Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Acetone and Alkali Metals
redox
Hazard to Others

Mood: Chalcogenetic

[*] posted on 30-5-2011 at 17:31
Acetone and Alkali Metals

If this topic has all ready been discussed, please forgive my ignorance.

Hello,
Recently, I was experimenting with my alkali metals (specifically lithium), and I decided to drop a wad of lithium into acetone. A vigorous reaction ensued, and an orange compound manifested itself on my precious lithium. :o I have researched this reaction and I could not find a reference to it.

What could be happening? Would this orange substance be an exceptionally strong base (on account of acetone's extremely low acidity)? What is the name of this compound?

Thanks.

[Edited on 31-5-2011 by redox]

My quite small but growing Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/RealChemLabs

Newest video: Synthesis of Chloroform

The difference between chemists and chemical engineers: Chemists use test tubes, chemical engineers use buckets.
UKnowNotWatUDo
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-5-2011 at 18:37

There are three possibilities. One: the lithium reduced the acetone forming lithium isopropoxide. But seeing as that compound is white (IIRC) I doubt it. Two: the lithium removed an alpha-hydrogen forming hydrogen gas and the lithium salt of acetone enolate. But I think that is also white, not orange. Three: the lithium reacted with some impurities in the acetone.
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 30-5-2011 at 18:58

I would think your seeing latent water leading to a base catalyzed Aldol reaction forming a brown polymer film on the surface of the lithium.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
redox
Hazard to Others

Mood: Chalcogenetic

[*] posted on 31-5-2011 at 03:23

The presence of latent water is very likely, as my acetone was hardware-store grade.

I asked my father (the organic chemist) and he said there was a possibility that the reaction formed lithium acetonate. Looking at the structure of the acetonate ion, it seems it is just acetone enolate with another methyl ketone group on one of the hydrogens.
Sedit, maybe the polymer was a chain of acetone enolates with more methyl ketone groups, making a polymer of structure = [CH(Li)CO]n

Is the formation of lithium acetonate a possiblity?

[Edited on 31-5-2011 by redox]

My quite small but growing Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/RealChemLabs

Newest video: Synthesis of Chloroform

The difference between chemists and chemical engineers: Chemists use test tubes, chemical engineers use buckets.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 31-5-2011 at 03:40

I have done this experiment as well, using sodium instead of lithium. I used distilled acetone of high purity, although still some water might have been in the acetone. The reaction was vigorous but not violent. All of the sodium dissolved and I obtained a yellow/brown insoluble slurry in the acetone.

I am inclined to think that the acetone molecules simply are broken into pieces and that these rearrange to form some insoluble polymeric compound of ill-defined composition.

A similar experience I had with adding conc. H2SO4 to pure acetone. Immediately after adding the acid and swirling well, the liquid is colorless, but it slowly turns yellow, orange, red, red/brown and finally almost black. The liquid also turned more viscous. This reaction takes many hours. Again, I think that acetone molecules are broken down somewhat and some polymeric species is formed and with increasing molecular size the color of this species intensified.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 31-5-2011 at 04:04

I think that aldol type condensations occur to form polymeric species.
I doubt that the carbon skeleton of the acetone is broken down.
You can get useful materilas by controlled condensation of acetone eg mesitylene;

http://orgsyn.org/orgsyn/pdfs/CV1P0341.pdf
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 31-5-2011 at 07:46

Ketones react with alkali and alkaline earth metals to give the corresponding pinacol alcohols (upon neutralization). The reaction is called the Pinacol coupling and usually employs Mg or Li metals, but Na, Ca and even Zn, Mn and SmI2 can do the job (can also be done even with non-metallic reducing reagents - see the thread on thiourea dioxide, as well as electrochemically or photochemically). The diastereoselectivity (when using non-symmetrically substituted ketones, e.g. acetophenone) depends strongly on the metal used.
Using acetone as the solvent as well as the reactant is not very wise as the alkali pinacolates are strong bases and cause the self-condensation of excess acetone. Stoichiometric quantities of the ketone in an inert solvent like THF or toluene should give a cleaner reaction.

See:
http://www.organic-chemistry.org/namedreactions/pinacol-coup...
J. Otera: Modern carbonyl chemistry (chapter 3, googlebooks preview shows it)
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/chemistry/groups/synth-lit/NR/200...

