Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ag Ds acidity
prometheus1970
Hazard to Others

Mood: happy/ inquisitively eager

sad.gif posted on 3-6-2011 at 21:13
Ag Ds acidity

I recently made a batch of Ag2C2/AgNO3 Ds and I made sure that conditions were acidic. Then I rinsed it with dH2O, acetone, but now dry it still reeks of HNO3. I'm wondering if, since it's a salt rather than an ester or amine, it will be okay like this. I certainly don't need a wicked primary like that decomposing and spontaneously detonating on me. Will it be okay, or do I need to wash it more/ neutralize it? I thank you for your assistance in this matter.

[Edited on 6-4-2011 by prometheus1970]

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.
prometheus1970
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-6-2011 at 21:17

Please forgive me if this a retarded question.

KemiRockarFett
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-6-2011 at 00:48

Quote: Originally posted by prometheus1970  
I recently made a batch of Ag2C2/AgNO3 Ds and I made sure that conditions were acidic. Then I rinsed it with dH2O, acetone, but now dry it still reeks of HNO3. I'm wondering if, since it's a salt rather than an ester or amine, it will be okay like this. I certainly don't need a wicked primary like that decomposing and spontaneously detonating on me. Will it be okay, or do I need to wash it more/ neutralize it? I thank you for your assistance in this matter.

If you have measured pH on a silversalt ( aq) you will notice the solutions, often have a low pH, this is due to the Ag+ ion. But since the DS is almost unsolouble you probably have to wait until all nitric acid have evaporated as its probably that you are measure on right now. Low patience?

Salt or not, the covalent character of the interaction between the silver and nitrate/carbide is probably significant. It you mean salt as ionic compounds.

If you have this kind of questions please do not attempt to set of any type of expl device.
prometheus1970
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-6-2011 at 17:04

While I appreciate your reply, I found it sanctimonious and unhelpful. You evaded answering my question while implying that I'm unqualified to engage in the hobby of energetics. I agree I'm not wholly qualified, which is why I frequent this forum. I feel I know enough to recognize where my limitations are. I do thank you for taking the time to reply to my post, though.

[Edited on 6-5-2011 by prometheus1970]

prometheus1970
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-6-2011 at 17:08

I probably should have avoided terms like "salt" and, "ester/amine", I'm a bit out of my element (so to speak). What I mean to say is that, intuitively, it makes sense that something like erythritol tetranitrate would have to be completely neutralized because the erythritol is a very complex organic molecule which will continue to be acted upon by the HNO3 held within its crystals, whereas the Ag ds is much simpler and less likely to be degraded continually while in the presence of nitric acid. At least that is how it seems to me, based on my admittedly limited knowledge. Also, I have not measured the pH, I just said, "it reeks of HNO3" referring to the smell of it.

hiperion42
Hazard to Self

Mood: overwhelmed

[*] posted on 5-6-2011 at 11:51

Quote: Originally posted by KemiRockarFett  

But since the DS is almost unsolouble you probably have to wait until all nitric acid have evaporated as its probably that you are measure on right now.

It wouldn't hurt you studying some basic English grammar and
sentence building before giving others precious advice.

.....ejuu....................................................................Ffg..............................g.............
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 6-6-2011 at 04:23

Probably depends with what acid you made your media acidic...

I would never think of trying to evaporate the HNO3 from the salt... whatfor?

By the way I have always made the neutral process AgNO3, distillated/demi water and C2H2, correct washing of the precipitate with distillated/demi water, slow drying in the dark... I got white to moderately creamy precipitate that remains stable and operational for years (in plastic PE film canishers).

It is the more powerfull of the 3 variants (basic, neutral or acidic process) and also the less troublesome...

[Edited on 6-6-2011 by PHILOU Zrealone]

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
prometheus1970
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-6-2011 at 04:47

I made the soln. acidic with HNO3. I wasn't really considering evaporating HNO3 from the salt, but further rinsing with dH20, isopropanol, acetone. I like the isopropanol/acetone because they're cheap and evaporate quickly, leaving my product ready to use without having to wait for 3 days(I live in a fairly humid climate). By the way, thanks PHIL for a straight answer free of sanctimony.

[Edited on 6-7-2011 by prometheus1970]

Go To Top