Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Suggestion for new forum section.
axehandle
Free Radical

Mood: horny

[*] posted on 12-3-2004 at 04:21
Suggestion for new forum section.

"Materials science and apparatus <b>construction</b>"

Many postings concern apparatus construction using materials and methods not normally employed. These postings now go into the "Reagents and Apparatus...".

Examples for things that would fit in this new section would be refractory mixes, concrete mixes, metal casting of plugs/components, resistant canister materials, usage of old material in new ways, usage of new materials in old ways, making clay retorts, making high-temperature burners, constructing your own bunsen burner, construction of thermostats, using electronics for process control, etc. I feel I have a lot to contribute in this area.

I'm not completely sure if adding this section would be a good idea, it could be confusing. On the other hand, it might serve to un-confuse things.

Neither am I sure it's a good idea, it's just something that just struck me.

What do you all think? Feel free to flame me, I'm wearing asbestos clothes...

My PGP key, Fingerprint 5D96 E09E 365D 1867 2DF5 C2FE 4269 9C19 E079 CD35

\"Verbing nouns weirds the language!\"
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

thumbdown.gif posted on 12-3-2004 at 07:30

I wondered about something like this but the materials for construction of any kind of unique apparatus are individualized by the specific apparatus being constructed and therefore relevantly talked about in the thread in which you discuss exactly what you're making how you plan on making it. You know, because the materials of construction have more to do with the chemicals produced then being separate from them.

Take for example my phosphorus retorts, clay works, but not clay pots, they crack, need fire clay, fire clay is not openly available to me and difficult to fire, therefore use metal, metal makes phosphides so either risk that or coat inside with fluorocarbon spray. Also my hydrazine research has yielded some strange information, such as it can explode from contacting a ground glass joint, and that it should be distilled in silver retorts.

Sure, the new forum could have threads posted in it just like our current ones listing a chemical in the subject and therein we would discuss the features unique to that chemical and the difficulties posed in constructing any sort of apparatus or the simplicity of it. However, doing this will be in my mind confusing in that threads will also be open for the chemical elsewhere and multiple threads may be going at the same time with the same chemical. In addition, the properties of refectory materials such as reactivity can easily be discussed in general chemistry along with their reactivity under give conditions.

Just my rambling thoughts. In summary, a new section just does not seem necessary, a subdivision to the sciencemadness board that does not need to occur, especially after it was divided so very recently.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
axehandle
Free Radical

[*] posted on 12-3-2004 at 08:51

Good point. I think now that my idea came as a result of my way of storing information.

Example: When I sort canisters on a shelf, I don't sort them by contents, but by canister material.

Actually I might store information in my brain in a way that's totally alien to everyone else. Or perhaps just to the majority? I don't know...

This is really not my field, a librarian with an expertise in data structures would come in handy here.

Anyways, I realize that while my idea perhaps had at least <i>some</i> merit, it would only lead to a different way of storing all the information on the board, a way that the majority probably would find less useful.

I withdraw my suggestion, and plead stupidity. :)

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 12-3-2004 at 19:41
generic equipment

Axehandle, I don't think your idea here is stupid at all. But Bromic Acid's points are well taken.

Please read Organikum's recent post for a general purpose tube furnace development made from commonly available materials. This is in essence a gas-phase continuous reactor with fixed bed catalysis option. This will be a generic piece of equipment. However, as Bromic says, it will not be suitable for all such reactions, due to materials of construction, temperature, pressure, and other limitations.
axehandle
Free Radical

[*] posted on 13-3-2004 at 13:20

Well, my idea <i>was</i> stupid.... but thanks for being polite :)

I'm following Organikum's thread with great interest.

axehandle
Free Radical

[*] posted on 13-3-2004 at 17:07
New idea

What about a chat? It could be IRC (*shudder*) or something else.... I'd be more than happy to help, I'm a systems administrator by trade.... with a special expertise in Unix/Linux based systems.

Go To Top