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
kmno4
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-5-2011 at 22:55

Quote: Originally posted by redox  

(...)Would this orange substance be an exceptionally strong base (on account of acetone's extremely low acidity)?

Acetone, as ketone, is very weak C-acid but acidity of its enol form is much larger.
There are series of articles in American Chemical Journal by Paul C. Freer about action of sodium on acetone (the first article can be found in volume 12 from 1890 year :o).
Acetone in Et2O + Na gives off H2. Product of reaction is white powder sensitive to air (white->yellow->orange->red->brown) and it regenerates acetone during acidification.
However it is hard to say what is exact composition of this "powder" ;)

[Edited on 1-6-2011 by kmno4]
asilentbob
Harmless

Mood: *sigh*

[*] posted on 8-6-2011 at 22:54

woelen, I have done similar, although using hardware store purity acetone...

The solution darkened considerably for a long time, then I distilled the solution with a simple retort. The result was a very strongly "petrochemical smelling" liquid whose color I can't remember. Very oil/gasoline smelling. I was originally going for mesitylene. I imagine that I got that and several other petrochemicals.

So many ideas... too few dealing with chemistry.
neodymiumsulfate
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-7-2013 at 03:28
Preparation of acetone ketyl

I tried to synthesize acetone ketyl at home by adding sodium metal to 99+% acetone. Acetone has no water in it. When I drop the sodium in, it starts bubbling, a white precipitate appears (NaOH I think - i can dissolve it in water and gives aldol condensation with acetone), and it turns red/brown. It schould turn blue. I tried to remove the oxide layer from sodium, but with the same result, as before.
Did this anyone succesfully?

(sorry if I have fails in the text, I dont speak english very well)
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 12-7-2013 at 04:17

Welcome to the forum.
Whenever you claim something extraordinary, like a non-transient existence of acetone-ketyl, it is expected you provide a supporting reference. Please read the forum guidelines for more information.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
neodymiumsulfate
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-9-2013 at 08:13
Acetone + sodium

Hi everyone!
I have some sodium (99.9%+) and acetone (99.0%+), and i wanted to reduce the acetone to isopropanol. As i know, Na and acetone shouldn´t react, but my acetone reacts with sodium - releases H2 gas and white precipitate forms - NaOH, i think and the liquid turns orange. After adding some water, the precipitate dissolves. Then I added some HCl to neutralise the solution. The result was an acidic, ced liquid.
What could happen?
My fist tip was, that the sodium reduces the acetone to sodium isopropoxide (i added HCl to form isopropanol)
Second tip: a friend of mine told, that acetone and sodium react together and form acetone ketyl (blue) but whitout bubbling - so it can´t be acetone ketyl
Acetone has no water in it.
Sorry, my english isn´t the best :D
1st picture: after adding Na metal - orange solution and some white precipitate
2nd picture: after adding water - relatively clear solution
3rd picture: after adding excess HCL - red solution

2013-09-03 17.41.31.jpg - 133kB2013-09-03 17.42.50.jpg - 129kB2013-09-03 17.45.57.jpg - 149kB
Dany
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-9-2013 at 08:29

Existing thread:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=16568

see the comment there.

Dany.

[Edited on 3-9-2013 by Dany]
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 3-9-2013 at 08:31

My only guess as to the red color is aldol condensation products. I observed the same color in a reaction where I had acetone and HCl.

Also, crossposting is generally frowned upon; please use your original thread.
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=25065

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 3-9-2013 at 08:57

<strong><a href="viewthread.php?tid=3960">TEMPO substitute?</a></strong>

[merged 3 topics]

[Edited on 3.9.13 by bfesser]

bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Threads Merged
3-9-2013 at 09:03
andy
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-11-2013 at 17:24
Acetone and NaOH, red colour

Hi
I've mixed acetone and NaOH in a water bath at 40degrees, after about 12 hours it has turned red, I was wondering what the red chemical is.

