dangerous.''
Ok ok i understan , i will try with oxalic....
''That label is amusing: "Ca(OCl)2 + impurities ".
yes i think it is funny but it is honnest that they wrigth it....

Today i will try to disolve all of the reactan and i will try with oxalic an citric acid to make 10% sol , if it work i will make more concentred sol.

[Edited on 18-5-2011 by plante1999]

I never asked for this.
plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-5-2011 at 08:39

Sorry for the double post.

I think that HClO3 can also be an good substitute for nitric , i already made it at arround 15% sol with very high yield. I will remade chlorate and after i will post picture and synthesis , this synthesis is prety cool to do altough it is only a routine synthesis.

short of the report i will made:
disolve 0.9g of Oxalic acid in 10ml H2O a beaker.
disolve 2.45g of KClO3 in 10 ml of HOT H2O.
ad the first sol to the second.
lets sit 12 hour and take a pipet to get the 15% sol in an amber vial.

in one month at 10 degree Celcius no visible decomposition is occured.

I never asked for this.
plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-5-2011 at 14:42

Now after multiple test i can said that it is almost impossible to use Calcium hypochlorite as source of hypochlorite ion. i am making chlorate at this time (calcium hypochlorite decomposition) to make an report for HClO3.

I never asked for this.
Neil
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-5-2011 at 15:10

Plante, Why not rely on the reaction products being formed just before the addition of the metal you wish to dissolve?

Many maybe most of the solutions used to dissolve PGM and related metals, decompose and do not have great storage life.

If your goal is to create a cheap alternative to nitric, it seems you already have what you are after.

Rather then trying to make a somewhat stable solution of a dangerous substance, why not keep the very stable and slightly safer ingredients separated and only mix them up immediately before they are needed?

On a side note, have you tested these solutions on a metal yet?
plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-5-2011 at 15:24

I have tested 5% sol of HOCl (made with NaOCl) on copper and it work.
ive also tested HClO3 15% on copper and it work briantly , at this time i am waiting for my chlorate to be finish so i can make an report for synthesis of 30% sol.

''Plante, Why not rely on the reaction products being formed just before the addition of the metal you wish to dissolve?''

because all acid need to be purified , at this Time HClO3 seam to be te best , but if i found solid lithium hypochlorite i will re-try HOCl , but at 25-30%

does anyone have worked with paracetic acid?

[Edited on 18-5-2011 by plante1999]

I never asked for this.
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 18-5-2011 at 20:46

With respect to Copper in a NH4OH solution. I have a observed a slightly different reaction when using air versus a closed chamber with NH4OH/H2O2 and copper. One would expect using a O2 rich environment to be more efficient, but not observed.

My guess is that the reaction is not moving forward as expected because the active catalyst is perhaps CO2 (or something else, like bacteria), present in the air that gets dissolved into the solution. The formation of a copper carbonate complex (or nitrite from bacterial oxidation of the NH3), my personal speculation, may be involved in moving the reaction!
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 18-5-2011 at 20:49

With respect to Copper in a NH4OH solution. I have a observed a slightly different reaction when using air versus a closed chamber with NH4OH/H2O2 and copper. One would expect using a O2 rich environment to be more efficient, but not observed.

My guess is that the reaction is not moving forward as expected because the active catalyst is perhaps CO2 (or something else, like bacteria), present in the air that gets dissolved into the solution. The formation of a copper carbonate complex (or nitrite from bacterial oxidation of the NH3), my personal speculation, may be involved in moving the reaction!
Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-5-2011 at 21:04

If you find a bacterial that can survive in three powerfull anti bacterial agents all mixed together, You should certainly bring it to someones attention.

Doesn't H2O2 break down ammonia? if your solution with H2O2 and ammonia went slower, it seems plausible that it was because you were destroying the ammonia.
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 19-5-2011 at 06:32

I just came across one of my notes, which I believe came from a Google online book that dealt with mining metals. The note was that CuO dissolves in NH4OH in the presence of a few drops of acid or ammonium carbonate! This is apparently performed on a big scale to recover copper.

As such, it may be the CO2 in air that reacts with NH4OH forming some ammonium carbonate that is the catalysis for the reaction to dissolve the copper which has been oxidized by O2.

Now, as to why it is best to have the copper half out of the solution, I would guess that the copper wire serves as a condensation point for dew. These drops of dew are, in effect, mini-drops of H2CO3, or anything else that is in your local acid rain. The copper wire then directs the acid directly into the solution, only in small quantities of course, but enough to be the reaction catalyst.

If I am correct, a solution of NH3, H2O2 and a little carbonated water in a close vessel (periodically refreshed) should more quickly dissolve the copper.
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 19-5-2011 at 10:14

OK, two points.

1. You cannot (and do not need) a strong mineral acid (like H2SO4) to add to Ca(OCl)2 if it is derived from bleaching powder where the "impurities" might include CaCl2. xH2O (a Calcium Chloride Hydrate). Why? Adding H2SO4 to CaCl2 creates HCl:

CaCl2 + H2SO4 = CaSO4 + 2 HCl

As the HCl reacts with the created HClO from:

Ca(OCl)2 + H2SO4 = 2 HClO + CaSO4

to liberate Chlorine from the breakdown of HClO with HCl:

HCl + HClO = Cl2 + H2O

A weak acid is preferred since even in the presence of a chloride, no HCl will be created and hence, no Cl2 liberated!

2. HClO dissolves Copper and produces an oxy-chloride, 3 Cu(OH)2.CuCl2 (and not just CuCl2 as you might expect. Note, similar oxy-chlorides and even oxy-nitrates are seen with Lead). Copper(II) oxygen chloride is quoted as being one of the most importance copper salts in the industry (in fungicides, adhesive & dispersive agents and fillers per the "Concise Encyclopedia of Chemistry" by DeGruyter).

6 Cu +6 HClO = 3 Cu(OH)2.CuCl2
plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-5-2011 at 16:06

Does you think i dont have think to this ? I have calutated the molar mass of my reactan an product in fonction of 65%Calcium hypochlorite and 25 CaCl2.

For the last par you probably have reason.

My chlorate will be finished tommorow.....

Where i can get lithium hypochlorite (pur) or lithium compound ? OTC please.

[Edited on 20-5-2011 by plante1999]

I never asked for this.
Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-5-2011 at 18:56

iodine/bromine free pool sterilizing supplies.
plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-8-2011 at 04:41

Here the first par for a substitute to nitric acid , a second part will be made for pur bromic acid , like many of my video there is many mistake.

<iframe sandbox width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XlCPh17rVFc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[Edited on 15-8-2011 by plante1999]

[Edited on 15-8-2011 by plante1999]

I never asked for this.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top