Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8
Author: Subject: ETN: almost killed myself... READ!
holmes1880
dushbag

Mood: Egregious

[*] posted on 8-7-2011 at 01:38

Quote: Originally posted by AndersHoveland  

But back to the topic, supposedly nitrate esters, such as ETN, become more sensitive over time (or in direct sunlight) as traces of nitrogen dioxide develop, with the liquid developing a yellowish tinge. Another thing to consider is that if a plastic container containing ETN falls over, it is likely to agitate the liquid enough to mix it with air and form microbubbles that can severely sensitize the compound.

ETN under water/isopropyl is about as sensitive as water. Whatever the storage method, with proper deacidification and recrystallization, product will stay white for months, kept in a dark cool place.
holmes1880
dushbag

Mood: Egregious

[*] posted on 9-7-2011 at 21:11

I took everyone's advice and got rid of all my ETN. I did that by making 1g non-primary electric detonator, than took my 13g of ETN designated for blasting caps and mixed that with 7g Vaseline and then nicely KABOOMED it 5 feet underwater. Probably should have done it on 4th of July in the open, but everyone has 20/20 hindsight. :P

65/35 ETN is still sensitive to #8 blasting cap. It's a k3wl C4, if you may.

The time is not enough.
caterpillar
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-1-2012 at 05:49

Once I was at nearly killed by myself. Looking back (it was many years ago) I cannot understand how one may by so stupid. It was a small charge (200 gr AN + nitronaphtalene) . I made a hole in that charge and put mercury fulminate into it (it was the monent when my live was hanging by a thread- I made no separated blusting cap, but used powdered primary explosive instead). Finally I put above paper with salpeter and ignited it. Problem was, of course, caused by sparkles, flying in any directions from burning paper. I was one meter from my charge, when it exploded. I didn't loose my mind and remember flying grass (actually it was me, who flyed above it) I felt no pain and was able to get to home with my byke. At that evening I was in hospital. I did not know why, but I hardly was able to walk for few days after this acident.

Women are more perilous sometimes, than any hi explosive.
Adas
National Hazard

Mood: Sensitive to shock and friction

[*] posted on 8-1-2012 at 06:00

Quote: Originally posted by caterpillar  
I did not know why, but I hardly was able to walk for few days after this acident.

This was probably caused by extreme stress levels you were exposed to.

Rest In Pieces!
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

Mood: Torn between two monikers ─ "hissingnoise" and the present incarnation!

[*] posted on 8-1-2012 at 06:33

Quote:
Quote:
I did not know why, but I hardly was able to walk for few days after this acident.

This was probably caused by extreme stress levels you were exposed to.

Well, the effects of blast on human tissue . . .

P
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 8-1-2012 at 19:31

Five one liners in five different threads. Working on your post count? Little post-whorish, don't you think?

Quote:
Don't ever let somebody tell you can't do something. You got a dream, you gotta protect it!

When we step on the battlefield, I will be The First Boots On and the Last Boots Off.

Whatever is worth doing is worth doing well.

When we step on the battlefield, I will be The First Boots On and the Last Boots Off.

Don't ever let somebody tell you can't do something. You got a dream, you gotta protect it!

~Lenting, in five different threads.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
caterpillar
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-1-2012 at 20:24

I think, my inability to walk was cased by loss of some blood. At the night (5-7 ours after explosion) I was able to reach toilet, but with difficulty. next day I urinated into (I do not know this english word, in russian it is called "duck"). When I started to walk, I had twice to stop when I was going up to my second floor where my bed was. But I discovered, that such sort of death is absolutely painless. The first thing what I did when I had returned back from hospital was the next few grams of mercury fulminate. I cannot tell to you nor to myself, what it was? Stupidity or stabborness? Or something else? Later I replaced this primer with acetone peroxide. No toxic metalls, wery simple route to this compound. But after some years I leaved wonderful world of hi explosives. Now I'm a programmer and use another methods to get my dope of adrenaline (mountains and paragliding).

johansen
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-1-2012 at 00:39

Quote: Originally posted by caterpillar  
I was one meter from my charge, when it exploded. I didn't loose my mind and remember flying grass (actually it was me, who flyed above it) I felt no pain and was able to get to home with my byke. At that evening I was in hospital. I did not know why, but I hardly was able to walk for few days after this acident.

Had the charge been a bit bigger, you would not have been able to move after you woke up. They probably had you on drugs in the hospital. I'm not sure if its the chemicals the body releases or something else, but what you experienced is not uncommon, though it differs in magnitude, and how much pain you feel afterward.
caterpillar
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-1-2012 at 02:55

You think too good about our hospital. I got no painkillers at all. Thay only bandage me. There was another reason that I was so weak for few days. I put charge into thin tin from under pea. One of my friends, who was in Aphanistan, told me that an ordinary hand grenade hardly can kill a man. Only one with thick body that produces heavy splinters.

franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-12-2012 at 00:54

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=22554

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=15150&...

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=15150&...

Pages:  1  ..  6    8

Go To Top