Thanks
bismuthate
National Hazard

Mood: self reacting

[*] posted on 15-11-2013 at 18:28

How pure was your acetone? Also don't just randomly mix chemicals, it's dangerous. (if you weren't; my apologies I meant no offense)

I'm not a liar, I'm just an enthusiastic celebrant of opposite day.
I post pictures of chemistry on instagram as bismuthate. http://iconosquare.com/bismuthate
or this viewer if you don't have an instagram (it sucks though) http://web.stagram.com/n/bismuthate
andy
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-11-2013 at 18:50

It was brought at a hardware store, it should be close to 99% it fumes at room temperature easy enough.

I'm trying to make mesityl oxide for biodiesel, searching with word like acetone/methyl/oxide/hydroxide/sodium hasn't turned up a chemical that is a red color.

Thanks
gravityzero
Hazard to Self

Mood: forgetful

shocked.gif posted on 15-11-2013 at 19:01

it fumes at room temperature?!? What does? I guess you could maybe see the fumes of Acetone if you caught it against the lights just right. It would be the same as saying you saw gas fumes.
I've just never heard it described that way; not the same as saying "fuming nitric acid", now that noticeably fumes.

Any who, If you just mixed acetone and Lye, I don't think much would happen. Could be that impurities in the lye caused the discoloration.

I have heard of people using this type of mixture to clean glassware.
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 15-11-2013 at 19:08

No, they use isopropanol and sodium (or potassium) hydroxide. Mixing acetone and sodium hydroxide causes aldol condensation and polymerized gunk, which is probably the red stuff.

A related red color was observed when sodium metal was added to acetone:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=16568

On a related note, I observed a red-orange color when I was trying to make chloroacetone by electrolysis of a mixture of acetone and hydrochloric acid. I think this was due to acid-catalyzed aldol condensation.

[Edited on 16-11-2013 by Cheddite Cheese]

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
Waffles SS
Fighter

[*] posted on 15-11-2013 at 20:31

Acetone (CH3COCH3) undergoes aldol condensation when treated with dilute NaOH to form 4-hydroxy-4-methylpent-2-one [CH3 - COH(CH3)-CH2-CO-CH3]

CH3-CO-CH3 + CH3-CO-CH3 → CH3 - COH(CH3)-CH2-CO-CH3
andy
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-11-2013 at 21:07

Thanks
Read up on diacetone alochol at www.orgsyn.org if I add iodine it will form mesityl oxide, but isn't diacetone clear?
Would BaOH make a more pure form than NaOH?

The NaOH was >60% ,it might have had some crap with it....

What would be the reaction from diacetone and ethanol, it makes a white crystal.

Could the substance that is produced be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_vinyl_ketone

Cheers

[Edited on 16-11-2013 by andy]

[Edited on 16-11-2013 by andy]
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Threads Merged
16-11-2013 at 05:18
andy
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-11-2013 at 23:17

I've tried google, but couldn't find what the reaction between MIBK and sodium or sodium hydroxide would be. A biodiesel forum say you can use it to make biodiesel , but doesn't say what the products would be.

If there's in links or a book to read would be helpful

Vanta
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-7-2016 at 05:17
Acetone + lithium

I got the same reaction.
I added small bits of lithium metal, slightly contaminated with the nitride and hydroxide, to solvent grade acetone.
The reaction was not at all vigorous. Maybe the water content is very low.

Interestingly, the lithium first turned shiny gold.
My first slightly educated guess was solvated electrons.

The pieces of lithium are dissolving/reacting away.
An orange solution and precipitate is formed.
There is goo where the lithium used to be, looks like a polymer.
There is also still some lithium with the goo around it.

I wanted to make a carbon carbon bond, making pinacol from acetone.
I will try to see if the precipitate and goo will dissolve in water, once I think most of the lithium is gone.
I think it will dissolve, as I already tried this on a larger scale.

(This is my first post, so bear with me.)

Golden Lithium.jpg - 415kB
Vanta
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-7-2016 at 06:31

The precipitate does indeed dissolve in water, as does the goo.
Solution is a very nice clear yellow-orange.
There is a strong pungent but sweet smell. Also kinda fruity.

The flask seemed to heat up when the water was added, slowly at first, didn't want any leftover lithium create enough heat to start excess acetone combustion.
So it seems either the dissolving was exothermic, or there was a chemical reaction, maybe the polymer didn't dissolve but was exothemically destroyed by the water.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top