Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Formaldehyde at home - how safe is it?
jonco
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-6-2011 at 13:21
Formaldehyde at home - how safe is it?

I am planning to purchase 500ml of 40% formaldehyde for some experiments at home. How safe is this, and what is the best way to store it, and use it?
mnick12
Hazard to Others

Mood: devious

[*] posted on 6-6-2011 at 13:30

I have a gallon or so of the stuff in my fridge, and have had it there for about 2 years. So far no problems other than the precipitation of some paraformaldehyde. I dont think it even needs to be refridgerated, the only reason why I do that is to minimize the smell when I open it. So yes you should be fine with 500ml.
jonco
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-6-2011 at 13:42

I was afraid I might get cancer from it considering all the things you read about it online and the media. People have made it seem like taking a whiff of it would kill you. Is this scare mongering?

Anyway, what is a suitable container to store it in? Does it need a gas tight lid? Also, what precautions do you take when you open it/use it? Do you do it outside, or do you have a fume hood etc?
Is it safe to store it in the fridge with foodstuff in there?
Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-6-2011 at 13:47

Well yes it is carcinogenic, but many things are. Many, many people use great amounts (farmers for example) to decontaminate things and it is used for many other things. I would not worry too much, but use good ventilation, so work outside.
digitalemu
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-6-2011 at 13:57

Storing the stuff is completely safe if kept in it's bottle with the seal intact. Storing in the garage or in your basement is fine provided it's sealed properly. I would not go around inhaling large quantities, but a brief whiff of the stuff is not going to instantly cause cancer.

mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 6-6-2011 at 15:15

Think about all the med students with the cadavers and how much formaldehyde they are exposed to. Should be fine

Formalin is sold as a treatment for some disease in aquariums and fish ponds. Paraformaldehde is a solid and can be used instead of the solution

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
redox
Hazard to Others

Mood: Chalcogenetic

[*] posted on 6-6-2011 at 16:40

If you can smell the formaldehyde around the mouth of the bottle, wrap some electrical tape or wax tape around the closure. It will help.

Anyway, formaldehyde isn't that bad. But yes, minimize your exposure.

My quite small but growing Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/RealChemLabs

Newest video: Synthesis of Chloroform

The difference between chemists and chemical engineers: Chemists use test tubes, chemical engineers use buckets.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 7-6-2011 at 00:37

When I was 20 or so, I used shampoo, containing 1% formaldehyde as listed as one of its ingredients. I have used that shampoo for many years. One day, the label said "NEW, BETTER, BLA BLA" and from that day there was no more formaldehyde in it anymore. The ingredient was silently removed. I do not think that I have any adverse effects of the use of this shampoo.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
azo
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-6-2011 at 01:21

Well i hate to tell you this but you are using it every day.
It is used in everything from antiseptic hand soaps ,dishwash liquid,mechanics hand cleaners,shampoos,laundry liquids and so on as well as other uses.
The amount used in these products is only 0.1 to 0.2% as a perservative
As for storage there is no problem just don't spill large amounts that would not smell good.I use it every day, just dont stick your nose over the container it will knock your head of defently clear your sinusis.
And buy the way woolen they proberly removed the formaldehyde and replaced it with triclosan which is worse it is under investigation in australia by the tga for a carcnegen

regards azo

[Edited on 7-6-2011 by azo]
Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-6-2011 at 04:32

The fact that it is in everything is actually a reason to be cautious when using it.

I've read warnings that claimed repeated high exposures can trigger an allergic response to formaldehyde, it can become a super allergy similar to repeated exposure to epoxies resins. But I'm not a doctor and I'm not positive if it is a chemophobic or legit warning :P.

I did know a biologist whose hands broke out in bloody sores if she handled the crinkly wrapping tissue paper, she qwould react to the micro amounts of formaldehyde. Other things had a worse and greater affect. She had to insure everything she brought into her house was formaldehyde free... which is tricky given it's in everything.

Go To Top