Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Recover Tungsten From Tungsten Carbide Scrap
mdkothari
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-6-2011 at 23:37
Recover Tungsten From Tungsten Carbide Scrap

hi
can anyone suggest a way to recover tungsten (as metal or any salt) from tunsten carbide waste.
regards
bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-6-2011 at 05:36

Sodium hydroxide solution and air should give you sodium tungstate in solution. But you might want to look at patents for this. If you're dealing with sintered tooling inserts, then binders used to cement the tungsten carbide particles (molybdenum or cobalt or what have you) may also dissolve and I have no idea whether you are aiming for a selective process that would leave that stuff behind.
mdkothari
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-6-2011 at 21:39

thanks
i am working here with different method in the lab. will update soon
a_bab
Hazard to Others

Mood: Angry !!!!!111111...2?!

[*] posted on 19-6-2011 at 22:22

A long refluxing with con. nitric acid will get the Co matrix in solution. The W is in the form of WC as a fine powder.
froot
Hazard to Others

Mood: refluxed

[*] posted on 20-6-2011 at 01:35

Quote: Originally posted by mdkothari  
thanks
i am working here with different method in the lab. will update soon

Please do.

Wiki mentioned that WC is only attacked by F2 or HF/HNO3 mixture, stuff I don't want near me.

Wiki also mentioned that WC has been considered as a substitute for Pt as a hydrogen catalyst. How true is this? If so then that would bring a home fabricated hydrogen electrode right down within my realm of possibilities.

We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
CaliusOptimus
Hazard to Self

Mood: Subjectively Objective

[*] posted on 25-6-2011 at 12:32

ive got an addition to the question.

in the manufacture of carbide tooling, WC grinding sludge is generated as a byproduct. it is a mixture of:

WC powder (plus a cobalt binder, usually around 10%)
grinding coolant (oil or water based)
Al2O3 from dressing sticks
a small amount of diamond and bonding material from the grinding wheel
possibly organic and other contaminants

how would one remove the tungsten from such a mixture?

[Edited on 25-6-2011 by CaliusOptimus]
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-6-2011 at 14:21

Wash with non-polar solvent to remove oils, then with water to pull water soluble/miscible coolant and trash. Hot HCl should remove the cobalt matrix, the higher cobalt oxides reduce the HCl forming CoCl2 and water and some Cl2.

To get the tungsten consider

http://hdl.handle.net/10204/529

Quote:
Aliquots of powdered tungsten carbide were dissolved in a solution of 5% aqua regia in 30% hydrogen peroxide. Complete dissolution was usually achieved within 10 min. The accuracy of the method was assessed by the analysis of certified reference materials, secondary reference materials and matrix spiking. The method was successfully applied to commercial type samples with differing compositions. Slightly more emphasis was placed on the measurement of vanadium, since no information on the measurement of-this element in solutions of tungsten carbide, by ICP-OES, has been published. The purpose of the study was to provide an alternative, more rapid and less expensive method of dissolving tungsten carbide–cobalt using only nitric acid, hydrochloric acid, hydrogen peroxide and tartaric acid.

Al2O3 and silicates are reasonable resistant to non-fluoride-containing acids, and will remain behind.

Quote: Originally posted by froot  
Wiki also mentioned that WC has been considered as a substitute for Pt as a hydrogen catalyst. How true is this?...

Welcome to the world of research, in which Google an be a friend.

Go To Top